SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1886

Cemetery

I read today that the Winchester 1886 is coming back out in 45.70.

Been thinkin' of getting one for quite a spell.

Anybody know who's making them, or is a current *Winchester* a *Winchester*?

If Winchester is the importer? I wonder if they will be using the Japanese firm that made so many of their and Browning's guns in the past? If so, they are nothing but quality throughout. I also can't wait to see on this particular rifle. Smithy.

Winchester offered remakes of the 1886 in .45-70 back in the mid-1980's through 1994. They were made in Miroku, Japan. The ones that I have seen were very good quality and mostly accurate to the originals except for the sliding safety on the upper tang. They can be had for $800 and up in decent condition. I expect the new ones to be the same. I believe that this is also the case with the recent 1892 model offerings.

:FlagAm: The Brownings didn't have they Lawyer safety on them the Winchesters did and the new 95's and deluxe 94's do . The 86's were good guns but I prefere the Browning 86 carbine

Woodfox

I have been testing one of the Extra Light models of the 1886 from Winchester for a few weeks. They are also coming out with a short rifle version.

Nice rifle, but the action is kind of stiff out of the box. Watch the video and you'll see what I mean

A few years ago I chose the Browning, also made in Miroku, over the Winchester for a couple of reasons. The Browning didn't have the tang safety and, IMHO more importantly, it didn't have the rebounding hammer the Winchester's had. The rebounding hammer was blamed for a number of misfires.

My Browning is more accurate than I am. It'll hit the 450 yard gong consistantly with a 405 gr. lead bullet leaving about 1200--1300 fps.

My $.02.

A few years ago I chose the Browning, also made in Miroku, over the Winchester for a couple of reasons. The Browning didn't have the tang safety and, IMHO more importantly, it didn't have the rebounding hammer the Winchester's had. The rebounding hammer was blamed for a number of misfires.

My Browning is more accurate than I am. It'll hit the 450 yard gong consistantly with a 405 gr. lead bullet leaving about 1200--1300 fps.

My $.02.

The Brownings run also had nicer wood than you see on the Winchester runs. All of the Miroku '86's are quality guns. I think it's a shame the newer ones have that silly tang safety on them.

If you can find a Browning, get it.

I hope Lumpy Grits chimes in. I shot his Miroku Winchester '86 at a yearly. A beautiful rifle, tremendously accurate, and a joy to shoot.

I hope Lumpy Grits chimes in. I shot his Miroku Winchester '86 at a yearly. A beautiful rifle, tremendously accurate, and a joy to shoot.

Miroku makes EXCELLENT quality Winshester reproductions ~ still miss the 1895 I let go. It was a helluva shooter in 30-06 :(

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Winchester offered remakes of the 1886 in .45-70 back in the mid-1980's through 1994. They were made in Miroku, Japan. The ones that I have seen were very good quality and mostly accurate to the originals except for the sliding safety on the upper tang. They can be had for $800 and up in decent condition. I expect the new ones to be the same. I believe that this is also the case with the recent 1892 model offerings.

I have a Browning-Miroku that doesn't have a sliding safety. The only visible difference is the screws are more domes on one than the other, but I don't remember which is which. It's a lot more accurate than I am capable of judging.

Had one of the miroku made 1886's in 45-70 that was a great gun, heavy but that made it more shooter friendly then the Marlin lever guns. It was too pretty to carry in the woods and I wound up trading it for something else. Sometimes I'm a bonehead. This was also before I started shooting cowboy.

Archived