SASS Wire Forum

custom wood grip suppliers help

Anybody use Klamath River for custom wood grips? I've got new guns and need a suggestion. I know about Eagle, but last time I went there, it took months to get a pair of Rosewood grips and they left one coil of the spring that fastens to the grip frame outside the gun and sliced my thumb big time.

Anybody use Klamath River for custom wood grips? I've got new guns and need a suggestion. I know about Eagle, but last time I went there, it took months to get a pair of Rosewood grips and they left one coil of the spring that fastens to the grip frame outside the gun and sliced my thumb big time.

I just had my USFA done by Outlaw Grips (http://www.outlawgrips.com/index.htm ) I have big hands and wanted a grip a little larger than normal, he did a super job , took about 4 weeks, the fit and finish is super......I got the one piece Fancy Walnut on this pair, as soon as my other pair comes in from LongHunter I want to have the Bolivian Rosewood 2 piece put on them, not sure why my text changed sizes :unsure: , but I like his work and service

Hey pard

Two company's I like and are very reasonably priced are bear paw on eBay ,that's what I'm using and have a gunfighter style grip for less recoil .. And altamont are real nice they are laser cut but have a lot of fancy designs

Got grips for my very first pair of Rugers from Klamath River. Saw beautiful pics of Claro Walnut and had to have it. Can't remember exactly how long it took but I do remeber being very pleasantly surprised at how fast I got them. First class fit and finish with outstanding communication through the whole deal.

Keno Slim at Klamath River makes the best custom wood grips I've owned (& I've owned lots)

He's the only person I get custom wood grips from any more.

Here's some fishscale grips he carved for me for my Beretta Laramies:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/gsonnenmd/SASS/DSC00394.jpg

Howdy FH: I have used Keno Slim's expertise and artestry on several occasion. He fitted my main match 44-40's with American Holly, also an 1860 .44 fluted cylinder Colt Army clone. The results were spectaculiar. This wood looks remarkably like ivory---beautiful. I also had him add a section of American Holly to the front end of the fore-stock of my H&R 1871 Target model long range rifle. He cut it on a 45 degree replacing the schnable (sp?)end. The contour matches exactly. He even scrimshawed a Texas Ranger star on it with my alias. I guarantee you want find better work anywhere and the price is more than competive for custom made hand fitted one-piece wood grips. Give him a call, you wont be sorry. S.G.

P.S. He also made grips from spalted maple for my Taurus PT 1911. I just sent him the old plastic grip panels and he sent me the new grips--they fit perfect!!

Called Klamath River and answering machine said there are medical issues and no orders would be taken. Called Outlaw grips and had a good talk. I think I'm going that way.

Archived