SASS Wire Forum

What you fellers do for a living?

Red River Ray SASS#33254

I'm a Project Manager / Estimator for an Environmental Construction Company. Started as a Project Engineer worked my way up to Superintendent now a PM

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 32 years I put things on military aircraft, including things that could create unscheduled sunrises, so they could fly long distances and destroy other countries' things. Now I run a museum on an AF Base--something about old things and old men in one place.

Ray, I was a heavy truck mechanic for 10 years, been a tool and die maker the last 30.....

25.5 years with the Sheriffs Office, Practical Skills Unit Sergeant/Dept Rangemaster/ Medical Procedures Coordinator. In charge of Firearms training and Emergency Medical Procedures for both In-service as well as basic recruit training, other areas of responsibility include, basic patrol rifle training, tactical training for specialized units, building clearing and searching, surival shooting skills, force on force training, chemical agents, as well as supervising Defensive Tactics. Glock Armorer, Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer,and Remington 870 Armorer.

I had been a Firefighter/EMT at 18 y/o starting my near 30 year public service career. I am still a REMT as well as a LPN.

I also have just over 20 years with the US Navy and am currently a 0000 Chief Hospital Corpsman, 9502 Naval Instructor as well as a certified Tactical Combat Corpsman and Hospital Corps School Instructor.

For stress relief I do Leatherwork, Metalwork, Carpentry, Cast Bullets, Reload, I love traveling and photography.

Doc

I'm retired after 38 years as a civilian with the Navy Department, mostly facility maintenance and repair, and construction stuff. Hired in as a laborer, went on to sheetmetal mechanic, planner, contract administrator, contracting officer and project manager. When I retired I was the maintenance scheduler and supervised the purchasing and planning and estimating functions at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, which is adjacent to Ridgecrest, California, where the Robbers Roost Vigilantes live.

Registered Respiratory Therapist for 35 years. Worked in Philadelphia hospitals most of the time in department management. Taught in several colleges and universities for 10 years. Spent the last 10 years prior to retirement doing respiratory home care seeing patients up and down the Jersey shore.

Have been retired for the past five years now. Get to the gym four to five days a week when I'm not shooting. ;-)

--Ranger Dave

Howdy the camp....

I've worked in banking, was an executive secretary to the headmaster in a small Christian school in Plumsteadville, PA, then got into retail with a large national chain - did all sorts of jobs... the last being in charge of a store's hazardous waste program.

Now I work with my hubby, Gunstock Smith. He started out being a cabinet maker, had various other jobs, then later on got hired by Boeing up in Washington for 15 years. He ended up being the Process Improvement Manager of the 747 Final Assembly Program. He retired from that and moved back to Texas where he started working for himself. He came up with his own design for a recoil reduction device that can be put on big safari rifles, o/u shotguns (for the Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays crowd) and even cowboy guns!! :D Hence his name.... Gunstock Smith!

He does combs, pad adjusters, LOP buttplates and recoil systems for all types of guns at our shop at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio. With spring break coming up, we're booked up with 4H kids coming in for the next two weeks. But our great news is that Remington has put one type of the recoil system on their new 1100 Competition Shotgun for 2011.... We keep busy, but take off some weekends to shoot with our pards in SASS. One day it'd be nice to really retire and travel around to shoot and meet more of you.

Miss Cubbie

:FlagAm:

RRR I worked about 38yrs as a frieght Conductor for the Railroad. I tried to stop on the croossing ya-all were trying to get arcoss and told everyone we were having air trouble. Ya know everybody loves the Railroad!!! Kinda like a well paid Hobo!! NBC

I'm in the Federal Witness Protection Program. Someone can make a lot of money if they were to tell a certain person where I am at. Of course, you'll never live to spend it as the certain person doesn't leave any witnesses.

School...ha ha and mowing grass in the summers for my grandfather!!

jersey,

Guest talon macleod 29883

:FlagAm: 32 years with J.C. Penney Co. as Manager,Mechanic and Quality Control tech. Eight years as Plant ops Manager and regional Plant Ops. Director in Healthcare.Part-time for 25 years American Canoe Assn. Whitewater instructor in canoes and Kayaks. B.S. in Business Admin. Associate in Low Voltage,Welder. About to retire and start a business within a few months.

Talon Macleod

I've been an Illinois State Trooper for 12 years now. I patrol in Central Illinois. My duties include district range master, firearms instruction, Glock and AR-15 armorer and I patrol regularly. Before the ISP I was in human resources management for 10 years.

Well, for the past 20 years I have been a collision investigator/ reconstructionist for a local police department.

Ya see, I meet people by accident all day :lol:

Prior to that I was in Real Estate, had my own 'puter business doing small networks, designed and implemented loss prevention and asset protection programs for several major retail chains, did corporate investigations, and spent some time in the U.S. Army at the end of Vietnam....

I do some photography (have one book published) and some writing of short stories about the Old West in the little free time I have...

Will become a man of leisure in 5 years :wacko:

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

I work for the gub'mint so I do as little as possible.

