SASS Wire Forum

Primers for 38-55

O.K. I have a headache from searching the web and books for this info....

Can I use large pistol primers instead of large rifle primers to relaod 38-55 rounds?

Can't find any data that will help so I figured I would ask here, I am sure somebody can answer this... or maybe done it.

Will use either Clays for smokeless or APP for BP sub...

so what say y'all

JJJ-D

O.K. I have a headache from searching the web and books for this info....

Can I use large pistol primers instead of large rifle primers to relaod 38-55 rounds?

Can't find any data that will help so I figured I would ask here, I am sure somebody can answer this... or maybe done it.

so what say y'all

JJJ-D

so what say y'all

JJJ-D

Why Clays? That's not a powder that's recommended for use in the .38-55. Typically, IMR 3031 or 4198 and AA 5744 are the best smokeless powders to use.

JJJ-D, I shoot a 38-55 myself. It was set up by Old Scout. I have had great results with H4198 powder even though that pencil lead looking stuff is hard to measure, I always measure short and trickle powder to the weight of charge I settled on. Accuracy very good, even in my hands on out to 250 yards. I would definately go with the rifle primers and I happen to use Winchesters, but they all are pretty good. BTW my bullets are 249gr made by an outfit no longer in business, Mid Kansas. I have a bunch of similar weight bullets by Arizona Bullet and sized to .379 and I would be glad to give you some if you can use them. :)

The pistol primers will seat deep into the pockets. If you have a weak firing pin strike you may have misfires. If you run anything like normal rifle pressure (twice the pressures in pistols), pistol primers can rupture and cause gas cutting damage to the firing pin and falling block or bolt area. You may not get good thorough ignition with pistol primers. Loading manuals recommend strongly against it.

Weighed against that, you will have a couple of non-professional-ballisticians come on here and say they been doing it for a while and it is fine.

Hmm, maybe you can make the best choice.

Good luck, GJ

Why would you want to ???

Besides being of softer cup and undersize ,,,,,, Up here standard Pistol and Standard Rifle cost the same ...

UnReliable ignition could also be present ....

So again Why ???

Jabez Cowboy

38-55 is a RIFLE cartridge.

Therefore, Proper primer to use is a large RIFLE primer, your choice of brand.

To do otherwise is contrary to good reloading practices.

I use rifle primers in mine. Started out with CCI-Br-2's. Am planning on switching to Fed.Match when I run out.

I'm using a 265g pill from Montana Precision Swaging because of the large bore size of my veteran 1893. Powder is XMP-5744, combination is just scarey accurate in a rifle this old(1899).....Buck :blush:

Boy did I learn a lot in a short time....

I was considering the selections because that is what I have...

Looks like I'll be getting rifle primers and a different smokeless powder.

I will check more on the APP as well.

I intend to slug the barrel of both 38-55's before buying bullets, guess I better go get the stuff for that!

Thanx for all the info, I think I'm gonna hafta get two different size bullets tho, I have an H&R single shot and a Marlin made in 1906.

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Archived