SASS Wire Forum

Our dog, Kestrel

Subdeacon Joe

Well, he died this morning. He had been doing poorly for a few weeks. After seeming to start rebounding, going for short walks and starting to eat again, yesterday he started refusing water. We were ready to take him to be put down in a few hours, but, ever the good dog, not wanting to be a bother, he went out onto the front porch about half an hour ago and died quietly. So, now we just need to take is body for cremation.

He was a very good friend for over a decade. Good tempered, friendly, did well in the truck, loved to play tricks on us, and never complained about anything (other than being left behind).

Joe... I don't have the words... The pain is real, but will get better... He will live through your memories... One day... Across the Rainbow Bridge...

Vaya con Dios

Joe, I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this news. My sincerest condolences and the same from Schoolmarm. We treasure our furry friends.

I say this to everyone who goes through this. Will Rodgers said, "If there ain't no dogs in heaven, I wanna' go where the dogs are!"

You will remember him with great joy even years from now. I promise!

Thank you. I know that he will live on in our memories. But damn, it is hard right now.

When he went outside, he looked at both of us, wagged his tail as if to say "Thanks, but it is time for me to go." then he walked out, lay down on the door mat, groaned once, and it was over.

Thank you. I know that he will live on in our memories. But damn, it is hard right now.

When he went outside, he looked at both of us, wagged his tail as if to say "Thanks, but it is time for me to go." then he walked out, lay down on the door mat, groaned once, and it was over.

The most undemanding, selfless, worthy creatures the Lord put on this planet...and then made them our friends for life. Remember the good days; time heals all wounds.

LL

Here he is from about a month ago:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/subdjoe/IMAG00082.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/subdjoe/IMAG00072.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/subdjoe/IMAG00062.jpg

Date stamp is correct, time stamp is way off - it was just after sun rise. Photos taken at Cache Creek Northern Loop, BLM preserve. Our last good outing where he frolicked in the water, dug for critters, and just got to be a dog.

He could be a putz, trying to find thickets that he could get through, but he knew I would have to drop the leash - I usually used a 30 foot one so he could range away from me a bit.

ADDED:

I'm going to be posting here a lot today, kind of a wake for him. Thanks for letting me bend your ears (eyes).

I'm going to be posting here a lot today, kind of a wake for him. Thanks for letting me bend your ears (eyes).

Let 'er rip Pard! We got all the time in the world an' the floor is yours!!

I am indeed sorry for your loss, Joe. I know how special a pet can become. They are God's gift to man to help him through the tough times and enjoy the good times. As Flint said, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Very sorry for your loss Pard.

A Cowboy's Dog

There's them that say

A cowboy's horse

Is always on his mind

That may be true

Makes sense of course

But maybe he can find

A little room for

Four more legs

And a pair of big brown eyes

A sloppy tongue

A waggin tail

And a heart two times his size

A cayuse means

A paycheck sure

A strong and faithful ride

But an ole dog

Kinda fills a need

That we all have inside

He'll work beside you

All day long

And never once complain

He'll follow you

Through thick and thin

In sunshine and in rain

He'll share your food

He'll share your bed

He'll be your lifelong pard

And when he hits

His end of trail

Oh Lordy, it's sure hard

You think about

The times you had

And how he pulled you through

When you were down

He'd jump right up

And chase away your blues

And when he's gone

You just ride on

Your cayuse starts to jog

But in your heart

You'll keep a place

For that ole cowboy’s dog.

Dear Joe,

I am so sorry that you lost your friend, Kestrel. I know that you will have many good memories to help ease the pain in the next few months. Bury some of his ashes in a spot that you go by often, and you will always feel that he is there with you.

Wildcat

DAMMIT,BOB! You got me cryin' again! And I thank you for it. And all of you, thanks for your kind words.

We just now got back from taking him for his last ride in the truck - to the vet for cremation. Hitting the rumble patch before the stop signs got to us because he would always perk his ears up at that sound.

When we stopped at the store for some comfort food and TP we didn't have to tell him "Good dog! Stay!" And now, coming home, the living room seems so empty and quiet.

We tried, on the way home, to think of anything he did that was just plain annoying without also being somewhat endearing. The closest we could come was either the way he would hog the bed, or lay as a black trip hazard in the bedroom doorway at night.

Dear Joe,

I am so sorry that you lost your friend, Kestrel. I know that you will have many good memories to help ease the pain in the next few months. Bury some of his ashes in a spot that you go by often, and you will always feel that he is there with you.

Wildcat

Wildcat:

My first Lab's ashes are in a container, just inside the doorway of our beach house (one of his favorite places to be). Every time we come down, he's there to greet us, and he gets a tap when we leave. He'll be with us there as long as we're around.

LL

Dear Joe,

Wildcat

I wish we could, but the $50 extra for getting the cremains was beyond us. We will be content knowing that his long hair will be years in coming out of the truck and our clothes. Only dog I ever had that coughed up more hair balls than the cats we had. As Bill the Cat would say 'Ooop...Ackkk.'

