SASS Wire Forum

bullet strike too high

Tomboy

Howdy,

Okay, I have forgotten: bullet is hitting high and the rear sight is cranked all the way down. What is the remedy reloadingwise?

Thanks,

T.

Try different powder, there r many that will work . I try until I find one that will hit the bulls eye and hit where I want.

CCBA

Nope, bullet gets out of the barrel faster, before barrel rise can affect the aim.

Howdy

With all due respect, I believe this is a commonly held misconception. At least my own tests seem to prove the opposite.

In my experience, when the bullet is kept the same, but the powder charge is increased, the point of impact is raised, not lowered. Several years ago I was trying out some different 38 Special loads for accuracy. Same 158 grain bullet, different powder charges. When fired from a rest the loads with the heavier powder charges consistently printed higher than the loads with lighter charges, point of aim being the same in both cases. This was at fairly close range, about 30 feet.

Just the other day I was trying to lower the point of impact on another pistol. Same results. Same bullet, lower powder charge and the point of impact came down a couple of inches.

In my experience, the slightly shorter amount of time the bullet is in the barrel is offset by the greater amount of muzzle rise with the heavier powder charge.

Howdy,

Okay, I have forgotten: bullet is hitting high and the rear sight is cranked all the way down. What is the remedy reloadingwise?

Thanks,

T.

The specific answer to your question is to go to a lighter bullet (if you want the reloading answer).

The heavier the bullet the higher the point of impact, for a general velocity.

The gun responds to the powder burning at the same time the bullet responds, it's equal and opposite, and the bullet can't

out speed the recoil, so playing with different powders will make a lot less difference than changing bullet weights.

Dwell time in the barrel is not really a major determinant; it's the force, which is a product of the mass and the acceleration.

A lot of folks are playing with the 147 for 9mm, vice the traditional 115 or 124 gr loadings, my experience in the Browning and

the Kahr is that this only changed the POI by an inch or so, for the 115 vs 124 loadings the POI differed by less than the group sizes.

Some like loading the 90 or 88 grain bullets at mach frantic for more expansion.

Can we get some specific numbers. Where does it hit with a 115 or 124, and with what group size, at what distance? Where does

it hit with other bullet weights and at what distances. How far from the point of aim is that impact?

Shadow Catcher

Archived