SASS Wire Forum

What is a "conversion" revolver?

The Original Bad Bob

I saw a gun for sale online recently that looked like a black powder Civil War era Army, but it took cartridges. It was described as a "conversion" revolver.

Were a lot of these converted to take cartridges before the Peacemaker type came out? What caliber -- 44-40?

I saw a gun for sale online recently that looked like a black powder Civil War era Army, but it took cartridges. It was described as a "conversion" revolver.

Were a lot of these converted to take cartridges before the Peacemaker type came out? What caliber -- 44-40?

You can get conversions of the 58 Remington, 1860 Army and 51 Navy. They shoot various calibers and use conversion cylinders.

Before (and after) the 72 and 73 Colts came out, a lot of guns were converted to shoot cartridges. Some by using new cylinders and some by boring out the original cylinder.

Uberti

Untold numbers of guns were converted to cartridge use both during the period before the factory cartridge revolvers hit the scene and for decades afterward. Then as now, guns don't simply disappear when newer models come out, and well into the 1880s and 90s most "revolving pistols" were either cap and ball guns or were conversions that started out that way.

Check out these websites for more information:

http://www.sixguns.com/range/cartridgeconversions.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Metallic-Cartridge-Conversions-History-Reproductions/dp/0873493370

Caliber is entirely dependent on the barrel's original bore, as reboring a gun is difficult and therefore expensive.

In case you were curious, I recently got a R&D conversion cylinder for my Uberti 1861. I had to sand just a microscopic little bit to get it to fit properly, and it now works very well. The gun was a .36 caliber cap-and-ball, so I tried it out using .38 Special Wadcutters and found it to be VERY accurate and fun to shoot. It is a welcome alternative to the expensive .45 LC ammunition I've been shooting. I've been told that the factory spring is too powerful for an R&D cylinder, but a lightened replacement spring is very easy to install so I've ordered one from Midway. I give it a thumbs up.

-Solo Sam

Here's a pair of repro 1861 Colt Navy Richards Conversions manufactured by American Frontier Firearms (AFF).

Chambered & barrelled for .38 Colt/Special.

A born-again pistol.... :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

GG beat me to it.

Only I was gonna say "a revolver that found religion."

Or maybe it's the revolver that is pointed at your face when YOU find religion.

:D

Archived