SASS Wire Forum

What you fellers do for a living?

Red River Ray SASS#33254

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I help all you cowboys and cowgirls get to the ranges you can't find. I'm a software engineer at Garmin. As I think about it, maybe I need to add all the SASS clubs to the maps....

RB

Rowdy, It's about time you did something worth wild to those things! Rowdy was the person who put the "RECALCULATING" program in your GPS units to mess with ya! :lol:

Me? I've been a full time donut eater, I mean Deputy Sheriff for the past 16 years. :P

At or around April 29th I will be a full time Dad! Again! (his alias is Law's Lil' Outlaw) My other child is 23 and has one of her own who's now 6 months old.

9 more years and I'll retire and find something else to do. Hopefully a stay home dad and full time cowboy shooter. :)

JEL

Well I started out as a gun-hand, was purdy good too!!

Rustled a few cows, borrowed a horse or two.

Worked the Lincoln county war fer a while.

Hell I was on both sides!!

Things were kinda hot so wandered up north and shot sod-busters fer a few years.

And a bunch of them sheep-herders on my own...you don't see no kids playing sheepboy do ya!!

Went inta the Banks and Stagecoach business...robbin em!!

Done Dang good too, made a killin!!

Worked my way up to head of the gang.

Done that fer 20 year, stashed alot of coin!!

Things change and I'm to dang old ta chase trains, so I retired.

Than a sorry pard name Bernie, made off with my stash!!

Rotten SOB...I earned that money!!

Hope that SOB don't have no youngins!!

Now I'm stick-up artist in Tombstone, pickings is easy!!

Some dumb-ass name Wyatt wont let folks carry guns in town!!!!

Just stick your Colt in their ear ta earn money for Beer!!

HA!! ain't life grand!!!!!!!!

BAD HOMBRE

TV NEWS GUY.

Started in local news in Midland, Tx in 1977 as the guy who loaded the commercials on the big 2" tape machines and the film chain, and also processed newsfilm in the dark room. It is a real P.I.T.A. to have a spool get away from ya in the dark before you can corral it with the split reel!

In 1979 moved to San Antonio as a "videographer". Became asst. chief photog & editing supervisor, then Chief Photog.

Left SA in 85 for an 18 month stint in Nashville. Wifey & I HATED Nashville! It was too green!. We could not see the sky for all the trees and needed to get back to "God's colors"-brown and blue, so 3 months after our daughter was born, we moved to the DFW area in 1987. "The Boy (Lobo Timmy) was born in 1989 and he is "scary smart and a guitar vituoso. The Girl is an Aggie who loves birds and is currently working at Ft. Hood doing research on the "endangered Golden Cheeked Warbler" (or something like that)

Worked 12 years as an editor and Chief Editor, before becoming Dallas Bureau Chief for a few months at one local station.

Was offered a job "across the street" in '99 which I could not refuse, so I became a mgr at another DFW station.

In 2000 I scored the best job so far. I work for one of the big 3 (or is 4 now?) networks.

I am in "Affiliate Service". (If an affiliate wants a story that another station shot , I get it for them. I also look for interesting local stories that "have legs" and would interest folks outside the local market in which it was produced and move it for the world to use.)

In other words, I spend my days on a computer and the phone, helping my friends. And it don't get any better than that! Warm in the winter, cool in the winter, and dry all year long AND I get to help folks along the way!

The economy has sucked lately and I haven't received a raise in 3 years now, tho the deductions keep going up, but I feel lucky and blessed that, during the numerous time the axe has fallen, I have NEVER been terminated from any job I ever held.

TeeVee people at the local level are generally good folks who try hard to do the right thing. They use too many cliche's, and I often have to fix bad scripts (like replacing "gunman" with "suspect", or deleting the word "totally" when they write "totally destroyed"). I am also the "resident gun nut" and everyone in the building comes to me with gun related questions.

So, I have 34 years in "the biz", but no way to retire anytime soon. The 2 kids have seen to that! But I really do love my job. You can't beat helping friends all day long!

FWIW...YMMV...SOso

Guest Copper Mart

Retired CWO-3 US Army in '77. Work as a population control expert for the trout in eastern Washington and northern Idaho. Trying to recruit Badger Mountain Charlie, but no luck so far.

Mart...

The ice is off the lake BMC.

Howdy Pards:I have a 1400 acre ranch and raise 30 head of paint horses and a few cattle..fix fence etc. and I'm a self employed residential electrician..also a part time guitar player who was in a popular band in the early 70's............Do you remember the song"Indian Giver"???I was in the road band The 1910 Fruit gum Company.

RRR,

Maybe not as spectacular as some, not as fancy word titles as others but in addition to my main job I had a cattle farm for just short of 15 years, drove dump trucks for a family asphalt business for a few summers, but for almost 28 years I have been a teacher in a small school in southwest Missouri.

I have taught MS Science, Driver Education, and Physical Education, served as Athletic Director for a few years, and been a coach of volleyball, softball, basketball (JH and HS), and the last 17 as a baseball coach (thus the name Doubleday, who invented baseball). Oh and I also drive a school bus for the district.

The best part is that I retire in May to become a full-time dad, grandpa, and as often as the budget will allow, Cowboy shooter.

Thanks for asking. This is a very interesting thread for sure.

Kid Doubleday

I am a Community Leader Store Manager for a major drug store.

After getting fed up with my last employer I decided to start my own company doing iPhone/iPad development. Still in development stages and nothing in the market yet. Its a good think my wife is working for a living ;)

RRR, great thread

I did hair for a few years, met my first two wives and decided hairdresser was not a life to stay married doing. :rolleyes:

Took a job with the family business in High Voltage sales to Utility Companies.ie substations and such. 26 years doing that, would have retired already if not for CAS :lol: Hope to retire in a few years ifin the economy will improve.

I have an applacation in for Crash Test Dummy but may be underqualified

I'm a self employed Piano Technician, I tune and repair and recondition pianos of all kinds. I tune for schools, churches and regular folks. Been doin this fer 26 years now, I played in bands before that and owned a music store for awhile back in the late 70's/80's. So far I haven't blown my hearing out shooting BP so I'm good fer another 10 years or so. Most guys use a computer tuning machine, I still do it by ear. If my hearing goes bad I'll get a computer tuner. I make my own hours and my boss lets me go to whatever cowboy shoots I wanna go to!:)

Shade tree philosopher.

To pay the bills I'm the IT director for a manufacturer & distributor of taxidermy supplies. Oversee everything from call center automation to ERP to process control.

What a great thread. I have enjoyed reading all the interesting careers.

Dingo and I are both retired from the airline business. He was a pilot for almost 30 years and I was a flight attendant for 28 years. We were lucky to have been there during the hay-day of air travel. After 9-11 things really changed. We are both glad to be retired from the business.

We have plenty to keep us busy. For all those people that say "what are you going to do when your retire?" we have more hobbies than we can keep up with. My two favorite are Cowboy shooting and doing agility with our dog Murphy.

Life is short, so live it to the fullest. :)

Sixgun Sallie

I'm the Deputy Drain Commissioner for Monroe County.

On the side I teach Karate. I've been doing it for 22 years. The money I make from that pays for my Cowboy Habit.....

Scotsman

RRR, great thread

I did hair for a few years, met my first two wives and decided hairdresser was not a life to stay married doing. :rolleyes:

I can't read that sentence without laughing a little.

RRR

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I sell Canadian cookies.

In Texas.

Really... :)

I'm in Tennessee... and when I visit some "Canadian" websites... I get 'em for free.

Dam computer gets chocked full of 'em.

ts

I'm in Tennessee... and when I visit some "Canadian" websites... I get 'em for free.

Dam computer gets chocked full of 'em.

ts

Free cookies are.... well...... free

Ya got's to pay for hi quality.... ^_^

I got tu thinin tha other day thit I mite nede a nu awkupashun......I've red in tha GUD BOOK whar tha Lord dun sed, "vengence is mine saith tha Lord, I shall repay". soze I sez tu misef, hmmm maebee he nedes sum hep......en I kin shute long range purty gud,,,so I maid my desire nown untu tha Lord, well He did endede anser me, "Turn tha other cheek". hmmmm I sez tu mysef...thit wud make life I lil easiur...

cheyenne

I am a second generation refractory contractor.

OK, look it up.

Hot, nasty work. Dangerous, long hours, short pay.

I own a company that works in 17 (last count) states. High stress, low return. We get some real serious attention from the Mining Safety and Health Administration where a safety violation can cost up to $70,000 for the first offence. Basically, I worry for a living which is why my hairline is in full retreat.

I am looking forward to reloading for a living.

Dang It

I provide factory product support to field technicians who keep America's wheel balancers working! We also manufacture brake lathes and tire changers. It's an easy job with short hours and fantastic pay but somebody has to do it!

Mechanical Engineer working as a civilian employee for the Army at the tank arsenal (TACOM - Warren, MI) I have no complaints about federal employment after spending to many years working for that other General......Motors.

Mechanical Engineer working as a civilian employee for the Army at the tank arsenal (TACOM - Warren, MI) I have no complaints about federal employment after spending to many years working for that other General......Motors.

Hey Darby yer in Michigan AND working, that's perty darn good! Takes a Classic Cowboy to pull something that big off!

I have had a lot of different jobs. A Few years ago I went to gunsmithing school. Just bought a lathe, mill and other goodies and started working on my business plan for a gunsmithing business in Englewood Colorado.

Currently I am the shipping supervisor for a sporting goods store in Aurora Colorado.

Colorado Lightning

Been in the film & TV industry for 51 years(will be 52 in May).

Started at age 2 as a kid actor, one of the few who never robbed a 7-11 or did a stint at Betty Ford (Thank God!).

When I was 22, I switched from acting to being a makeup artist. Will start my 34th year in October. I like what I do, but the business has changed so much (and not for the better!) that I'd retire if I could. So unless I win a lottery, I will be doing this (with the help of God!) for at least another 6 years.

Monument Valley Mike

Archived