SASS Wire Forum

What you fellers do for a living?

Red River Ray SASS#33254

Horses.

One way or the other most my life.

Trained full time for years.

Worked at big breeding ranches.

Bought, sold, bred and raised our own.

Been shoeing some through all the above.

Now just shoe full time and have been since around 92.

Thank goodness I got out of raising them before the market went to

*&^%.

Shoeing has stayed very steady.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prior to retiring in 2000, I designed and implemented large scale financial application software for Fortune 100 Companies and up. Also did the same for large not-for-profit entities.

Then I got bored, so started selling pencils to the 'turf accountants' and keeping the girls working as a Pimp in Atlantic City :D

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Used to run a ranch (cattle, horses, hogs).

Then worked in town as a machinist.

Still in the military and work as a DOD technician in quality control shop for maybe 2 more years?.

When I ain't doing that, I run Wild West Arms.

Mustang Gregg

Registered Nurse. Work in Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit post open heart surgery and heart/lung transplant unit with proficiency in heart/lung assist devices. Also working in a Medical Intensive Care Unit.

I"m a Land Surveyor for State of Ca. Please don't hold that against me. I'll be starting work on the Colorado River bridge at Parker, Az. next week. For gun and bullet money I do work on Indian reservations.

As long as your around em it will, If ye good. I'm sure you are. It ain't bad work an it pays good (Dependin on tha horse).

RRR

I have been lucky. Most my customers have been with me a long time.

And have worked hard to get to the point that I don't have to do horses

that don't behave.

A few years ago I cut some of the customers that I did not care for loose.

To the point now that I just do the ones I want to do.

Normally set my prices a little above national and area average.

Never going to get rich.

But should always have food on the table.

I've worked 36 years at the same company. We process 50% of the mortgage debt and provide a multitude of mortgage services and analysis to the market. Loan value is around 4.5 trillion. I work in Capacity and Performance. I benchmark the I/O subsystem (storage, we have 100TB on the floor and we're a small shop). I benchmark our Mortgage Servicing software weekly and tune batch jobs. Our CPM team is responsible for all of the Production systems and all the work that runs on them. Not that I work in the Server area but that group has about 3500 servers in 7 data centers around the country. I work with the zServers (mainframes).

I won't retire for another 6-7 years, fortunately I love what I do.

RRR

Hey man I stand on a street corner in FT Worth and rattle my tin cup a few days a week and make a little coin to shoot on the weekend. You know Ray there is enough room for 2 of us on that corner come on down and enjoy "TEXAS"

Goatneck

28 years with the same company. When I started there as a retail clerk we had two stores and a wholesale division. Worked my way up through assistant manager, to manager, to grocery manager/meat cutter. Now, for the past 15 years I have been in our IT department, building computers, networks and hardware repairs. Along the way we have grown to 6 wholesale and 25 retail locations over north central Texas. People are gonna drink regardless of the economy!

Started at the U.S.Post Office after USMC, 1972. Clerk at Santa Ana, Ca. Huntington Beach, Ca. Became a Letter carrier

(Mailman) in Anaheim. 1979-1999. Then drove for a Limo service for 10 years. Not working now(Feb '09 March '11)

I got my VA disability rating of 100% yesterday (service connected) after 2 years wait. Yipee! Also 100% Social Security.

So now I get to start playing cowboy action shootin' again.

Big Jake 1001

RRR,

What do you mean you AIN'T COMIN' TO GEORGIA!!!!

I guess I will give away your camping spot.

Back to the subject.

Ispent 27 years in the residential low voltage wiring industry ( alarms, catv,Stereo, Home Theater etc.) Got laid off in 2008 when the building STOPPED.

Now I just do some odd custom work for a few builders and referals.

Fresh out of graduation I was planning on going into the Marine Corps, but a very bad motorcyle wreck right before I signed the final papers ended that. Went to work for a pole barn construction business as a draftsman/engineer/concept artist. Cooped in an office, couldn't take it. Worked in the shop for awhile, interest rates got too high, people quit building, layoff. Went to work for UAW543 in the fuel pump/water pump business as a set-up/repairman. Got tired of listening to people b*tch over every little thing and moved to the warehouse. Drive forklifts, put stuff up, take it back down. Just do my own thing there, not tied down in one spot. Been there 30 years...30 years :huh: , oh crap.

Have done a lot of custom car work on the side. Painting, airbrush, pinstripes, lettering. etc.

RRR

Hey man I stand on a street corner in FT Worth and rattle my tin cup a few days a week and make a little coin to shoot on the weekend. You know Ray there is enough room for 2 of us on that corner come on down and enjoy "TEXAS"

Goatneck

Ya know what Clem I think you are way smarter than that!!!!!!He He I just wonder could YOU straighten out my Heads? LOL

PS I enjoyed tha river walk in 81 (USAF) had a ball probably lef my mark.

RRR

I've been an Ocean Marine Underwriter for over 40 years. I specialize in commercial hull, marinas, ocean and air cargo. I insured all of the vessels for Disney's "Pirates" movies.......even got to go aboard the "Black Pearl" when she came out to the West Coast to finish the filming of "Pirates 3". Wrote the cargo for Fender Guitar for a spell as well as Nike. It's been a most interesting career.

RRR,

What do you mean you AIN'T COMIN' TO GEORGIA!!!!

I guess I will give away your camping spot.

Back to the subject.

Ispent 27 years in the residential low voltage wiring industry ( alarms, catv,Stereo, Home Theater etc.) Got laid off in 2008 when the building STOPPED.

Now I just do some odd custom work for a few builders and referals.

