SASS Wire Forum

Son in law headed to Japan to do Seach & Rescue

rippin kid

My new son in law is headed to Japan 3:00 EST with the Fairfax VA Urban Rescue Team. They all got activated this afternoon and my daughter called and said Brian would be leaving from the Dulles Airport 3:00. They travel on one of those huge Air Force transport planes and bring everything they'll need with them. The last time they were called out of country was for Haiti's earthquake. Brain is a Fireman in Fairfax and runs the crane for the Rescue Team. God Bless them and keep them safe.

Godspeed and safety to him and the SAR crews.

Update from my daughter,

Hello All,

I thought this would be easier then calling each one of you to update you on Brian's situation. I just got off the teleconference with Joe Knerr from Japan about 8 AM their time. They landed in northern Japan at their Air base.They are 200 miles north of the nuclear reactor which we are all worried about. The team is also with the LA team as well as United Kingdom and Australia. They were given hot meals, allowed to take a shower and slept till about 3AM their time.

They will be leaving soon for Ofunaeo a coastal town about 120 miles south of where the air base is. They expect it to take about 6 hours depending on the roads conditions which are unknown at this time. Because of this they are sending a crew with equipment via helicopter to make sure they have a crew on the ground to help. The town has lost all communication with anyone so it is unaware of the towns condition. The water has receded and they don't expect to have to use the boats they brought with them.

I know I was worried about the radiation but my uncle (US Department of Energy)and grandpa (Nuclear Engineer) have assured me that its not as bad as the media is making it out to be. The chief on the phone did express that they are aware of the dangers so they will have monitoring equipment with them that is just for radiation.

These calls will happen every night at 7 so I will send emails after each one to keep you informed.

Rippin relay thoughts and prayers for his humanitarian service.

Ref the radiation from what I've heard and seen the two forms or radiation they are dealing with now are tritium and hydrogen. From what I understand the former has a half life of days and the latter seconds so neither is supposed to be a great hazard. The one they havent had trouble with yet, cesium, is what everyone is afraid of.

One can only wonder how the people of that nation will rebuild but you can bet it will be a stronger and even more modern country.

To any and all of the men and women who serve by defending and protecting others, stay safe and God speed.

Rippin relay thoughts and prayers for his humanitarian service.

Ref the radiation from what I've heard and seen the two forms or radiation they are dealing with now are tritium and hydrogen. From what I understand the former has a half life of days and the latter seconds so neither is supposed to be a great hazard. The one they havent had trouble with yet, cesium, is what everyone is afraid of.

One can only wonder how the people of that nation will rebuild but you can bet it will be a stronger and even more modern country.

To any and all of the men and women who serve by defending and protecting others, stay safe and God speed.

Yup - Been to Japan a couple times: The Japanese people are incredibly resilent and focused - they will repair Japan even better!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I'm glad to hear that they are on the ground and getting prepared.

Stay safe.

Update 3/14

The team arrived at 6pm Japanese time to a town 10 mile outside of their final designation. They weren't allowed to start working due to the unknown situation of the town. They set up camp at a local elementary school, they have power but no heat. ( Thank goodness Brian likes to sleep in the cold) This is on high ground. While they set up shop the chiefs met with the local fire department who assigned the team to a 1 square mile of land that is just a pile of ruble. The tsunami swept the whole town into this large pile. Most homes are of wood frame construction so it should be easy to cut through. The team has been accompanied by USAID and Department of Energy officials who are using their background to keep the guys safe.

Since it is a 13 hour time difference they guys were on the ground and finally able to get out and start doing what they are good at. They have not been able to set up email capability so the hope that we will be able to send emails to the guys is slim. That is all for tonight.

rippin kid:

Do you know if they have any amateur radio operations coming out/going in the area your son-in-law is working out of? Just a thought from an operator here, but if you know a local ham where you live who can monitor communications traffic in/out of the area, you may be able to keep up with even more details on a more frequent basis. Just an idea and a bit of a long shot.

More than anything, a big thanks to your son-in-law and all those involved around the world in helping the Japanese people. All in my prayers today!

J.J.

I have had the nightly teleconfrence with the team and here are the updates...

As of now there have been no survivors found, just deceased

The climate is 23 degrees and snow, they still don't have heat so it must be cold and not being able to warm up during the evening must be hard

They completed their assignment before dark and headed back to the BOO (Base of Operations)

1/2 of their cache has been sent back to the airforce base which could mean the guys will come home sooner than 2 weeks!

If they are reasigned they will not go any farther south then they are right now

There has been no increase in radiation levels

That is all for tonight.

Archived