SASS Wire Forum

How do you keep your suspenders from bleeding?

Hardin Morningwood

What steps can you take to keep the dye from bleeding out of your suspenders and staining your shirts?

Got some black and some brown leather suspenders and I am afraid to wear them with my light colored shirts for fear of ruining them.

Since I am considering making a bunch of my own leather goods, I have considered making a pair of natural leather (non died) and let them "Sweat weather" themselves.

In the end, I really just don't want to always wear my black shirts.

Thank-ye in advance.

Never had a problem with my braces bleeding dye. If you are worried about it, put on a cheap tee shirt and your braces, work up a sweat and see if the dye bleeds. The better leather dies are not going to be water soluble.

Good luck, GJ

I had some do that, and ended up using them only on dark shirts, and went to cotton webbing type suspenders. Much more comfortable, and no bleeding.

DM

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
How do you keep your suspenders from bleeding?

Hemomaniacs... are they?

Just carry ya some bandaids around... gotta be sorta long and thin-like.

ts

What steps can you take to keep the dye from bleeding out of your suspenders and staining your shirts?

Got some black and some brown leather suspenders and I am afraid to wear them with my light colored shirts for fear of ruining them.

Since I am considering making a bunch of my own leather goods, I have considered making a pair of natural leather (non died) and let them "Sweat weather" themselves.

In the end, I really just don't want to always wear my black shirts.

Thank-ye in advance.

Natural leather, "sweat weathered" will stain too!!

The salts from sweat will pull the oils from the leather and give ya nice golden brown stain.

Seal them babies with Bag Coat, Tan Coat, Sheen, Etc.

I like Bag Coat (Tandy) cut 50/50 with water...spray on let dry, do it again.

Hell, one more time...DA DA!!!

Nothing is 100% when it comes to sweat!!

Part of being Cowboy...if it's good enough for Festus...by God, it's good enough for me!!!

BH

Well I got pretty much what I expected: A little advice, some humor and wad of S.A.edness LOL it's all good for me. :D

I got 2 sets of black leather bracers that I have always only worn with black shirts because if you handle them with sweaty hands (like hanging your thumbs in them to stop "Italian Talking" the black has come off on my hands. never dared wear them with lighter colors. Just added some light colored shirts to my west collection and really don't want them ruined.

I'll give the bag coat a try...if'n it don't fly, you'll can start calling me "Daniel the Black"

For the most comfortable and best looking suspenders... and still made as they did in the "day"... try Braces from the Men's Warehouse, in a wide assortment of colors. I used to buy mine from JCPenney's, but they stopped carrying them in the on-line catalog, and are hard to find in stores.

Can't swear any particular brand WON'T bleed, but they're for wearin' with fancy shirts and I've never had any of mine bleed onto my shirts. (And I don't wear dark colors).

For the most comfortable and best looking suspenders... and still made as they did in the "day"... try Braces from the Men's Warehouse, in a wide assortment of colors. I used to buy mine from JCPenney's, but they stopped carrying them in the on-line catalog, and are hard to find in stores.

Can't swear any particular brand WON'T bleed, but they're for wearin' with fancy shirts and I've never had any of mine bleed onto my shirts. (And I don't wear dark colors).

Lordy, those are expensive! Try: http://www.marlowwhite.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=01-175 Large assortment of colors.

iffn thar bleedun, find tha throat and slit et and lit wt bleed out....

cudn't resist one more...

Cheyenne, who can't ware suspendurs in BW, Culpepper

Thanks fer the thoughts.

I can see some of ya yuckin it up that you don't own any Wah Maker White Limited Editions :D

Gonna try some of the suggestions and see what works out and report back.

Had the same problem, took them to the shoe repair shop and had them replace the inside (shirt side) with a natural colored leather, no more problems.

Tucker T

I just looked at mine and they are natural/rough on the inside.

Daniel got me worked up over nuth'in! ^_^

Shoot Fire RHL

You think you got worked up, you wait and get a look at the ladies when I show up....they get all worked up fer sure :huh:

Shoot Fire RHL

You think you got worked up, you wait and get a look at the ladies when I show up....they get all worked up fer sure :huh:

That'll be a sight! All lathered up and...

I'd better just stop there. :unsure:

You could try lining your braces with black or brown duct tape then trip the excess off of the edges.

