SASS Wire Forum

What you fellers do for a living?

Red River Ray SASS#33254

Guest jeweler jim

Don't have time this morning to read all four pages, but will when I get home tonight.

Thought I'd throw this up here anyway as I'm fixing to go into "work."

After I found that I was being unsuccessful in retirement for about seven or eight years a jeweler friend of mine and I started a precious metal buying business. Been at it now for about eighteen months and still see no slowdown in sight. If'n you think you got it bad you should see things from my side of the jeweler's case. It's rather scary some days as it's kind of a cross between "Pawn Stars" and "Hard core Pawn" cepting we don't buy anything but precious metals, stones and jewelry. Also don't do any pawn, loans or resale. Melt everything out within seven to ten days or sooner if the "bank" starts to get low. Some of the coinage or the occasional rare piece will be held for sale back to the trade and we recently started to hold the silver coinage that comes in for our own personal stash.

Criminal what some of the gold buying operations were and are doing so that's what caused us to start (against all crime that we're not included in on). Found we could double or triple the pay out and still make money. So there you have it. Done way too many things as considered "work" over the years, but currently this serves us well and will continue as we don't see things improving :angry: for the "unwashed masses" that we give the cash to on a daily basis.

It does pay for my lead and powder, but now I don't have the time to shoot as much!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under achieving million/billionaire full time.

I have a MSW. I contract with a local court to provide a specialized family therapy model to families of teens who are first offenders and low risk. Generally, instead of telling parents what to do. I teach them how to do it, such as having behavior rules, enforcing rules, giving rewards/consequences, keeping track of their kids, and increasing positive interaction between parent(s)/teen.

Now that's a hard gig! I work with school social workers and court services for our students all the time. Makes me tired just thinking about it... :wacko:

J.J.

RRR, grate idea for a thread, I've enjoyt et treemendouslee....

Ded I minshun I teech spewlun part taim....;+{)

Cheyenne :lol:

My wife & I own a business that builds automation equipment.

We do work in primary metals, power generation, drives, and material handling. ship products all over the world.

On the material handling side we build the equipment that runs the container cranes that unload cargo ships.

Last year we built the controls for the quality power upgrade at the FBI facility in WVa.

Hardest part of the business is working with my wife. <ha>

Wish I had time to shoot more often.

Dutch[/font]

I'm a retired rocket scientist; missile guidance systems software. For the last 4 years, I have done part time consulting with aerospace firms on engineering process evaluation and improvement; helped raise grandkids and played around the "ranch".

The wife(Lefty Lin) is not retired yet. I've always heard ehat marrying a younger woman was a great retirement plan, but I'm ready for her to hang it up and come out and play.

After graduating from Penn State and putting in some military time I became a very young Juvenile Probation Officer. Nine years later a local chief of police made me an offer that I couldn’t refuse and I jumped into being a police officer. I served in that position for over 28 years, mostly as an investigator specializing in crimes against children and sexual assault. I served on a federal crimes against children task force for 10 years and was appointed a Deputy U.S. Marshall investigating child sexual assault and exploitation of children. Completely burned out I retired two years ago.

I got my Real Estate License 8 years ago in order to help out my wife so now I work as her assistant doing the computer work and running around doing all the mundane non profitable but necessary stuff with as little stress and aggravation as possible.

I am a Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)...but when not at work, I try to do as little as possible as well. I have sold band instruments, been a custom CAS gunsmith, and been an ICU Nurse in leading up to my current and final profession...although I still do some CAS gun work just to keep my skills alive! ;)

Sparky

What I wanna know is what Manatee an Phantom do or did for a living? I love en both but I gotta hear this!

RRR :D

Started out as a pipe fitter (fire protection). When I got outta the service and finished my degree, was a CPA with Price Waterhouse. Finished as CFO of a Fortune 500 company. When I couldn't stand the lying, manipulation and CEO greed any more, I quit. Been semi-retired for 15 years. Pretty much do as I please....as long as the 'do' part ain't too expensive.

Been buildin' cowboy guns for 7 or 8 years. Business has been crappy since August.

worked 10yrs farming rice and raising cattle,then 16yrs at rodeoing bareback,saddle broncs and calf roping,never did grow up,just slowed down a little, now work the last 5 yrs for The University of Texas Police Dept in Houston

cobra kid

I remember Ray, believe your bunch left your trailor at our RV spot storing your carts, guns, ammo, etc. Heck, I believe Dude was even in the bunch as was Cody, your wifes, and a few more I can not remember. Good times.

howdy,

Been Army Special Forces for the past 25 years. About to retire in three years. Gonna need something to do that has little to no stress and I don't have to answer my cell for work related crap. Thinking about working as the "town drunk" at the working ranch where our club shoots. I think it would add atmosphere for the city slickers who come and stay there. They can give me my real bullets whenever there's a match.

I know my wife will not want me to hang out at the house all day.

Whiskey James

Currently Mixed Caliber Elder Wrangler Gunfighter :FlagAm:

Worked 13 yrs as a law dawg then became a Baptist pastor. While doing that I also worked part time in a gun shop. Then on 3-9-01 Aimless Jane who was the head nurse over ICU/CCU @ one of the local hospitals suffered a brain aneurism that left her a paraplegic. I had to quit & become her full time caregiver. She has greatly improved but will never be 100%.

