SASS Wire Forum

Whatever it's "flaws," SASS is a great game

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Well, as the snow retreats here in New England, it'll soon be time to start the SASS season in earnest again. (Yes, there have been some shoots already this year, but I have not been able to get to them) As I working on loading up my empty brass and take stock of my arsenal and consider how I'd like to expand it, I am reminded of a few things...

1. Even though many of us have one or two things about the game that think could make it "better," be it a new category, the inclusion of something that is forbidden or the exclusion of of something that is allowed, or a modification of some specific rule, of whatever, we don't let that personal preference idea stop us from coming to shoots and having a heck of a lot of fun on as many weekends as possible.

2. This is a game that has turned many causal reloaders into borderline experts, possibly in multiple calibers.

3. Our game has caused a resurgance in the marketplace of old timey guns. This, I think, is very good.

4. You get to meet a lot of great people. I think that's prolly the best part of all.

So what else is that makes SASS great?

Sometimes the 'greatness' of things are hard to put into words. Yeah...folks ya meet and the shooting fun....but there's somethin' else....just can't find the words for it :D

...but flaws??? too much of the 'good' things kinda blinds me from the 'flaws' ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Sometimes the 'greatness' of things are hard to put into words. Yeah...folks ya meet and the shooting fun....but there's somethin' else....just can't find the words for it :D

...but flaws??? too much of the 'good' things kinda blinds me from the 'flaws' ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

..... +1

................. a good mouthfull of good words, .... I concurr :)

Yup

It's the most enjoyable hobby (if that's the right term) I've ever had.

Start to look forward to the next match when I'm driving home from the one I've just shot. :lol:

--Dawg

I pays my money and I takes my chances. :lol:

I can't think of any negatives when I think about Cowboy Shooting!

1. Where else can you be a kid again and enjoy being a Cowboy? :lol:

2. The folks you meet are just fantasitic...all except that one! :wacko::)

3. Your able to travel to far away places and shoot with new friends

and at the same time see some of the wonderful sights this country

provides? :wub:

4. Where else can you shoot these fun guns from the past? Before SASS

you could only do it at night and only in your dreams, right? ;)

All I know for sure these days is it's a great way to spend your retirement

and enjoy life's little pleasures........Dont't forget your spending the kids

inheritance too. :rolleyes:

Happy trails pards and have a great weekend!

QDG/Mike

I started shooting 2 years ago when my buddy Dusty Levis dragged me to a shoot to watch the people in the funny clothes .

I was hooked the first time I very slooowly shot . Now im selling my motorcycle so I have more time to shoot . My wife

to be said that this is not a hobby (sport) its a cult :lol: anyway I love it . March 19 cant get here fast enough .

El Muerto Negro

The only "flaw" I see is I didn't get into it sooner!

You meet the best people, dress up like your heros of yesteryear and shoot things. What could be more fun? :D

The only flaws are the people... but by far, they're the greatest folks you'd want to meet.

The absolute greatest thing about our sport is it's inclusiveness. No other sport allows duffers like me and pure newbs to compete on the same team (posse) with world champions. You can't just waltz onto the field with the Yankees or the Steelers but in CAS you can. I shot with at least one black badge today. You might find yourself at your first shoot on the same posse with the current world champ.

It don't get no better'n that right there. Also the total willingness of everyone including our champs to help everyone else to the fullest extent. Every other game is cut-throat, not ours.

I shot clay targets in most of the different disciplines for 30 years, great sport but you 'gotta shoot possibles no matter what grade your in & then there's the shoot off..just gradually lost interest & but probably more likely the 'competitive edge...started 'cowboy 4 years ago & absolutely look forward to every shoot..still bust the clays maybe twice a year.

The things I like most are everyone can choose how they want to compete..as in fast, slow, clean matches, black or smokeless, dress up to the hilt, .45 or .38 ...yep there's a way there for everyone !

And the people..well I don't think there is any better.

Different clubs , different stages, the list goes on....

Luv it that much that in only 12 weeks now some mates & I will be coming over for a month of shooting...so I'd say the bug has well & truly bitten me !

I love

---the connection to our heritage. If this were England, it'd be knights in shining armour.

---the day's get away, the day's vacation to feel closer the earth and nature out of town, rather than the hustle and bustle of city life.

---the mind-shift from the modern to the old west. It's Westworld, without the glitches.

---the precision practice at something I can grow with through life.

---the cordiality, friendliness, the gentlemanly behavior, the way people treat others---often like the way others, elsewhere in the world, ought to but often don't.

---a reversion to some values of respect for people and our history that are often missing elsewhere.

---It's refreshing.

Aunt Jen

I haven't seen another sport where if you equipment malfunctions or breaks down altogether that your fellow "competitors" practically throw theirs at you so you can keep shooting.

The people make this sport - and like Allie Mo - I love the hugs!!! Met someone new at a shoot yesterday and got a hand thrust at me. I grabbed it and told 'em I don't shake hands, I hug!

I haven't seen another sport where if you equipment malfunctions or breaks down altogether that your fellow "competitors" practically throw theirs at you so you can keep shooting.

The people make this sport - and like Allie Mo - I love the hugs!!! Met someone new at a shoot yesterday and got a hand thrust at me. I grabbed it and told 'em I don't shake hands, I hug!

