SASS Wire Forum

Firing pin

Timber Rattler

The one piece design hits the primer with more energy so a lighter main spring can be used. The kit I bought from Long Hunter smoothed my rifle out very nicely. I'm no expert, and I'm sure others will give you sound reasoning. I know Widder is particularly knowledgable, and will steer you straight.

IMHO a good investment.

Said a bit differently, the mechanical linkage of a standard 2-piece Marlin firing pin dissipates more of the kinetic force of the hammer into other surfaces besides the firing pin than a solid pin arrangement.

If you use one, ensure that you put the the locking bolt/brace back in the gun after disassembly or dire consequences might result.

Hmm, need? no. Does a one piece make the gun more reliable and run smoother? Yes.

The original setup uses a two piece design. At the back of the bolt there is an extension that drops down under spring tension when the locking block lowers when the lever is open. Change to a one piece FP and you eliminate this spring. The rifle runs a good bit smoother.

That flat spring breaks. When it does, the rear half of the firing pin falls out and the gun no-go-boom. This doesn't happen with a one piece design.

With a one piece design the energy from the hammer spring is transferred better and you can use a lighter hammer spring. This also makes the gun run smoother.

Taking out a "safety" which the two piece firing pin is isn't going to be an issue because with the Marlin design when the lever is open the top bearing surface of the lever ALSO prevents the gun from firing out of battery. The two piece FP is redundant.

Archived