SASS Wire Forum

Is SASS membership required to participate in matches?

Kid Latham, SASS #79471

Not looking for the pros or cons on the subject, but this question came up during a discussion at our club, and I cannot find a definitive answer. I’ve checked all the handbooks, and there seems to be no mention that requires a shooter to be a SASS member to participate in SASS shooting activities. In fact, there is mention in the handbook of having non-SASS members on a club’s roster. Does anyone have specific information on this? Do you have to be a SASS member to participate in SASS shooting competition at any level? Does such a rule exist in SASS?

Kid Latham

Not looking for the pros or cons on the subject, but this question came up during a discussion at our club, and I cannot find a definitive answer. I’ve checked all the handbooks, and there seems to be no mention that requires a shooter to be a SASS member to participate in SASS shooting activities. In fact, there is mention in the handbook of having non-SASS members on a club’s roster. Does anyone have specific information on this? Do you have to be a SASS member to participate in SASS shooting competition at any level? Does such a rule exist in SASS?

Kid Latham

Not required for local club matches but it is mandatory for Regionals and higher.

Not required for local club matches but it is mandatory for Regionals and higher.

Think that is State or higher.

Can not think of a local club that requires it for just plain old monthly matchs.

There may be some club out there that does after so many matches.

But never have ran into one.

But none around here do.

You don't even have to join the local clubs around here if you don't want.

Just cost you alittle more to shoot in not a member of that local club.

Well - just go to your local match and start some conversation - you will get 'oodles' of info...and fun!. I believe it is State and higher matches that SASS membership is a requirement...and it should be at that level.

example:

http://www.wolverinerangers.org/RW2011ApplicationShooterInfo.pdf

I see your from Tennessee - here's the State match app:

http://wartraceregulators.com/files/SASS_State_Form_2010d.pdf

Both the above links require SASS membership

Now! Git out thar and shoot :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

SASS membership needed for state championship matches and higher. A few multi day club yearly matches also require SASS membership. Don't remember about such events as Senior games and the like. Have not seen a club require SASS membership for monthlies, but some charge more for a monthly match without a SASS membership.

Think that is State or higher.

That's whut I meant. :blush:

State level matches and above are approved by the SASS organization and they have a list of criteria that must be met for each level. This process is not covered in the SASS shooter rules - an entirely different process.

OK, you all seem to believe that SASS membership is required for matches at state or higher level. BUT.... is that so stated in SASS rules, and where???

Thanks,

Kid Latham

It is in the contracts between the state and above shoots and SASS, not any rule handbook.

Might as well throw in my couple of cents..

I believe if Your SASS Club is going to have a ' SASS Sanctioned Annual Match ' your club

must require everyone that shoots in that match be a SASS member.

Also, back a few years ago, I wuz' our club Pres / MD and our club wanted

to become a SASS affiliated Club, I believe we ( as a Club ) had 1 year

for our Club membership to have half of our members to be SASS members.

( that was from the time we first applied to become affilated ) hope this is making sense ?

Wimpy ( what say's "a memory is a hard thing ta' keep, sometimes" )

Might as well throw in my couple of cents..

I believe if Your SASS Club is going to have a ' SASS Sanctioned Annual Match ' your club

must require everyone that shoots in that match be a SASS member.

Also, back a few years ago, I wuz' our club Pres / MD and our club wanted

to become a SASS affiliated Club, I believe we ( as a Club ) had 1 year

for our Club membership to have half of our members to be SASS members.

( that was from the time we first applied to become affilated ) hope this is making sense ?

Wimpy ( what say's "a memory is a hard thing ta' keep, sometimes" )

Yep:

A SASS® AFFILIATED COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING CLUB IS REQUIRED TO:

• Maintain no less than 50% of its membership in SASS. (This

applies to only the "cowboy part" if part of a larger, multi-discipline

shooting club. The 50% rule is waived the first year.)

OK, you all seem to believe that SASS membership is required for matches at state or higher level. BUT.... is that so stated in SASS rules, and where???

Thanks,

Kid Latham

Howdy Kid,

As previously noted, it is a requirement for presenting a SASS-sanctioned match at the STATE+ level.

This is from the 2011 SASS State Action Shooting Championship Match Application:

2011 SASS® STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GUIDELINES

MINIMUM CLUB AND ORGANIZER REQUIREMENTS:

• Club must be SASS affiliated with current proof of insurance.

• Club must invite the participation of all clubs in their state.

Club must require SASS membership for all participants and provide final list of registered shooters to the SASS office for verification of membership.

As usual, PaleWolf is dead on.

For match directors, of state level and above matches, they already know that SASS membership is required. It is in the contract they sign with SASS. The paragraph PaleWolf quoted, is in that contract.

Before the match, a complete list of participants is sent to SASS for verification. If they are not current with their dues, they are contacted.

These matches generally have a line on the application stating that SASS membership is required, because it is.

Clubs also have the option of requiring SASS membership for local matches, if they wish.

A Green Card is also required.

Kidding! :lol:

Howdy Kid,

As previously noted, it is a requirement for presenting a SASS-sanctioned match at the STATE+ level.

This is from the 2011 SASS State Action Shooting Championship Match Application:

Can't get more official than that ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived