SASS Wire Forum

Colt Hammers

El Muerto Negro

:FlagAm: Contact Choctaw Silver Wolf. He re-profiles the hammer spur at $30.00 each. Has done a number of them for us and I have been very pleased with the results. This has proven to be very beneficial if an action job has already been performed on said handgun. The same hammer is still in the pistol.

Just my $.02.

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson

Howdy

Doesn't bending the hammer spur on a Colt strike anybody as sacrilege?

:FlagAm: Nope! Buy a replacement hammer if you care to. I would not do so to a collectable piece, but a clone or a modern production Colt are the tools and equipment used in this FANTASY sport.

Regards,

Chas B.

El Muerto Negro, Colt doe make a slightly lower and wide spur hammer but they are mighty pricey. when they first came out i had a pair put on my guns that i used for mounted shooting, this was about 2 years ago. i think they charged around $150 a hammer back then but am not 100% positive. you would have to call the Colt Custom Shop. hope this helps some.

RR

I was in the Pietta vendor tent during Winter Range and saw a low profile hammer and other assorted parts that Pietta uses for the Great Western II. Alessandro Pietta (alias Alchimista)was in the tent at the time and I asked him if the hammers would fit my Colts. He said they would if they were late second generations or third generations with floating firing pins in the hammers. He told me to bring them in and he would install them. He also said he would have to put in one of his triggers and a new bolt so as not to affect the timing on my original parts. When I brought my Colts in, it took him about 5 minutes to install the parts and properly time the action. They work great. Hammers were available in color case or stainless and prices very reasonable.

Lily Orleans Mason SASS #46755, is a distributor located in New Mexico for Pietta parts and can be reached at 505 506-7363

I am not going to bend the hammers on my Colts and I am not(shudder)going to put Pietta hammers on them either. Of course, I don't feel the need for speed that some people do. My guns recoil enough that reaching the hammer is not a problem. ;)

I am not going to bend the hammers on my Colts and I am not(shudder)going to put Pietta hammers on them either. Of course, I don't feel the need for speed that some people do. My guns recoil enough that reaching the hammer is not a problem. ;)

Glad you can reach you hammers without any problems.

BUT. Just because you can. Does not mean other can.

Small hands?? Bad Hands???? Injury to you hand???? Arthritis in your hands????

Heck. My hands wake me up at night hurting all the time. I take meds for it every single day.

Many reasons someone might want this done. Especially if they want to shoot one handed

and have some of the problems above.

It's not always about speed.

Al, My response was not aimed at others, only my personal preference. I have small hands, arthritis and take meds for the problem... and I shoot gunfighter. For the vast majority of shooters the reason for modified hammers is for speed and because the guns don't recoil enough to allow the natural roll to put the hammer under your thumb and we both know that!

Hondo Dan showed me his Colts with the Pietta parts installed. They function great. The low set hammers will benefit those with small hands or have physical-medical issues.

For my large hands that low Hammer prevents me from getting the proper grip, the hammer hits the web of my hand.

No Colt parts are modified for this change out. The Colt parts can be re-installed with out a worry at all.

Just remember some parts fitting is required, as well as timing issues. This is not a parts drop-in kinda change.

Knowledge and experience with the Colt Single Action gunsmithing would be advised.

Hondo Dan showed me his Colts with the Pietta parts installed. They function great. The low set hammers will benefit those with small hands or have physical-medical issues.

For my large hands that low Hammer prevents me from getting the proper grip, the hammer hits the web of my hand.

No Colt parts are modified for this change out. The Colt parts can be re-installed with out a worry at all.

Just remember some parts fitting is required, as well as timing issues. This is not a parts drop-in kinda change.

Knowledge and experience with the Colt Single Action gunsmithing would be advised.

Well now I am intrigued. Are these modifications legal for Classic Cowboy? I love my Colt clones, but it would be nice if I could reach the hammers a little easier (and they were short stroked). I have been told not to get too excited about the new SASS Vaqueros with the Montado hammer because I can't use those for Classic Cowboy, but this sounds like it is still Colt parts, just bent a little. Anybody know the legality on this?

I have been told not to get too excited about the new SASS Vaqueros with the Montado hammer because I can't use those for Classic Cowboy, but this sounds like it is still Colt parts, just bent a little. Anybody know the legality on this?

Don't see why not. In fact don't see where the SASS Vaqueros are not legal for CC.

Any SASS legal fixed sight revolver is all it says.

And the SASS Vaquero is that. In the correct caliber of course.

I have been wrong before. But just went over and check the handbook.

Can not see anything that would make the SASS V not legal for CC.

Or any Vaquero old or new with SBH or Montado hammers on them.

Lots of great information Thanks everyone . looks like the pietta parts is the best way . My hands are wide with short fingers like a sausage never thought about

the hammer hitting my hand . Would shooting the great western 2 be like shooting my colts with the low profile hammers ?

El Muerto Negro

BTW;

Hondo Dan brought his Colt's over to my House after Winter range. We took my Cimarron/Uberti artillary model 73 apart and one of his Second Gen Colts that had the low hammers. The Pietta Hammer fit in my Uberti.

Remember you need the Hammer,Bolt & Trigger. All three parts are needed for the hammer change.

I'm going to be picking up a pair of the EMF GWII Pony Express in a day or two.

I'm going to get into CMSA (the Lord and my horse willing ^_^ )

Becky Palomino at EMF got me set with a consecutive pair of the Blue & CCH Pony Express models with the turned down hammers. My wife will be trying it out as well and we will be sharing them so I opted for the Colt Lightning style grip for her and the turned down hammers instead of the Bisley hammers. I figured in that configuration I could try them at a SASS match and still be legal. Don't imagine I'll hit much with a 3 1/2" barrel at a SASS match but they would be fun to try any way. :lol:

Buck who's only in it for fun Bisley

Archived