SASS Wire Forum

45 Colt Loads

Cowboy45

Just getting started in CAS. Shootin New model Ruger Vaqueros (7 1/2")and a Marlin Cowboy Limited (24")all in 45LC.

Would like some input on some good loads for these guns. I want to use the same loads for rifle and revolvers. My second hobby is reloading and have everything it takes to do it right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frontier Flash

Good starting point - a load with Clays that makes a 200 grain RNFP slug depart your revolvers at about 700 FPS. Crimp tight, should be pretty clean and very easy on your mitts. Since you got a manual or two, should be able to find that load.

Good luck, GJ

Take a look at Alliant and Hodgdon. Alliant makes some great powders, my favorite is Unique. A lot of shooters like Hodgdon's Clays.

Alliant

Hodgdon

Personally, I stuff mine full of FFg.

And some like Trail Boss and FFg. Sorry, just couldn't pass up Driftwood's straight line. :D

You got some great advice.

That is an outstanding rifle load.

For a revolver, more information is needed. How old are you? What is your health insurance like? Do you enjoy pain? Do you like inflicting pain on others?

Very Best Regards,

BJT

57 years of age in excellent health

45s were made to go BOOM!

Different folks shoot .45s for different reasons.

I am one of the few who shoots .45s, but competes with the fast guys shooting .38s. You can do it, but not with heavy loads.

I shoot a 200 gn bullet at 600 fps out of my pistols. My wife (a tall, thin lady) has no trouble with these loads. These rounds knock everything down. One load for everything in every match.

-tex fiddler

Different folks shoot .45s for different reasons.

I am one of the few who shoots .45s, but competes with the fast guys shooting .38s. You can do it, but not with heavy loads.

I shoot a 200 gn bullet at 600 fps out of my pistols. My wife (a tall, thin lady) has no trouble with these loads. These rounds knock everything down. One load for everything in every match.

-tex fiddler

Hi Tex.....Interested to know what powder you use.

Tex loads his .45s about a half-grain lighter than I do. I've fired his load and it works just fine but I chose to load just a tad heavier. Nothing wrong with the load Tex uses. I just like a little more "oomph". I also like to run with the big dogs and their .38s and I have no trouble keeping up. My .45 loads will knock anything down you put in front of them and won't kill your joints by the end of the day. The .45 can be loaded up or down to the user's delight.

With an alias like Cowboy 45, there's only one way to stoke them .45s, with Cowboy .45 Specials of course ;) My pistol load is a 125 grainer at 530 fps. In the rifle, I go all out with 160s at maybe 650 fps :)

:P Whimp! Hey, AJ, when you gonna get on yer scooter and come down and shoot wid us? I don't get up that far north so much any more! Would love to sit down again and chew some more coffe! :D

I shot my new .45 cowboy specials today filled with APP FFFg. That ain't a wimpy cartridge! It rocked the plates on their stands and made a heap of smokey air!

Thanks AJ for making these available.

:P Whimp! Hey, AJ, when you gonna get on yer scooter and come down and shoot wid us? I don't get up that far north so much any more! Would love to sit down again and chew some more coffe! :D

Doin just that is on the bucket list, Griff. Dunno how things are gonna play out this year, but one never knows..... I might have to bring some good coffee with me, I hear tell there ain't no such thing in TX, HAR!

Archived