SASS Wire Forum

Colt 2nd Gen returns from the shop

This Winter I traded Roughshod for a 2nd Generation Colt. Unfortunately someone had refaced the rear of the cylinder and ruined the head spacing. I took it to the range and every cartridge case I'd fired was split open length-wise. On top of that it had an amature action job, and Roughshod's initials were engraved on the backstrap.

I sent it to Alan Harton's Single Action Service in Houston and he returned it to factory new condition. Alan has worked on several of my guns and I'd recommend him to anyone.

Shot it on Monday...here's the video:

Howdy

EXCELLENT VIDEO! One of the best homemade videos I've seen. You do an excellent job of describing the gun, and what was done to it. The shots of you shooting it are really nice too. I'll bet it felt really good to shoot it the first time, too, didn't it?

Now all you need to do is shoot it with Black Powder to really feel what it was like.

By the way, I have two 2nd Gens that are my main match pistols. There's just nothing like shooting a Colt.

Howdy Mike,

Very nice video, thanks for sharing your new 2nd Gen. Colt with us here on the Wire. I also have a 2nd Gen Colt, mine is also in 45 but with a 7 1/2" barrel. I also traded for mine and it came one piece ivory grips. I had mine restored to pristine new condition and with the action tuned by the late Bob Shaw. Anyhow, thanks for sharing. There is just something very special owning a real Colt SAA.

Roy

Well Done!

Alan works on Rugers too! And Uberti's, and Remingtons and 'Custom built for you only' revolvers, and just about any thing that goes bang! And if he doesnt work on them, he knows someone that will do excellent work for you.

Very special person, that is Alan. :FlagAm:

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

Alan has worked on a number of my guns, both Colt SAA's and my Uberti Open Tops. He used to be a pretty well-kept secret, but a thread like this will likely change that.

He's more than a gunsmith... he's an artist who works with single actions... and he's damn good at it!

Regards, TJH

Alan is a great guy and one of the very best on restoring guns. He did a job for me a few years ago on an orginal early Colt SSA that some famous General had used to kill himself with and in doing so he pressed the muzzle so hard against his head when the gun fired it broke the top strap and slpit the side of the 44-40 barrel. I had had the gun since the mid 1950s and had always wanted to find someone that could restore it to its orginal condition.

One day I happen to meet Alan Harton at the San-Tex gun show in San Antonio and after talking with him and looking at his work I decided to give him the old Colt and see if he could restore it. I had a letter from Colt and He would only restore it to its orginal form. Some where alone the line from 1890 to the day I got it it had been hard chrombed and had no grips on it. It had left the factory with a case harden frame and blued barrel 4 3/4 and was 44-40. Cost was not a factor as I wanted the Old Colt back to its orginal condition and intended to always keep it.

I give Alan the Colt letter and over a year later He called to say the gun was ready and if I wanted he could install a one peice ivory grips on it. I drove over to Houston and met Alan at his house and when He handed me to Old Colt I was extreamly impressed. It looked like it did the day it left the Colt factory in 1890. Alan had removed the chorme finish and had welded the top starp back and had the frame case harden and had found a 1890 orginal trigger guard with stamps that only that year had and with the ivory grips looking like they had grown on the gun it was 100% perfect in ever respect. For the amound of work it had taken to restore the Old Colt to like new condition and install fine ivory grips on it the price was around $3,300.00 or $3,400.00 I seem to remember and in my opinion well worth ever cent many times over for the work only a MASTER CRAFTSMAN can do.

Alan has EARNED the respect of men who know guns and fellow collectors across the nation and not just that He is an HONEST MAN. I have seen his work and it has no equal. I have several other guns that I have waiting for him to work on and without hesitation I recondmend Alan Horton anytime.

Texas Man

Archived