SASS Wire Forum

What to do in Denver this weekend

We are heading to Denver this Friday, just for a visit and to get away.

Planning on the aquarium, and a stop at the flea market. Any other suggestions from you Colorado folks?

Any good unknown antique/western shops?

Any CAS related shops?

Anything train related, as our boy loves trains.

We will be armed with a vicious dinosaur/bear/cowboy 2 year old boy, so watch out. If you see a little boy in a red cowboy hat, thats us.

DM

You have to take him to Casa Bonita for dinner one night he and you will have a blast. It is on Colfax. They have a great Zoo in Denver but not sure of our weather this weekend to be outside. There is a shoot east of Colorado Springs on Sunday Ben Lonmond Fun Shoot in Ramah.

Painted Filly

Railroad museum is excellent, but the best part is outdoors.

Casa Bonita is a fun time, especially with kids.

Been so long since my kids were 2 I don't remember what they were up to at that age. IIRC there are several children's museums that have hands on stuff for the kids.

When we used to travel with our kids, it seems like the hotel swimming pool was often what they enjoyed most LOL.

Have fun.

Grizz

Casa Bonita is on the list for sure. Been a long time since I have been there.

John Boy, did that link already. Thanks.

The railroad museum is a possiblity. Thought about Tiny Town, but according to the website, its not open until May.

Are any of the railroad rides open around there yet?

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em comin.

DM

It has been mentioned all ready, but Cosa Bonitas is a must see if you have young children. Sheplers to the north just off I25. There should be some gold mine museums west of Denver. Bass Pro shop just off I70 at the Quebec Street exit. This is on the old airport. The old airport is mostly all devloped into shopping with plenty of places to eat. I'm not from Denver but I spend about a week there every January at the National Western stock Show. There could be a horse show or rodeo at the National Western complex.

I strongly recommend 2 restaurants: The Buckhorn Exchange and The Fort. Buckhorn is the real deal, Liquor license #1, full of old west history and things to see, Buffalo Bill ate there, etc. The Fort is set up as a fur trade post, mountain men, tipis, etc. with costumed waiters and elk on the menu. Neither one is cheap, but worth the price anyway.

The O'Meara himself

The weather is supposed to be decent this weekend..If ya bring guns and want a little shooting the Cherry Creek State Park has a range open to public..excellent trap facility and the rifle/pistol range usually does not have too much of a wait. Right down the road at Parker and Arapahoe is a restaurant called Cheddar's...good eats, nice atmosphere, good prices..up the road a piece is a Shepplers. It's just a little early for some of the outdoor stuff. If you are into old farms and things there's the Denver Botanic Gardens at Chatfield.

We used to always go to the Trail Dust to eat. It was north on Hwy 36 and the Sheridan exit. It was always a fun place to go. They had an indoor slide. I don't know if it is still open. Bennets ribs is another good place to eat.

Well Casa Bonita would be on my list too.

I'd also suggest the "Wings Over the Rockies" museum on the old Lowery AFB. I used to teach young Airmen how to load bombs in the hangar it's in. You can also see the only remaining B-52B model outside.

heck... take a train ride up to Winter Park. Have lunch, watch the skiers and come back.

Archived