OMG! I said that to someone at our last match! :lol:

...1. Even though many of us have one or two things about the game that think could make it "better," ...

So what else is that makes SASS great?

The game is definitely a case of "the glass is half full".

Those "... things about the game that could make it "better," ...for me those are all on the human side. I am flabbergasted at the folks that think the game should change to suit them.

This ain't T-ball folks.

Olen

Guest Mace Bishop

We had our first shoot of the year yesterday. When the alarm went off, I just wanted to stay in bed and sleep. Everything changed when I got to the range. All it took was a handshake and a "good morning" and I was glad to be up and there. I enjoy the shooting and don't pay any attention to the discussions on rules and suggested changes. It's really the oppertunity to meet folks and enjoy their company. To me, the only shortcoming of this game is that I'll never be able to meet all you folks.

Hope you all have an enjoyable time this year shooting and hope to see some you down the trail.

Mace

The game is definitely a case of "the glass is half full".

Those "... things about the game that could make it "better," ...for me those are all on the human side. I am flabbergasted at the folks that think the game should change to suit them.

This ain't T-ball folks.

Olen

My glass is always 3/4 full. :lol:

SASS is a great game. What other sport or game is there where you can walk onto the field (so to speak) without being selected or invited. Once you show you can shoot, doesn't matter how well just safely, you can posse-up with the best in the game, the very first day. Who cares how well you score, nobody but you. As long as you keep showing up you're in the game. The people they just don't get any better. Oh, and ya get to dress up like a cowboy and shoot ole timey type guns. My kind of fun!!

I've had the greatest time shooting 'old' guns as fast as I could. That would get me kicked out of any 'ordinary' range.

The thing that I like most about SASS is the people and how kind they've been to me and my daughters. Once I started my daughters (10 & 12) shooting, all of the cowboys/cowgirls have been nothing but kind and helpful to them while making sure they are being safe.

+1 on having some of the best shooters in the country take the time to give you tips along the way.

That's Lorelei's standard line!

I love this game! Where else can a fat old guy shoot a stage while screaming and yelling, hit all the targets while taking almost a minute, and get congratulated at the stage end by

a World Champion? Besides, I gets to hug the purty women, too!!!:wub:

My only regret is that my Dad passed away before I found this game. He would have loved this.

Like some others said...

I have been thinking about how unique this sport is, in that, someone who is shooting for the first time or shooting very slowly (like myself)

can be shooting with the folks that are really good at this.... and then we can all congradulate or commissorate together.

I asked someone if they were coming to Comin' At Cha. Their response was "oh I'm not good enough to shoot a big match like that"

Oh my goodness! They let me shoot! Am I supposed to wait until I'm really good at this before I go to the big matches?

If that's the case I may never get to a big match.

Good folks, of all ages, and of all levels of ability, shooting together that is what makes SASS a great game.

And shooting with someone for the first time and by the end of the weekend feeling like you are old friends...that's just a great feeling.

All the smiles and hugs... like folks are genuinely glad I'm there, that's what makes me keep coming back.

I have been in it for a little over 6 months. This past weekend at Bayou Blast ment so much to me. The people,the people,the people.I may never get to a big match again but I will never forget this one.The people,the people ,the people.

Like some others said...

I have been thinking about how unique this sport is, in that, someone who is shooting for the first time or shooting very slowly (like myself)

can be shooting with the folks that are really good at this.... and then we can all congradulate or commissorate together.

I asked someone if they were coming to Comin' At Cha. Their response was "oh I'm not good enough to shoot a big match like that"

Oh my goodness! They let me shoot! Am I supposed to wait until I'm really good at this before I go to the big matches?

If that's the case I may never get to a big match.

Good folks, of all ages, and of all levels of ability, shooting together that is what makes SASS a great game.

And shooting with someone for the first time and by the end of the weekend feeling like you are old friends...that's just a great feeling.

All the smiles and hugs... like folks are genuinely glad I'm there, that's what makes me keep coming back.

Hi Complicated,

I've tried explaining that to folks who've only shot a few matches. Unfortunately, some new folks don't get it until they've been around a while. Once they are safe and know the routine, which is basically help and be ready when it is your turn, that's all the rest of us care about.

My third match was a local annual. I came in 101 out of 101. Hey, someone has to be last. Don't let pride interfere with fun.

One thing I did know I needed after that match was not skill, it was a RV! :lol:

I guess it helped that I have never been good at sports so I did not need to excel to have fun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Complicated,

I've tried explaining that to folks who've only shot a few matches. Unfortunately, some new folks don't get it until they've been around a while. Once they are safe and know the routine, which is basically help and be ready when it is your turn, that's all the rest of us care about.

My third match was a local annual. I came in 101 out of 101. Hey, someone has to be last. Don't let pride interfere with fun.

One thing I did know I needed after that match was not skill, it was a RV! :lol:

I guess it helped that I have never been good at sports so I did not need to excel to have fun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

The first year I shot Comin At Cha, I won a beautiful jewelry box. I won it for coming in dead last... out of over 300 shooters.

Now I tell everyone that my goal is to never win another jewelry box.

I have never been good at sports either but this is one I can keep improving at....as long as I only compare my scores to my own scores of the past.

Don't let pride interfere with fun. I like that!

Archived