But I now work pt as an assistant funeral director. And I still preach, mainly funerals for families who do not have a pastor and for pastors who are ill or on vacation. Will never stop preaching until I'm no longer able to do it or the Lord takes me home.:rolleyes:

Been with the auto industry since 1966.. right after High School graduation..

Started as a technician (back then we were called mechanics)

Started in sales in 1971 when even an FM radio was an option..

Still in auto sales.. hopefully retire in a couple three years..

Great thread Three RRR's

Rance <_<

Weekend Cowboy and lovin' every minute of it.

I spent some time in the Army as an M1A1 armor crewman/tanker (19Kilo), then went green to gold and after graduation was branched Infantry. (I was never accused of being smart, but I had to go to college to become a grunt.)

After having kids, I decided the Army life wasn't the life for me, so I work in logistics for a little company from northwest Arkansas.

In what I realize now was the life of a very young man I started at Dean Witter & CO as a stockbroker right out of college. Life took on an amazing fortune as I discovered that my background as a salesman since I was 5 doing door to door lawn watering jobs in So Cal to western pony pictures and Kirby vacuum cleaners had prepared me perfectly for selling securities on the telephone right at the beginning of the art of cold- calling on a speed dialer/ touchtone phone.

By the time I was 27 I was a Sr. VP of the largest and oldest investment bank in the world, Lehman Bros Kuhn Loeb. At Lehman in the late '70's and early '80's we used to joke that it was the perfect life because one didn't have to choose between being a pirate and a whore. Life was incredible- and I became a partner at BeckerParibas at the age of 29. I had been lured by a check for $150k and a guarantee of $37500 per month....unless I earned more..and I did.

When I told my firm that I was leaving to start King of the Mountain, Inc. They gasped, "why would you leave a license to steal to start a podunk clothing company out in the wilderness?" (Jackson Hole, WY)

Why? Because my conscience couldn't take it anymore. So I took my nest egg... which at the time was a pretty decent stash... and left city/urban/commuting life for the Rockies. If I knew then what I know now, I may not have been so blindly determined. But that was 30 years ago this year and I'm still at it.

There are a couple of ex-wives out there that will tell you that it hasn't been worth it. That if I had stayed I may be as rich as Warren Buffet by now. But then Warren Buffet has never killed a Dall's sheep with a recurve bow; hunted from AK to FL to EU to MEX. Shot clays with Tom Selleck, Arnold Schwartzenegger and the host of wonderful characters that make up SASS. Or outfit those who dedicate their lives to the Special Teams who do things that no one will ever hear about.

My reflection is that what I make has saved literally 100's of lives; enabled 10's of thousands of people to enjoy the outdoors-safely- all over the world. Our customers have successfully taken everything 2-legged and 4-legged on every continent, every weather condition, every terrain and every season; mild to dangerous- Afghanistan to Alaska.

In 2008 I filed a patent on a way to weave woolens with Carbon and Kevlar. It's been a life's work. I spent every penny I had; borrowed 100's of thousands more knowing that I could sell my farm and still have plenty of cash to launch my new 30 year old start-up with it. My network had devolved into a part-time fraternity of good ol' boys...I fired them all (except 1) 200 of them one week after taking a 6 day Tony Robbins seminar.

You know what they say about ASS U ME umptions. The farm didn't sell. In fact, it's this week that I've finally worked a deal out. My boys (3) are all grown/ gone/ graduated college with careers. So now I'm back out on the road, selling like I used to at shows, shoots, phone and internet; rebuilding our distribution without (hopefully) the mistakes I made in the 1st 30 years.

Workin' my ass off and glad to have the work. "I'm one step ahead of the shoe shine; two steps away from the county line. Just trying to keep my customer satisfied".... and I'm satisfied.

For the past 38 years I've been pretty close to being a Hobo, I ride freight trains as a Railroad Freight Conductor. When times have been slow, I've worked for a housing contractor, and also for an undergorund excavator operating anything that don't have a motor such as a pick or shovel or rake and such.

Got a cattle farm and still on the trains. I may be worn out put I ain't old enough to retire.

Held a variety of jobs

Mechanic working on race cars, primarily sports cars but also for a very underfinanced Indy car team.

Reporter(stringer)for National Speed Sport News.

Tech writer for Motor Magazine.

1/3 owner of auto dealership specializing in exotics and antiques.

Finally settled with the CIA. Spent 27+ years as a paramilitary officer dealing with counter-terrorism, counter-insurgency, and counter-narcotics, among other things.

After retirement did a few odd jobs:

Worked with local police departments as a gang and narcotics analyst.

Taught interrogation for the Intelligence Center at Ft. Huachuca.

Wrote an interrogation training program for the USMC in Virginia.

At present just relaxing and enjoying life.

