SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero Montado and Single Six question...

Driften

Howdy!

With my aging eyes I am finding the front sight on shorter barrels to focus better for me. I know the Montado hammer is now legal for SASS, does anybody know if the Ruger Vaquero Montado that are at Davidsons have the grooved front strap? Back in 2009 when the change was made to allow the hammer Ruger said the Montado was then legal other then needing to change the front strap. I just don't know if production changed on them after that. I guess I could get my hands on a replacement grip frame and swap them if needed. I would hate to grind down the front strap on a limited production gun. I like the idea of buying one while I can even if I can't shoot a match with it. If for some reason they have smooth front straps I would by two ;)

My match guns currently are EMF New Hartfords but I am starting to get into Rugers. I have a Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP that I really like, so what thinking while I had some bonus money available to get a Vaquero or two. Actually part of my problem is I have three of the Hartfords to split between me and the wife. It would be nice to have at least 4 match guns so we can be in line together on a stage.

Second questions.... I have seen on Davidsons sight a very cool looking fixed sight Single Six with the case colored frame. Would it be a good way to practice with cheep ammo? I don't have any .22lr revolvers and my Ruger MKII has target adjustable sights. Are the fixed sight Single Six work well or should I get a standard adjustable sight version? I sure like the clean looks of the fixed sight.

Thanks for the help guys!

Driften

I finally found a page that gives me an answer on the Montado... A post from last month on THR shows the ones at Davidson's now don't have the grooved front strap. So I am going to place an order for a pair... I hope that helps others..

Any comments on the Single Six fixed vs adjustable sights would still be great.

Howdy!

With my aging eyes I am finding the front sight on shorter barrels to focus better for me. I know the Montado hammer is now legal for SASS, does anybody know if the Ruger Vaquero Montado that are at Davidsons have the grooved front strap? Back in 2009 when the change was made to allow the hammer Ruger said the Montado was then legal other then needing to change the front strap. I just don't know if production changed on them after that. I guess I could get my hands on a replacement grip frame and swap them if needed. I would hate to grind down the front strap on a limited production gun. I like the idea of buying one while I can even if I can't shoot a match with it. If for some reason they have smooth front straps I would by two ;)

My match guns currently are EMF New Hartfords but I am starting to get into Rugers. I have a Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP that I really like, so what thinking while I had some bonus money available to get a Vaquero or two. Actually part of my problem is I have three of the Hartfords to split between me and the wife. It would be nice to have at least 4 match guns so we can be in line together on a stage.

Second questions.... I have seen on Davidsons sight a very cool looking fixed sight Single Six with the case colored frame. Would it be a good way to practice with cheep ammo? I don't have any .22lr revolvers and my Ruger MKII has target adjustable sights. Are the fixed sight Single Six work well or should I get a standard adjustable sight version? I sure like the clean looks of the fixed sight.

Thanks for the help guys!

Driften

I have a pair of Single Sixes with Adj. sights. Shoot them at indoor winter matches. I don't practice, so cannot comment about using them for it. They are lighter and smaller than my Ruger 50th Ann. Blackhawks which have the Colt-size frame. The Single Sixes have the usual Ruger rugedness and will outlive most of us. They are also an ideal trail gun as the come with an extra .22 mag. cylinder. I suggest trying one to see if you like it.

Archived