SASS Wire Forum

What's Going Rate for Stock 1897 Shotgun

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

Have a chance to pick up a 97 stock shotgun. Gun is a one owner originally sold in late 40s or early 50s. Wood good shape, gun functions, missing lots of blueing, barrel inside good. What is the going rate for this condition and age unmodified 97?

Seen them sell as cheap as $250 up to $500. Look on Gunbroker.com, pard recently bought one for $250 shipped!! B)

I picked up a 1955 manufactured one last year for $285. Tight action, grey patina, good bore. Lately I've seen them at shows for up to $700. Haven't seen any actually sold at that price though. There's a couple on Gunbroker in the $300 to $400 range right now. I think that would be fair.

I'm in the market for a 97 as well.

The prices I've seen so far have all been more than I'm willing to pay.

Either it is priced too high because the seller thinks it's a valuable antique - just because it is old and the finish is in bad shape might make it an antique, but it is certainly not valuable (I've seen these in $400 - $500 price range, some sold as 'wall hangers'),

Or it is priced high because the finish is in exceptional condition (90% of original finish), or it is a higher grade (pigeon grade) (the sky is the limit on these - here is a pigeon grade for $6,000).

A local dealer has a new cimarron 97 for $399, but I'm holding out for an original 97.

I ran accross 4 at a gun show this past weekend. Two were $450. One that had been re-stocked was $350 and there was an original Trench Gun in pristine condition that was selling for $3500.

I almost bought one of the $450 as it had a serial number in the millions.

Picked up two from the 1940's last year for $300 each.

Local cowboy gunsmith says they're worth at least $500 each.

Value is whatever the market will bear.

Value is whatever the market will bear.

I think you said it right. I was looking at a used '97 at a local gunsmiths' shop when I was starting up a year ago. Not bad condition but it was 16 gauge. He said several years back no one wanted the '97s. He'd price good ones at $100 and they'd gather dust.

"And then the cowboys came along...."

$299.95 for a new (chinese\norinco ????) one at SoutherOhioGun.com. It has "beautiful American walnut stock." 1917 trench gun $349.95. I know you didn't ask for this info but it never hurts to know the new price when buying old stuff.

jb

I would like to thank everyone for their answers. I have enough information. From what I have seen, cowboy shooters sell stock guns for more than some non cowboy shooters. In the case of the gun I was considering, the owner is now not sure if he really wants to sell it as it was his first shotgun and there is sentimental value in it for him and it is the only gun he owns. Told him if he decides to sell it to let me know first. I still have the first 22 rifle I ever owned and would never sell it. My first shotgun was a 97 my dad traded a guy a case of beer for and it when I was about 11 or 12. After shooting a whole lot with it, I got a Browning Sweet 16 and got rid of the 97. Still have the Sweet 16. Wish I still had the 97.

Pard,

The local shop has two real winchester 97s with one at 350 and one at 375.

There would be tax and or shipping whatever added.

These appear in good working order but I would have em

checked over before betting my life on em.

Best

CR

Archived