Now, if y'all wouldn't mind listing yore real names and SSNs......... :lol::blink::lol:

Been in aerospace industry since I was a child ;)

20+ years at large airframer on West Coast - commercial , now at aircraft engine plant on East Coast with primary focus on military. What used to be simply "production control" is now "Global Supply Chain Management" which means all time zones from India to SoCal. I deal with a lot of aftermarket supply issues as well as keeping current production, well -- current.

My mission is to make sure our War Fighters have dependable engines and the spare parts to keep them that way.

Teacher in both college & high school.

Set to retire in June.

Hopefully get out before the state screws me out of my retirement.

--Dawg

I'm a full-time hand engraver, engrave guns, jewelry,etc for the last 10 years. Taught myself while working as a jewelry store manager. Engraved part-time on the side until part-time became 40-45 hours/week. Best move I could have made as I have met a lot of good friends through the gun engraving.

Linecutter

I compile and analyze voluminous data of problematical accuracy from sources of dubious veracity and derive therefrom a numerical quantification of unquestionable necessity, analogous to a nebulous and euphemistic concept representational of value commensurate with ambient configurations of the open market and promulgate thereby a precise written declamation which delineates my observation, deliberation and conclusion all done while feigning absolute ignorance of the avaricious machinations of Buyers, Sellers, Brokers and Lenders, compensated by the penurious stipend known as a professional fee.

In other words, though my official title is Land Acquisition Agent, I am a real estate appraiser for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Grandpa always said "Find something you're good at and you enjoy doing and get someone to pay you to do it"

I'd have it made if I could find someone to pay me to drink whiskey and make love to super models :P

well DB one outa two is 50% :P:lol: which one~~guess

me:

1] Swim teacher 50 yrs

2] Retail clerk 3 yrs

3] Manicurist 25 yrs

4] Letter carrier USPS 6 yrs

5] Pastry chef 40 yrs

6] Special Ed teacher 12 yrs

7] Currently taking Real estate exams

I just got ta wonderin what folks do or have done ta make a living? Some I know, but alot I have no idea. Creeker and I have agreed some here lately on several post and lookin at his picture he kinda looks like a brick mason er a plumber He He He ( Hell he's probably a doctor) Just wonderin???

I'm a carpenter, I do some new const. but mostly remodeling and additions, right now whatever pays tha dam gas bill. What you fellers an ladies do so you can buy guns and bullets?

RRR

Thirty years (so far, five more to go) working for a major Aircraft manufacturer here in the pacific north west.

First twenty as a software designer for the B-1 weapon delivery system, targetting and warhead control for the

SRAM missile, mission software for the F-22, and several other smaller projects. The last ten I've managed other

software designers, developing UAV's for SEAD missions (Wild Weasel replacement) and updating existing surveillance

platforms.

I sometimes miss the days when our motto was "Flash, and you're ash!", but I'm also glad that mission is over.

We provide the things the war fighter needs, and like others here on the wire, I'm also proud to help.

Shadow Catcher

Been mechanican on something most of my life.Spent 14 yrs turning wrenches on boats.The past 18 yrs been working for a construction rental co.Raised both of my kids.Still take care of my son as he is handicapped(with help from my daughter-MAMA TAZ-) Largo :):)

Howdy,

Well I'm retired Army Helicopter pilot, still using the Trade in the EMS community in Colorado Springs, Raise a few Australian Cattle dogs on the side.

KK

Started in the Electrical trade(IBEW) in1960, Retired in 1972 and moved to Arkansas to make my fortune with a sporting goods store....then a Fishing lure manufacturing business...Managed a Honky Tonk on the Ar/Mo State line. When reality set in I moved back to IL and went back to jerkin wires. Made Foreman, General Foreman and finally in 1988 was asked to be an Instructor at the IBEW Apprentice training facility where I Retired from in 2002. .......That's the short version LOL...........Bandit

Heee Haaa .. Industrial Electrion sence 1972 For the past 21 years been Imployied by Howmet Alcoa.. Makeing jet engine parts..For Air Bus .. G.E. etc .. :blush:

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Being born to a pair of '60s flower children left its mark and I bounced around a lot. My first real job was as a stunt double for Tom Sellecks close ups but that did not last for long as they claimed the starlets couldnt git nuthin done with me around the set! From there I done a short stint as a gym instructor but got tired of being sexually harassed all the time by them aerobics ladies. Before coming east, due to my early desire to play cowboy I even tried my hand at breeding cattle but the judge claimed it was immoral so I gave it up after gitting out and since I was required to stay away from farm animals anyway, I left cattle country. Of all the jobs I ever had my favorite was to park trains on road crossings while dranking liquor, rolling dice and laughing at the car horns blowing. Now that I am nearing my mid forties I like to watch some of you old red nex southern boys shoot pistols and spit tobacky! I have been recently gitting a urge to try my hand in the pig business, you got any investment money there Ray?

RV Draftsman until gasoline hit a $1 a gallon and the RV industry collapse.

18 years with a small town with the population of 809. 10 years as Town Marshal.

19 years with an independent telephone company. Presently the "Plant Manager".

13 more years and I'll be flipping burgers for pocket money, cowboy reenactments in AZ.

Edited to include my weekend job.

I liberated gold from Yankee train shipments.... :)

Archived