SASS Wire Forum

colt value question

I came across a colt SA army, made in 1881 with letter, 44-40, pretty nice shape, screws show use but not buggert up. serial # 67---.

nice patina, maybe a touch of blue showing

any questaments on it's worth?

thanks

cheyenne

First Generation Colts are difficult to accurately value. There are a number of Colt collector websites that you can use to compare similar models, conditions and prices. I am fortunate to have Cherrys in my town; they are recognized as a leading fine arms authority.

Back to this revolver: If it is a .44-40 then it should be marked as a Frontier Model and .44 WCF on the barrel. If these two markings are not present I would have questions. The serial number should be centered and clean. Look for tool marks around the barrel and where the frame would be held if a barrel were being changed. The first generation Colts are known for extremely tight fitting seams especially in the frame and grip frame; there should be no gaps or protrusions, especially where the grip frame meets the frame around the hammer.

As far as value, I would not be surprised by any number starting at $4000 and heading towards $10000 for a 50% Colt with 4 serial digits. The reference books are lagging behind what I have seen in the market: Colt revolvers and Winchesters booked under $2500 are going for less than the book values (middle-class sellers liquidating); those same types of guns booked over $2500 are going for more (investors buying). The prices are high enough for fakes and monkeying around with condition and models.

Getting a letter for a gun from a serial number and description is much different than actually sending the gun to the Cody museum. Letters can be faked, and some letters will actually show differences in the actual gun (rechambering, barrel length, finish).

I sold my first gen Colts and moved to original Winchesters last year. But, owning and shooting (yep, shooting) these guns adds a whole new dimension to cowboy action.

it does have 5 digits...the price is $3300 so I would have to be real sure before I cud pull the trigger on it, so to speak.

thanks for the info...

When i get the chance I will look at it and the letter more carefully.

there was a 73 carbine in 44-40 also, but it had a price of 13k on it so I dint evun bother with it at all. and it wasnt near as clean as the colt

cheyenne

Tom Bullweed; Cheyenne Culpepper original post has not been edited, and he says the serial # is 67--- that's 3 dashes.

Also your telling him about a Frontier Model and 44 WCF, not quite right. In 1878 Colt introduced the Winchester 44-40. By then they were up to 5 digits.

How about Colt acid etched the words"Colt Frontier Six-Shooter" and didn't mark the barrel .44 WCF. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Archived