Heck, you can fix almost anything with duct tape.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/wylieharp/ducttape.jpg

~:Wylie:~

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel,

I started out reenacting with a professional group and have twelve sets of pant and shirt combos, numerous scarfs and many sets of suspenders and more. My character is a working range cowboy so in my case I did not want a polished "town" look. I realized after admiration for salty type outfits that my duds needed an aged and faded look to represent my character. I hung the shirts out in the 100* weather for weeks at a time to fade.

The suspenders I had "stain" clothing most was a Wah-Maker harness leather in brown. I do also own the Wah-Maker canvas sets and one is natural and the other I soaked in Tea for a week to age it. My point is the bleaching enhanced the authenticity of the overall look on my shirts. Granted none of these shirts were white so staining only complimented their visual correctness. With age and wear the "bleed" stops and residual stains wash out...mostly.

I find it a interesting psychological personal journey in trying to forget my 2011 fashion tendancies (jeans) and take on what I call the "Gunsmoke" look. Sweat, bearded, faded, worn, weather beaten, cow stomped, stream washed, horse licked working clothes.

Thanks for the input JJ

I understand dedicating to create/recreate a period person after 12 years in a medieval re enactment group living in the brain/clothing of a 13th century court merchant or a 14th century brigand.

I have not completely refined the desired persona for this new adventure but my current image is cross between the James Garner "Maverick" and Alfred Molina character "Angel" from the later Maverick. Basically a gambler that has seen as many Losses (perhaps more) as Wins and his attire reflects both the good times in some finer things and the bad, when he would be tossing his "Paris Made" shirt off his back into the pot.

Following this theme, I can meet both of my visions covering frontier mining camp hard wearing clothing with "hints" of better times and the full San Francisco "best of times" look as mood strikes. I made nearly all of my leather gear in the past and always had them bleed into the "Garb" which was not an issue for a "Brigand". Now I have acquired some very nice shirts befitting the "Best of times" and noted that even store bought leather suspenders were starting to bleed into the clean white with even lightest of wearing. More modern elastic (which I picked up on recommendation of Wild West Mercantile) are fine so long as it is under the waistcoat but reduces the overall flexibility of interchanging items in the two styles.

I just patterned out a new pair of leather suspenders and plan on lining them with natural 2oz so we will see how this goes.

Guest mcshagnasty,sass#452

Bad Hombre hit directly on the Head take his advice I have been using the same stuff for 25 years works great

all avalible at tandy cheap.

good luck

b.b. mcshagnasty

sass452

The cotton canvas style in color can be helped by a rinse in a mild vinegar solution. Also works on the colored shirts with a white color band.

Thanks for the input JJ

I understand dedicating to create/recreate a period person after 12 years in a medieval re enactment group living in the brain/clothing of a 13th century court merchant or a 14th century brigand.

I have not completely refined the desired persona for this new adventure but my current image is cross between the James Garner "Maverick" and Alfred Molina character "Angel" from the later Maverick. Basically a gambler that has seen as many Losses (perhaps more) as Wins and his attire reflects both the good times in some finer things and the bad, when he would be tossing his "Paris Made" shirt off his back into the pot.

Following this theme, I can meet both of my visions covering frontier mining camp hard wearing clothing with "hints" of better times and the full San Francisco "best of times" look as mood strikes. I made nearly all of my leather gear in the past and always had them bleed into the "Garb" which was not an issue for a "Brigand". Now I have acquired some very nice shirts befitting the "Best of times" and noted that even store bought leather suspenders were starting to bleed into the clean white with even lightest of wearing. More modern elastic (which I picked up on recommendation of Wild West Mercantile) are fine so long as it is under the waistcoat but reduces the overall flexibility of interchanging items in the two styles.

I just patterned out a new pair of leather suspenders and plan on lining them with natural 2oz so we will see how this goes.

Daniel,

Sounds like you have a pretty good direction in your persona. I have outfits that span the rondevous era of 1840 up to the slicker look of 1886's shooters. Pants, suspenders and shirts are all stored together as a packaged outfit.I have come to realize that on a given day at the shoot my outfit is a single moment or day in time. Older aged outfits represent hard work while newly purchased items represent payday in town at the end of the drive.

Good wishes directed at your own suspender creation. I am constantly trying to invent something that might allow me to become a vendor at cowboy events. Happy Trails, JJ

Archived