Joe, I lost my best friend and constant companion, Akela last April. I still miss him, but I can finally talk about him without losing it. Well, sometimes, anyway. All you can do is be thankful that you had that wonderful time with him and know that you gave him back all the love that he gave you. Kestrel is in good company, Akela will show him around.

Hugs,

V

He can look up Harley 'n' Traveller too!

Wow, over a hundred views of this so far. Granted, about ten of those are mine, but still kind of impressive.

Amazing what an emotional and sentimental bunch "gun nuts" are. And how supportive.

I want to thank all y'all again for your expressions of love and support. And the offers of helping out with some money so we can get his ashes. But, he is gone, we don't own him except in memory now (well, and fur all over the place). His ashes will mingle with those of others, he will join that pack across the Bridge, be in top form and able to range freely to his spirits content.

We kept some things of his to remember him by, and sent some things with him. One of which was his toothbrush. Let me tell you about that. My morning routine used to be get up, do most of the usual, then get back into bed, scan through the paper and brush my teeth. He would duck under or around the paper and lick my face and my tooth brush. One day when I was about due for a new one, I just gave it to him. He grabbed it, set it down and held it with one paw and gnawed at it, brushing his teeth. He got to the point where he would even brush after eating. Every now and then I would sort of refresh it with a little bit of toothpaste. And I would give him all my old brushes, which he attacked with much pleasure. Very strange dog.

I wish we could, but the $50 extra for getting the cremains was beyond us. We will be content knowing that his long hair will be years in coming out of the truck and our clothes. Only dog I ever had that coughed up more hair balls than the cats we had. As Bill the Cat would say 'Ooop...Ackkk.'

I doubt that he has been cremated yet. Call the place that you took him and tell them you want the cremated remains.......I'll send you the $50. I know your pain all too well.

Let me know, Sun

I doubt that he has been cremated yet. Call the place that you took him and tell them you want the cremated remains.......I'll send you the $50. I know your pain all too well.

Let me know, Sun

Sun, I got half!

Let me know, Sun

Sun, I got half!

Will respond via PM.

ADDED: Blackwater, I can't PM you.

Had a little dog do the same thing, Joe. I'd made an appoint to have her put down and she died the night before. Never wanted to inconvenience anyone.

She died 21 March, 1984 at 16 1/2 years. I still miss her a lot.

She and a few others I've had over the years will look out for Kestrel until you get there yourself.

Had a little dog do the same thing, Joe. I'd made an appoint to have her put down and she died the night before. Never wanted to inconvenience anyone.

She died 21 March, 1984 at 16 1/2 years. I still miss her a lot.

She and a few others I've had over the years will look out for Kestrel until you get there yourself.

And his old pard and buddy Merlin (for the bird,not the mage) who we had to put down back in Oct of 07. K-dog was a good hand taller, but played second to him since M-dog was with us first. The first month with the two of them was...interesting. But once Merlin got the idea that Kestrel wasn't going to challenge him, they were boon companions. Seeing them running side by side was great. And when I had both of them on leashes, they could pull me along unless I was on dry pavement.

Oh lordy - they have teamed up again!

Awful sorry to hear about Kestrel. We've had two long-hair black dogs ourselves; Indy, who died in March '07, and Sampson, who we lost on Feb. 14. The black hair will be with you for a looooong time to come.

Awful sorry to hear about Kestrel. We've had two long-hair black dogs ourselves; Indy, who died in March '07, and Sampson, who we lost on Feb. 14. The black hair will be with you for a looooong time to come.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, Merlin was a flat coated retriever, so long black hair. People though he and Kestrel were littermates.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Joe, my sincere condolences.

Almost nothing hurts like losing a good dog. Except for never again having a good dog in your life.

Grieve for a while, it's only natural. Then go to a pound or rescue agency and make another dog's life wonderful.

UM

On another forum where I posted about this someone posted:

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved guardian, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for your love and kindness than mine.

Do not break my spirit with harsh words or with a stick, for although I would forgive you, I learn much better through your patience and understanding the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when I hear you call my name.

Please want me with you always, for my joy springs from your attention, and I ask no greater glory than your love and the privilege of your company.

Please keep my bowl filled with fresh water, and feed me clean food that I may stay well to romp and play. I live to be with you and make you happy; to walk by your side, standing ready to protect you with my own life should your life be in danger.

And, dearest one, if my suffering is too great, please see that my leaving is gentle and loving, and that you stay with me to the very end as I have stayed with you.

My beloved guardian, I will give you all the love I have to give, and I will keep all the love you give to me. I shall leave you then, knowing even in my sorrow, with the last breath I draw, that our time together was precious and beautiful, and that my life was always safe in your hands.

~ Beth Norman Harris

©1991

That could almost have been written about him. My wife was his owner on paper, but when we got him home from the pound I instantly became his person, the center of his universe. When I was away at reenactments and such, my wife says he moped the whole time, either on the porch watching for me to come back, or just inside the front door, waiting for me to walk in.

Joe, prayers up for you and the rest of Kestrel's family.

I've sent two over the Rainbow Bridge in the last six months. so I know it will get better.

Archived