SASS Wire Forum

The Unforgiven.......

Rum River #36276

Saw the other thread on Lemay's book "The Searchers", I have Lemay's book "The Unforgiven" which is a very good read. (For those unfamilar, the story line is not similar to Clint Eastwood's movie "Unforgiven" in any way.)

I think Lemay did a good job describing the firearms of the period, along with many other things that give the reader a better sense of what life was like in remote Texas just after the Civil War.

Anyone else out there read "The Unforgiven"?

John Wayne would not have been LeMay's choice for the character. Ed Asner fit the description much better. Or Broderick Crawford. Book gives you more of Ethan's dark hard side and explains why he was so obcessed with revenge. Wasn't to get the child back bbut, if I let you know it will spoil the book.

Interesting that Tommy Lee Jones THE MISSING is considered a new version of the SEARCHERS. After erading that I saw the comparisons.

I have both of those Alan LeMay books , both are good reads. The Unforgiven novel goes into the family's history in a lot more detail than the movie.

Rex , who likes good Western novels. :D

PS. Just read Yul's post , the novel The Last Ride by Thomas Eidson , which was the basis for The Missing , is a better story than the movie , in my opinion. Good many differences between the two mediums.

Rex :D

• 2 weeks later...

A book will always be better as you have visions of how each character should look and act. The casting director will have his own vision also. Most all good books would require hours of screen time and it has to be cut to fit the time slot allowed. You lose a lot of material when changing how a story is told. Sometimes the best part of a book is on the cutting room floor.

Archived