SASS Wire Forum

Beginner Gunfighter Question

rippin kid

Can I cock both of my guns at the same time then fire one at a time?

yes...

• Both revolvers may be cocked at the same time, but must be shot one at a time to facilitate scoring.
SHB p.14

I would suggest reading the rules for Gunfighter category in the Shooters Handbook.

Yes. This is a good beginner technique HOWEVER :) be wary of the split revolver stage. If you cock both and onlt need to shoot one, you'll have to fire that round which will earn ya a P. If you choose this method to begin on, practice "five shot strings."

You can also "cock and shoot". Cock L, & shoot, cock R & shoot, etc. Then there's "Double cock shoot & cock" Cock both coming out of the holsters. Shoot L and while shooting right, cock left and so on and the theory is you're always "one gun ahead" in cocking. This technique will also get you into trouble on those split revolver stages! ;)

From a new gun fighter. Yes you can, but is not the way to do it, as I have been told.I am tring to learn to do it right.I have shot 4 shoots as gun fighter and was doing a lot wrong.If you shoot with a really good gun fighter watch everything he does and how he does it.If they are like the ones I shoot with they will help you with everything. I am shooting my first big shoot this weekend at Bayou Blast .You really have to think.

Dubious Don brought up a good comment about shooting those split pistol stages.

One technique you can employ on those split pistol stages that might help keep you from earning a 'P' is to draw both pistols and only cock one of them for your first shot. THEN, double cock them for shots 2 & 3 and double cock again for shots 4 & 5. Then DON'T Cock until your ready for shots 6 thru 10, of which you can entertain the crowds in any fashion you desire.

There are great GFer's who use double cocking method as well as great GFer's who cock/shoot as Dubious Don indicated.

Two of the best double cockers I've seen in action are Bad River Marty in Michigan and Kid Ziggy in Tennessee.

I Hope shooting GF works out well for you. Make sure those pistols are EMPTY and dry fire them every chance you get.

Oh yea, one more item. If you can contact Buck D Law, I think he might have some 'beginners' info he can give you about shootin GF.

..........Widder

One technique you can employ on those split pistol stages that might help keep you from earning a 'P' is to draw both pistols and only cock one of them for your first shot. THEN, double cock them for shots 2 & 3 and double cock again for shots 4 & 5. Then DON'T Cock until your ready for shots 6 thru 10, of which you can entertain the crowds in any fashion you desire.

There are great GFer's who use double cocking method as well as great GFer's who cock/shoot as Dubious Don indicated.

Two of the best double cockers I've seen in action are Bad River Marty in Michigan and Kid Ziggy in Tennessee.

I Hope shooting GF works out well for you. Make sure those pistols are EMPTY and dry fire them every chance you get.

Oh yea, one more item. If you can contact Buck D Law, I think he might have some 'beginners' info he can give you about shootin GF.

..........Widder

Thanks I will

..........Widder

You're gonna laugh Widder, but I also count my shots on splits so's I don't ALSO get the dreaded "what-d-ya-mean I shot four and six on the revolvers" penalty!?! :lol::blink::lol:

I never wuz any good with numbers.....

One technique you can employ on those split pistol stages that might help keep you from earning a 'P' is to draw both pistols and only cock one of them for your first shot. THEN, double cock them for shots 2 & 3 and double cock

again for shots 4 & 5. Then DON'T Cock until your ready for shots 6 thru 10, of which you can entertain the crowds in any fashion you desire.

I Hope shooting GF works out well for you. Make sure

those pistols are EMPTY and dry fire them every chance you get.

..........Widder

I never thought of only cocking 1 as the first pair. That's perfect. And I have a stage with split pistols coming up sat.

Thanks widder.

Another option for gunfighters when moving during the pistol shooting sequence (5 shots, move, 5 shots) is to simply shoot it double duelist style. Not as much fun, but it simplifies things.

Once you've shot Gunfighter for a while, your cocking method will change to suit the stage, sometimes single cocking, sometimes double cocking. There just has to be some (even if it's very very little) seperation between shots.

The big advantage in double cocking is being able to change leads, as in a double sweep of 5 targets. Say you start on the left, first shot from your left gun.

When you get to #5, double cockers can shoot that with the right gun while getting the left gun back on #1. I alternate and have touble in this area sometimes.

CR

Cowboy Rick - that is exactly why I prefer double cocking. I found early on that switching leads was fairly easy for me so double cocking seems to keep it simple for me and play to my strength of switching leads.

Archived