SASS Wire Forum

Price of lead

WW ingots are worth about 1.00/lb, lino is more like 1.25-1.50. At least that is what it sells for over at www.castboolits.gunloads.com How much ya got?

Kitco has pure lead "spot priced" at $1.18 a pound today. Scrap prices usually are a lower value than the spot price for pure lead.

You can always find this at:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

Even though us casters cannot usually buy at spot price, it sure shows you the trend of which way prices are heading.

Good luck, GJ

Metals prices for lead are for FINISH LEAD; lead that has been cleaned, refined, etc. and is ready for manufacture into lead based products. HOWEVER, everybody that has a bucket of dirty lead for sale, such as alloyed wheel weights w/steel clips, dirt, grime, zinc weights mixed in, and whatnot, looks up the spot price for lead on that particular day and thinks their scrap is worth that amount. Kinda like digging THIS up, then calling the LGS, have them tell you a WWII Colt 1911 is worth $500 or $1000, and expecting to get that out of it.

Metals prices for lead are for FINISH LEAD; lead that has been cleaned, refined, etc. and is ready for manufacture into lead based products. HOWEVER, everybody that has a bucket of dirty lead for sale, such as alloyed wheel weights w/steel clips, dirt, grime, zinc weights mixed in, and whatnot, looks up the spot price for lead on that particular day and thinks their scrap is worth that amount. Kinda like digging THIS up, then calling the LGS, have them tell you a WWII Colt 1911 is worth $500 or $1000, and expecting to get that out of it.

Except what you dug up isn't a 1911 Colt, it's a Polish Radom Type III.

Thanks to all who replied. I had an old friend who is near the end ask me to buy all his lead. I gave him almost twice what the local scrapyard was offering. A deal is a deal, and I promised to buy it all. When we got through in his old garage, there was almost 3 TONS (!!!!!) of pure lead, linotype, wheel weight lead cast into clean ingots, plus range bullets cast into ingots. Nobody had any idea there would be this much. I'm trying to figure out how to move it (not physically...I already did that) I mean market it!!!!

Now there's a guy after my own heart. I have about that much but I don't plan on going out anytime soon. What you can't sell here try and sell over at cast boolits, that's what we do over there. A buck a lb for WW, a little more for pure and a little more than that for Lino if you can show it is really Lino. Double box it in Medium Flat Rate boxes and sell it 50-60 lbs at a time to make it worth the shipping. Use lots of tape.

Double boxing it is the minimum way to ship. I discovered an excellent buffer for heavy items when shippin; that is take plastic coke or water bottles and crush them half way and put lid back on so they hold air and stuff between the inner and outer box. Makes a next to nearly impossible to destroy shipping carton. ( was shiping alternators and steel brake discs)

Muleshoe

Ok.. Polish Ra :) dome type 3? What year ??? Since we are talking lead don't you mean radon? PS: be careful by any old lead buy scrap. You may end up buying old radiation shielding! It definatly ruin more than just your day

Plywood sounds like a good idea but I have received a few of them all busted up. I have found it is better to just double box and let the box take it's hits, the lead doesn't care, and it will absorb the impact better. Just use lots of good tape. It the box arrives round but intact that is all you need.

Ok.. Polish Ra :) dome type 3? What year ??? Since we are talking lead don't you mean radon? PS: be careful by any old lead buy scrap. You may end up buying old radiation shielding! It definatly ruin more than just your day

From working in a radiation facility for 20 years, I can certify to you that lead used for radiation shielding WILL NOT have become radioactive itself. Lead is a shield, not an active radioisotope. The only way for lead shielding to have any radioactive content is for the surface of the lead to have been splashed with another material that is radioactive that has then been smashed into the surface. So, if you have shielding lead with a clean surface, you have perfectly safe lead.

Don't spread misinformation about radiation. PLEASE.

Thanks, GJ

Archived