SASS Wire Forum

Guns of the Old West

Rube Burrows

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to the people who put out Guns of the Old West magazine. I picked up the Spring 2011 copy today and its full of good reading. I sure with this magazine was monthly.

Cover Photo

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Guns-of-the-Old-West/351152088512?v=wall#!/photo.php?fbid=10150105526968513&set=a.351221863512.150930.351152088512&theater

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to the people who put out Guns of the Old West magazine. I picked up the Spring 2011 copy today and its full of good reading. I sure with this magazine was monthly.

Cover Photo

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Guns-of-the-Old-West/351152088512?v=wall#!/photo.php?fbid=10150105526968513&set=a.351221863512.150930.351152088512&theater

Maybe one day your withes will come true.

I like the magazine as well - I keep an eye out for it. Once every three months does not seem often enough.

Yep love the articles about the Civil War guns. Great magazine. Wish it was monthly too. B)

Yep love the articles about the Civil War guns. Great magazine. Wish it was monthly too. B)

Yes, the Civil War guns article was pretty neat. I didnt realize that the Tears of Gettysburg guns was called that or that it had all of the animals with a tear coming from their eye.

I usually just buy it when I see it but did subscribe recently although my subscription was not in early enough to get this copy I dont think.

Enjoyed it also, the Rooster Shooter with the one=piece grips is mine. AND I shot with Lsvista Bill the day he cleaned things. He is just a super guy who writes very well also. Thumbs up here also.

Cover Photo

I like that magazine too. Especially articles by Bottom Dealing Mike. Most of the stuff he writes about are things I have going on, plus he will fill you in on things you have questions about. He loves that smokey powder too. That is the advantage of having a CAS shooter writing articles. I should say Denis Prisbey aka Mr. Bubbles will answer you too about this or that.

+ 1. Great article on the Puma 87.

Roy

The down side to GOTOW is that when they print an article on a particular cowboy gun (like the Uberti 1858 Remington New Army conversion in the last issue) it creates a run on that particular item, and it's months before they can be had anywhere.

Any reviews of the new Merwin Hulbert?

;):lol::huh::lol:

+ 1. Great article on the Puma 87.

Roy

Yeah, I started to read that one last night but will have to finish it up today sometime. The start seemed like it was going to be a great article.

So, on the Rooster Shooter, why are the grips not legal? The grooves seem to barely be there looking at the pics in GOTOW. I have seen other grips from other makers that showed finger grooves really well on them....more than this one.

I guess any at all is a no go huh?

I'm expecting to have my Merwin Hulbert in the next month or so. I talked to Mike Blank at SHOT about how they were solving a couple of fabrication issues. Last month the M-H folks called to get a deposit because they we getting ready to start building.

So, assuming all goes well, I'll have one soon and I'll get it written up.

Also, glad a couple of you are liking the M-87 shotgun article.

My only regret is that they ran the Jeff Milton picture so small. I went to a lot of trouble finding a great Milton pic and getting it from the AHS. I'd have liked it to run a lot bigger in the article.

I love Jeff Milton!!!...but in a wholesome manly sort of way. :D

Rube, I believe those grips would be covered on page 5 of the shooter's handbook.

Yep, not long after I posted, I checked just to see. I have never had any type of special style of grip so I was not sure exactly.

Also, glad a couple of you are liking the M-87 shotgun article.

My only regret is that they ran the Jeff Milton picture so small. I went to a lot of trouble finding a great Milton pic and getting it from the AHS. I'd have liked it to run a lot bigger in the article.

I love Jeff Milton!!!...but in a wholesome manly sort of way. :D

Yep, really good reading. Didnt know you were the Author but good work. Its always nice to be able to incorporate an actual historic gun fight into the piece about a certain gun.

When are you guys gonna do some writing about Rube Burrows? ? ? <_<

GOTW is one of my favorite magazines. I have suscribed for a number of years. If you like one issue, you will probably like all of them. The articels do a good job of putting the guns in context of the times and technology. The history mixed with the tests and quality photos is a good combination. I'd like to see an article comparing the labor and steps to make a SAA and a 73 Winchester in when they were new with what it takes today.

Archived