SASS Wire Forum

Question about BP shotshells and cartridges.

Boondock Saint, #70146

I was going through some of my reloading stuff and I found some older cartridges and shotshells.

These were all loaded in November or December of 2006. The shotshells are loaded with Goex and the cartridges are loaded with Triple 7.

They have been stored in the dry. They look OK. Are these safe to shoot? If not, is the danger a squib or a massive boom?

Thanks for any advice.

Boondock

Howdy

I have no experience with 777, but I can tell you that as long as they have been stored in a dry place, cartridges and shotshells loaded with real Black Powder are good for a long, long time.

Howdy

I have no experience with 777, but I can tell you that as long as they have been stored in a dry place, cartridges and shotshells loaded with real Black Powder are good for a long, long time.

4ever

Til the Earth falls into the sun in the year 7,000,004,024. Keep your distance from them when that happens, as you could be seriously injured, or even killed.

With Goex BP loaded shotshells, no real danger of either squib or over-pressure. Had the shotshells been loaded with Pyrodex, I would be concerned about atmospheric water absorption POSSIBLY causing them to be squibs. Had that happen to some of mine that I had stored a couple of months, and also a good pard had that happen with his. We both quit using Pyrodex in shotshells.

With metallic cartridges and 777, I have no experience, but again the any slightly possible problem would be squibs, not overpressure. As long as the external case is intact, you should have good luck with the metallic cartridges.

Good luck, GJ

Pyrodex certainly seems to be the most erratic powder out there, based on posts here and on other forums & websites. Folks either swear by it or at it. On one forum a poster said he had a brand new bottle that wouldn't burn if you put a match to it, and another guy said he had a bottle that was 10 years old that worked great.

I started a thread a few months back regarding the shelf life of shotshells loaded with Pyrodex, and as I recall Noz did a test where he put a shell in a glass of water to see what would happen. After several days in several positions, it went *bang* without any trouble. Based on his experiment I'm not overly concerned.

My guess would be as long as the shell maintains its integrity and there's a good tight seal between the wad base and hull, and the primer is good and snug, then the chances of moisture invading the powder are pretty small. Now if it the humidity was really high when they were loaded, and the powder had a chance to absorb some from the air and then was sealed in the shell that way, then that might cause a problem.

Pyrodex certainly seems to be the most erratic powder out there, based on posts here and on other forums & websites. Folks either swear by it or at it. On one forum a poster said he had a brand new bottle that wouldn't burn if you put a match to it, and another guy said he had a bottle that was 10 years old that worked great.

I started a thread a few months back regarding the shelf life of shotshells loaded with Pyrodex, and as I recall Noz did a test where he put a shell in a glass of water to see what would happen. After several days in several positions, it went *bang* without any trouble. Based on his experiment I'm not overly concerned. My guess would be as long as the shell maintains its integrity and there's a good tight seal between the wad base and hull, and the primer is good and snug, then the chances of moisture invading the powder are pretty small. Now if it the humidity was really high when they were loaded, and the powder had a chance to absorb some from the air and then was sealed in the shell that way, then that might cause a problem.

Here's a link to a thread by J-BAR regarding his testing of a shotshell/glass of water test:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163568&view=findpost&p=2104466&hl=pyrodex&fromsearch=1

... After some consideration of the tone involved, this reply removed....

Good luck with your own loads! GJ

Here's a link to a thread by J-BAR regarding his testing of a shotshell/glass of water test:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163568&view=findpost&p=2104466&hl=pyrodex&fromsearch=1

I apologize for mis-identifying the pard who did the test.

The top hat is what threw me. ;)

Howdy GJ - I recall most of what you wrote in your original post, and I think your skepticism is not unwarranted. The validity of any theory or process lies in its repeatability. Might I suggest that you (or other pards) duplicate J-Bar's experiment to see if the results are the same?

If you do A and B happens, then it must be true. If the result is different, then you have to figure out what the X variable was. Age of powder? Storage conditions? Humidity the day they were loaded? Standard or magnum primer? Amount of compression when the wad was seated in the hull? You could probably write a master's thesis with all the data.

A friend of mine loaded up some Pyrodex shotshells. One of them went *pfft*. Shot dribbled out of the muzzle, and the charge basically just caught fire without really going off. All the rest of the ones he loaded all at the same time worked fine. Explanation? I don't have one. All things being equal, in theory it shouldn't have happened.

This will be the first year I'm trying Pyrodex in shotshells instead of 777. Did it as an cost savings move due to the $8 per bottle price difference. They're all sealed away in a GI ammo can with a dessicant pack, and I plan on only taking out as many as I need per match. If they all go off, then good for me. If I get any fizzlers, then the experiment in false economy will be over. We'll know more next Fall.

Til the Earth falls into the sun in the year 7,000,004,024. Keep your distance from them when that happens, as you could be seriously injured, or even killed.

:lol:

Archived