SASS Wire Forum

who can take nickel off a pistol?

Irish Pat

I have found out that i am allergic to nickel.. Bummer as i have always loved nickeled pistols who can strip nickel plating and blue a revolver for me, irish pat, sass 19486

I have found out that i am allergic to nickel.. Bummer as i have always loved nickeled pistols who can strip nickel plating and blue a revolver for me, irish pat, sass 19486

You gotta be kiddin, dat sounds like some of my luck! Good luck.

RRR

Most any plating company can do that. They use the same process as when it is plated but reverse the polarity and pull the nickle away instead of adding it. This is usually the first step in re-plating parts.

The Blueing is another story.

By removing the nickle you will introduce "loose" to the revolver. Not a good thing. The plating adds dimension to the gun, it might only be some thousandths of an inch, but it is enough to make all the difference in the world.

If the allergy only manifests itself through skin contact, you might get away with stripping the plating only from the areas that contact your skin , but if you go any further, the gun will become a "wallhanger".

From my experience, the most effective way to remove (ruin) electroplating is with battery (sulfuric) acid.

It takes barely any time in contact and the plating will peel right off. High pressure air blown at an obliche angle will cause the plating to fly off in ribbons after it's surface tension is broken with the acid etching first.

Honestly, the whole idea is a really bad idea. Find a gun that isn't nickled, you will be much happier with the end result.

My dog can eat a dog biscuit off its nose!

Not sure that's gonna help ya much.

I'd either wrap the parts you touch with "period correct electrical tape", or swap 'em for some blue ones.

I got a shotgun for my wife. Best trade I made all week!

Dont forget to tip your server!. I'll be here all week.

Irish-Pat: Contact APWCOGAN They are the finest firearm plater in the country. They could strip the nickel and hard chrome the pistol. It is the one of the best firearm finishes and they are THE best place in the country to do it.

I'll take the pistol off you for a nickel.

Oh geez... how would he spend the nickel? Hes allergic! :P

Now I know a couple girls that can hoover the chrome off a bumper. eh? eh?

By removing the nickle you will introduce "loose" to the revolver. Not a good thing. The plating adds dimension to the gun, it might only be some thousandths of an inch, but it is enough to make all the difference in the world.

If the allergy only manifests itself through skin contact, you might get away with stripping the plating only from the areas that contact your skin , but if you go any further, the gun will become a "wallhanger".

From my experience, the most effective way to remove (ruin) electroplating is with battery (sulfuric) acid.

It takes barely any time in contact and the plating will peel right off. High pressure air blown at an obliche angle will cause the plating to fly off in ribbons after it's surface tension is broken with the acid etching first.

Honestly, the whole idea is a really bad idea. Find a gun that isn't nickled, you will be much happier with the end result.

Plating should only be a couple of ten-thousandths of an inch (< one thousandth)- not enough to matter, and probably less than the +/- tolerance on the part.

Some choices :

1. Fords

2. Rons

3. Coal Creek

4. Turnbull

There are probably a ton of folks who can strip Chrome - any good plating shop can do it for you for little charge,

it's the "putting it back together with a new finish" that costs a bit . . . .

Might also contact the original manufacturer to see what services they offer . .

Shadow Catcher

My family had a plating business, removing that is going to be EXPENSIVE!! Unlike chrome and electroless nickel which is applied directly to the metal , nickel if done correctly has a copper base under it. That shiney nickel sheets on the metal, meaning it does not adhere well which is why it flakes. Most GOOD platers to include whomever does Colts use a base coat of copper which adheres to steel better. The nickel is applied over it. So you have two metals / processes to reverse.

Anydody with an older nickeled Colt ever pull their grips and see green in the corners?? That green is the copper oxidizing.

I agree with Bob Cogan at APW .....top notch work. OR find an aero space grade plater in your area if you can tear the gun down yourself you'd save a bunch.

Best of luck

Howdy Pat - you didn't mention what kind of pistols you have. If you like the shiny look, is there a chance you could trade them for identical ones in polished stainless? Seems it would be a more economical alternative.

In the end it sounds like it would be easier/cheaper to move to a new set either by trading out or purchase.

I have to add, There was this woman I knew...could suck the chrome off a....(you know the rest) :D

I want two copper plated pistols.

Elmer Kieth, in "Sixguns" mentions that he had one. Liked the looks of it. He got the gun from some local backwoods character, who had traded a woman for it. No, she wasn't the previous owner, she was what he traded for it!

Hey Taco Bill, What are you doing to our pard Pat? It seems that he might need to move away from that town of his. I think he might be too close to the Mississippi River. That's why I moved from Baton Rouge. Walked outside one night and noticed that I was glowing in the dark; figured it was all them chemicals that them boys north of us dump into the water to make that crop grow. Pat are you sure that them guns were not from the River Bend Reactors area?

Hey Irish Pat,

Contact Alan Harton of Single Action Service over here in Houston, Texas. There is another gentleman that is taking off the nickel on a rifle bolt that was flaking for me and reapply it back on. One of the options was to reblue the bolt. his name and phone number escapes me at this time. If you need it, contact me with a PM. I can go to the file cabinet and get it.

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

I have been looking for some nickle 45s

maybe a trade of some kind-PM me ;)

Gee, would removing the nickle de-value the gun? Trade it for something new before you ruin it.

Archived