I'm a rock 'n' roll singer and I make hats on the side. :lol:

Er.. I'm a hat maker and a rock 'n' roll singer on the side!! :rolleyes:

I'm a retired race car mechanic and fabricator/welder, AND I usta work on tour/entertainer buses.

I was a GM parts consultant from 1975 to Feb 6, 2009. I musta made too much cause the butt hole replaced me with 2 20 year olds. Of course, in Virginia there is not right to sue over this. He did not say that. Now I am a parts and service advisor at an independant shop. He did me a favor but after working for one company for 21 years, it hurt big time. They are replacing or forcing out all of the old employees and putting in the 20 year olds. Now I don't have to work but 40 hours a week, no nights or weekends. Great new job.

Shenny

I've been in the newspaper business for 40-plus years. Started shooting sports photos for my hometown newspaper when I was a junior in high school. Began adding news photos to my clips a few months later when the Sylmar Quake hit nearby.

Been lucky enough to be a writer, reporter, columnist, sports editor, copy editor, wire editor, news editor, graphic designer and Web editor and I've worked for publications in California and Arizona. Now I'm employed as the research director for a weekly business newspaper in Phoenix.

Given the length of time it takes me to get through a stage, I've come to the conclusion that gunslinger would not have been a good career choice had I been around 120-130 years ago.

Regards,

M.T.

I just got ta wonderin what folks do or have done ta make a living? Some I know, but alot I have no idea. Creeker and I have agreed some here lately on several post and lookin at his picture he kinda looks like a brick mason er a plumber He He He ( Hell he's probably a doctor) Just wonderin???

I'm a carpenter, I do some new const. but mostly remodeling and additions, right now whatever pays tha dam gas bill. What you fellers an ladies do so you can buy guns and bullets?

RRR

A lot of stuff, but while I am my dad's favorite son I was never called a feller before.. lol

Worked as a respiratory therapist and could not stand to watch the dying

Moved over to Staffing and H/R in Hospitals and started doing taxes part time

Moved over to my business minor, Accounting, and became an auditor for the jewelry industry

And trained horse part time for 15 years for money

A good friend talked me into being a mortgage loan processor and suddenly I found the bank I work for.

Worked as a Trust Officer in Private Client for 3 years

And needed to move back to CA, so I went back to my roots back to processing loans for the same bank…

Gosh, I feel tired now.. lol

Electronics Technician for the U.S. Postal Service. In other words I try to keep running the machines that bend,fold,spindle and mutilate your mail before you get it. Been with them in various capacities for 25+ years.

Dustin Checotah

custom post frame construction. 20 years of climbing like a monkey and driving big nails, if it looks to big or complicated to build post frame I'm the guy my company sends. And after 20 years still love to work outside and climb like a kid on the monkey bars.

Black Tom

Designer Garbage (aka medical waste)

I am a consulting broker in this industry

~:Wylie:~

Wife and Mother for 36 years....married at 15, became a Mom 13 months later....worked when needed or wanted...

Many different and interesting jobs, nothing fancy. Managed a pizza place to put hubby through Police Academy. Dispatched for Lake Worth and Azle PD...worked at grocery stores, gas stations and Walmart. Worked for a Candy Company, made boxes for frozen foods and worked in two machine shops, operating lathes and drill presses. Kept other people's kids for money, wrote some magazine articles, sold Avon, kept the books for hubby's horse shoeing business, and too many more to think of....

The job that I had with hubby when he passed away was taking World War II or I guns and making them legal for sale in the U.S.A. as semi-automatics. We converted what most people know as the M53 (Hitler's Zipper) and the PPSH41 (which required making the shroud and barrel legal length also). Others were converted but, these two were actually put into production.

Now, I work to keep Justin Parker (our Grandson whom we have raised since he was 10 months old) shooting (well, I kinda like shooting too LOL), as an Utility Billing Clerk/Supervisor AND Post Office Unit Clerk for the City of Willow Park, Texas.

I started out my working career as a ranch hand on the family ranch then began helping out by working for neighbors for a wage. I turned wrenches on heavy equipment, farm machinery, and graduated to heavy over the road diesel trucks for 12 years. For the last 23+, I have been a prison guard (they call them Correctional Officers out here), promoted to Sergeant 15 years ago. I am almost done with my 30 to life sentence.

These are by far my favorite threads. I really enjoy seeing what the breadth and depth of experience and knowledge is here on the wire and in our sport. I have been a plumbing contractor for 20 years, I just recently veered down a new career path as a data center facilities engineer. For the first time in 20 years of formal work I have a job that is steady 40 + hours a week with full benefits, paid vacations and sick time. It is taking some getting used to but I am starting to like it!!

Hey there Red, have you seen a lot of data center retrofitting or new build fromwhere you work? I ask because its an area where we have seen sustabntial new activity, and we are also expecting a lot of opportunity for a lot of folks.

Hey there Red, have you seen a lot of data center retrofitting or new build fromwhere you work? I ask because its an area where we have seen sustabntial new activity, and we are also expecting a lot of opportunity for a lot of folks.

Yes I have. We are currently growing and two "competitors" just announced new buildings in our area. The growth is there, not as rapid as was first predicted, due to economic concerns, but still growing.

Archived