Judge I've tryed ta make it. (FREE shoot) We just(Three Cut) an I gotta be here tha first Weekend in May or he don't git in a hunting club he's been tryin ta get into fer years. Adder you got us a Power spot it just hurt ta tell ye. Thanks BUDDY lord willin next year.

RRR

Well, I have done a bunch of different things over the last 35 years. Anyway, as boring as this may sound, it is really entertaining (to me).... I am a marketing consultant type. Basically, I provide market place knowledge about the IT industry to senior executives at one of the largest "computer companies" in the world. My advice helps them bad boys decide what to do to make a LOT of money.

Firefighter/Paramedic for city of Fort Worth Texas 25 years. I will retire at the end of the year. Retired from Cook Childrens Hospital January 1. 21 years on the Teddy Bear Transport team. Transporting sick or injured children by ambulance, helicopter, or fixed wing.

Stay at home dad right now. Though I have an idea right now and if I somehow manage to see it through, I think it'll lead toward a really good income and be very rewarding.

Doc, I hope your dreams come true as fast as your cycling. You've helped many in this sport, as well as this sport.

RRR

I'm a go-getter. I take my wife to work and when she's done, I go-getter. No, really I do construction work. Brick pavers, concrete, retaining walls, etc. In the winter I like to get a remodeling job.

Electrical contractor focusing mainly in commercial/industrial. I do whatever I can though. 17 years in the trade.

Niche work/ specialties: Infrared thermography, airborne ultrasound, arc flash hazard analysis, motor controls and equipment/conveyor installs.

We are heavily involved with commercial roofers also. We have gotten into some specialized test methods acting as a third party inspector of sorts. This was all by request. Much of it I never would have even explored. We perform infrared leak detection, high voltage pinhole detection and electric field vector mapping (also known as low voltage capacitance testing) for green roof systems.

I do a bit of electrical repair on re-roofs. I also have a UL certification in lightning protection. I don't pursue the residential market for lightning protection, just commercial roofers.

Because of the commercial roofers involvement in solar energy, we are gearing up for that. Similar lightning protection, I have no current interest in the residential market for solar.

Have passport will travel.

Been a copper miner, then a Welder/Mechanic/Electrician/Cow Healer on a dairy farm.

My back retired me in 2001 from a position in Tele-Comm as a Engineer/Estimator for a structured Cabling company. I was one of the guys that gave the IT guys fits when I showed them it was their equipment that was bad, not our cables.

Now I do custom gun leather when asked for it and play with my grandson as often as possible. Guns too!

Safe trails,

CKid

I'm a Respiratory Therapist at a VA hospital. Specialize in CPAP/BiPAP treatment for Sleep Apnea.

Chili Pepper Kid

Drugs and Guns.............really...registered pharmacist with ffl. Finished pharmacy school in '68 and went to work in family drug store that my Dad had bought from his uncle around '41. Dad retired and I got a partner in '76 operating until selling in 2008 to small local chain. Pharmacy part is gone but still maintain the ffl, now addressed to my home. I still work some part time in retail and hospital pharmacy. Sidelines have been from playing drums in CW/RR bands off and on from sixties into late seventies/early eighties. Ranched for 20 plus years then sold cattle and put most of the open ranch land into pines about eight years ago. Did some writing for a number of years and still do on ocassions (hunting and gun stuff, one place was Jim Taylor's sixgunner.com with John Taffin, Paco Kelly, and others. It later sold then I got involved with SHOOT magazine). Competition has been in blood for over 30 years doing around 22 years in IHMSA then starting CAS about mid '99. Avid hunter since '68 stepping into handgun hunting in seventies progressing to pretty much revolver only 15 years ago.

bb

Been working in the operations dept. of a nuke plant for last 20 years. Will retire in Sept. 2012 (I hope,hope,hope,heh). Before that, spent close to 17 years running steering tools for directional drilling purposes. Got to travel a lot in the oilfield but ALWAYS on call. Energy related industries have been "berry berry goot to me"! :-) Baddog

Spent 30 years and 1 week working for the phone company in Minnesota.Retired from that in 98 and worked part time in a millwork shop building custom doors and jambs.Moved back to Montana in 2001 and after a couple of years, worked part time at an Ace Hardware for just short of 3 years til my Social Security kicked in.Now I just shoot,do some woodworking and try to keep up with the "honey do" list.

I was a life insurance agent for 40 years, retired Jan 1 this year. Been making knives for the last 28 years part time so now I guess that I'm a full time knife maker. I enjoy traveling and meeting people and this is what knife making does.

Tucker T

Drugs and Guns.............really...registered pharmacist with ffl. Finished pharmacy school in '68 and went to work in family drug store that my Dad had bought from his uncle around '41. Dad retired and I got a partner in '76 operating until selling in 2008 to small local chain. Pharmacy part is gone but still maintain the ffl, now addressed to my home. I still work some part time in retail and hospital pharmacy. Sidelines have been from playing drums in CW/RR bands off and on from sixties into late seventies/early eighties. Ranched for 20 plus years then sold cattle and put most of the open ranch land into pines about eight years ago. Did some writing for a number of years and still do on ocassions (hunting and gun stuff, one place was Jim Taylor's sixgunner.com with John Taffin, Paco Kelly, and others. It later sold then I got involved with SHOOT magazine). Competition has been in blood for over 30 years doing around 22 years in IHMSA then starting CAS about mid '99. Avid hunter since '68 stepping into handgun hunting in seventies progressing to pretty much revolver only 15 years ago.

bb

Lone Dude spoke highly of ye years ago about being a medicine man what also run a gun store! Never heard of sech! I met U at WR long time ago! U a good man!

RRR

Archived