SASS Wire Forum

Ear Protection

Jgbeerman

Another question for the forum this evening as I am getting cabin fever to head over to the range for the first time in a while.

I have the big ear muff style protection for when I am shooting at the range, however for cowboy action the hat prevents me from using this type. Any suggestions on a really effective pair? I am 25 years old and my old man has bad hearing so I want to do my best to prolong the inevitable.

As always, any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leight's foam plugs are possibly the best hearing protection short of wearing plugs and muffs. They have a 31 decibel reduction rating which is better than any muff on the market. My ENT (ear, nose and throat Dr.) told me they were better than molded earplugs.

Good call Jackson Rose. Plus an endorsement from an ENT is the way to go. Was able to get a ten pair pack through a buddy.

Thanks for the input as well Subdeacon Joe! Took a look at some of those behind the head models but decided to go with the KISS theory. Keep it simple stupid haha all those years of my Ma telling that to me finally worked out for me!

While I would love to one day buy me some of the ear plugs that let you hear and then block out loud noise when it reaches a certain level.......I have not yet.

Muffs make my head hurt so I use what I have always used......the little orange rubber plugs that the Army gives you. I attach one of the little cases with the plugs in each bag that I may take to the range and also have a couple sets hanging on my truck mirror that way I am always with plugs cause I never know when I may find myself wanting to shoot.

This is exactly what I have and what I attach to all of my bags and mirror in my truck.

http://www.omahas.com/popup_image.php?p ... nur27mcri0

I find they work really well.

Good call Jackson Rose. Plus an endorsement from an ENT is the way to go. Was able to get a ten pair pack through a buddy.

Thanks for the input as well Subdeacon Joe! Took a look at some of those behind the head models but decided to go with the KISS theory. Keep it simple stupid haha all those years of my Ma telling that to me finally worked out for me!

I like the foam plugs because the do do a very good job, and I can keep a bunch of them in my waistcoat pockets all the time. But I have found that if I'm doing a lot of shooting, or am around a lot of shooting, the muffs seem to help more. They kind of protect the whole outer ear and the bones right around it from the concussion waves. Nothing wrong with doubling up.

The foam plugs are indeed the highest protection of standard protection devices. And they fit any ear shape.

Custom made plugs are REALLY convenient, but some ear channels are shaped so the plugs loosen quickly and you don't get much protection at all then. Even when they fit and stay tight, they have a lower rating than the foam.

And ear muffs are good (between the two types of plugs, normally), but the head band is a pain for cowboy shooters, even behind the head style.

For practicing, best protection is plugs and muffs. For match, well, I use foam plugs.

Good luck, GJ

It's important to know that while the foam has the best rating, that rating depends on them being properly inserted FULLY into the ear canal. Then when they swell up the NR is as advertised. However, from what I've personally witnessed only about 2 in 10 get them into the ear properly.

It's tough to beat properly fitted custom plugs for convenience, comfort AND proper placement. If they're hard to use or difficult to maintain for a long period too often people will blow it off at just the wrong time.

Spend the $50 and use them for everything from shooting to running the lawn mower. Hearing loss can't be repaired.

I used the foam plugs for four years and noticed a hearing loss. I then bought expensive professional plugs w/ the little drum in them so you can talk and also keep out the "bang". I then filled in the little sound channel in the pro plugs and am finally satisfied. My ear canals are smaller and so the foamies did not work as well even though I shoved them in. B/f you loose some hearing I'd suggest some solid molded plugs - w/o any little metal thingy in them.

Being partially deaf sucks.

Being partially deaf sucks.

What?

Yeah, it does. I have hearing loss and tinnitus from shooting when I was growing up. We didnt need no stinking ear plugs! Actually, at that time, no one really thought about it. Now I wish we had. Shooting, pounding on metal, power tools. and now I do a lot of cupping a hand behind my ear to hear better.

I know what is being talked about. Several years ago I went to an indoor range to shoot a .22 revolver. Like a fool I forgot my ear plugs and like a bigger fool I shot anyway. I now have to wear hearing aids in both of my ears and it is not fun. Whatever you do, take care of your hearing!!

I just use the rubber/plastic cones with the string between them. I like them because for CAS I can just put them 1/2 way in so they muffle the bang but I can still talk to people. At the rifle range, I can shove them all the way in when shooting the loud stuff.

Brother King makes a real good point, foam plugs ONLY work to full rating when inserted correctly. That normally means roling them into a much smaller cylinder, reaching over your head with the opposite side hand, pulling up on your ear, inserting the plus and HOLDING it there while it expands to fit the ear canal. I shot with them for years but switched over to custom molded versions, the first set was done by a hearing aid guy. The last two sets have been done at state or above shoots where the vendors were on hand. One set is always in my guncart, the other is usually in my car or shooting bag. They are all-day comfortable and very effective so much so I use them for working with power tools, the snowblower etc. They also work great on the motorcycle as highway speed wind noise can give me a headache in 30 minutes. I keep foam plugs on hand as a just in case but have only worn them in the past couple of years in noisy conditions when trying to sleep

If you get the custom molded plugs I suggest not getting the dummy cord, had that on the first set and it drove me nuts transmitting every jiggle or scrape of the cord right into my ears. The second set did not have it, cut the cord off the other set as well. As someone will point out your ears keep growing as you age so at some point if you shoot long enough and dont loose them you will have to replace them. Deal with it. With any luck the vendor who made the second set will be at the MA/CT/RI states this year as I plan to splurge and get a set with the earbuds molded in for use with the droid or mp3 player.

Leight's foam plugs are possibly the best hearing protection short of wearing plugs and muffs. They have a 31 decibel reduction rating which is better than any muff on the market. My ENT (ear, nose and throat Dr.) told me they were better than molded earplugs.

Yup. I've had the fancy custom made molded ones but the cheap foam plugs work better for me.

foam so far - they work...at least for me. but I have had tenitis for about 20 years or so...

Most likely from my days at the drag strip...

Oh well - life is good ;)

GG ~

I like the custom plugs that are made especially for your ears. I've had mine for about 5-6 yrs. now and they work great. It kinda sounds like when ya put yer fingers in your ears :lol: Seriously, I tune and repair pianos for aliving and I need my hearing. These custom made plugs are the ticket! I'm gonna get another pair this year also. Good luck, Rye

The US military is now providing the Combat Arms Earplug.

http://crdamc.amedd....RMS_EARPLUG.pdf

This device has been thoroughly vetted by several independent labs here and abroad:

http://www.e-a-r.com...Eval%20v4.2.pdf

Available here:

http://www.amazon.co...6QV15HKS63628S2

...and a plethora of locations on "da Net", your local sporting goods store, Grainger, and others.

Olen

The US military is now providing the Combat Arms Earplug.

http://crdamc.amedd....RMS_EARPLUG.pdf

This device has been thoroughly vetted by several independent labs here and abroad:

http://www.e-a-r.com...Eval%20v4.2.pdf

Available here:

http://www.amazon.co...6QV15HKS63628S2

...and a plethora of locations on "da Net", your local sporting goods store, Grainger, and others.

Olen

Appears they're only rated at 22db. Kind of low.

Appears they're only rated at 22db. Kind of low.

UB,

Part of the deal is that you are still able to hear range commands. I usually have one turned to the "full stop" position and the other in the "dynamic". I can report that my audiologist found no diffirence (as in no additional loss or reduction in understanding) in my hearing after over a year of using these. I think the level of protection is good and gets better at the higher impulse levels.

The conclusion that the product will "improve situational awareness over standard earplugs, and yet provide sufficient protection from weapons fire in most situations". is what I was most interested in.

Olen

Archived