SASS Wire Forum

Road Trip Suggestions

Black Tooth Zach

For spring break, I'm planning a family road trip from central Texas to Ft Knox, Kentucky to visit my brother and his family (and to hopefully buy cheap campaign hats from retired drill sergeants).

We'll be travelling through Arkansas, Tennessee, and into Kentucky.

I plan on going through Memphis to see Graceland, but are there any other stops a little more historical/cowboy along the way that are 'must see'?

Thanks!

Be sure to go to the Patton Museam at Fort Knox. My wife and I detoured to Fort Knox on a trip once to see the gold depository. We were disappointed to learn that you can't get anywhere close to it, so we went to the Patten Museam since we were there. We didn't expect much, but were certainly surprised. Lot's of great armour from the first tanks of WWI all the way through to the Gulf War. Great place!

The Opryland Hotel in Nashville is a pretty cool place to walk around for a few hours. They have huge botanical garden type areas.

The Corvette Museam is in Bowling Green KY. If you like cars at all, it is an interesting stop.

While in Memphis, go down to a rib place on Beal Street. Great BBQ and music!

Be sure to go to the Patton Museam at Fort Knox. My wife and I detoured to Fort Knox on a trip once to see the gold depository. We were disappointed to learn that you can't get anywhere close to it, so we went to the Patten Museam since we were there. We didn't expect much, but were certainly surprised. Lot's of great armour from the first tanks of WWI all the way through to the Gulf War. Great place!

The Opryland Hotel in Nashville is a pretty cool place to walk around for a few hours. They have huge botanical garden type areas.

The Corvette Museam is in Bowling Green KY. If you like cars at all, it is an interesting stop.

While in Memphis, go down to a rib place on Beal Street. Great BBQ and music!

A long time ago I went to basic at Knox and was a tanker for a few years - including 3 AD in Desert Storm. You can bet your boots that I'm going to the Patton Museum.

A long time ago I went to basic at Knox and was a tanker for a few years - including 3 AD in Desert Storm. You can bet your boots that I'm going to the Patton Museum.

I've been to the Patton museum and it's great. But that whole area is really nice. Can't wait to go back. I spent a summer living near fort Knox. Should have moved there.

Hail Spearhead Soldier! I'm an old tanker myself. Patton Museum is a must.....but I'm a closet historian anyhoo, so stuff like that really interests me.

A few "off the wall" ideas...... When passing through Memphis a few years ago, the family and I ate BBQ at Neely's BBQ in Memphis. My wife saw them on a Paula Dean cooking show. The dry rub was worth the price of admission.

If you get tired of the interstate, veer off in Arkansas south of Little Rock and take a little detour through to Hot Springs, AR. You can stop and get a neat lunch, see a few things (like the springs :rolleyes: ) and continue on the same road (as I remember) back around and into Little Rock. Just an idea.

Of course, while passing through Nashville, you can see the Ryman, Grand Ole Opry Show, or the Gen. Jackson Steamboat. I did all of these while stationed at Knox (or back at some school or another every few years) and thought they were all well worth the effort.

Lastly, if you're a golfer, the Ft Knox Golf Course is very fun to play.....it's a lot of up and down.....which those who play in the "flatlands" don't get to do. I learned to play there many, many years ago. I immediately became 5-7 shots better when I left Ft. Knox and played other courses, so that kinda tells you how tough the course is.

Enjoy and Be Safe!

Chick

Last year on the way back home from Santa Fe NM I enjoyed stopping off at

Dixie Gun Works

P.O. Box 130

Union City, TN 38281

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/about_us.php

Any shooter would enjoy poking about the store as fro the rest of your group????

I really like their stuff. I would love to stop there, as well as my two daughters (both CAS shooters). As for my wife, well, it is 3 to 1. So she is out-voted.

Hail Spearhead Soldier! I'm an old tanker myself. Patton Museum is a must.....but I'm a closet historian anyhoo, so stuff like that really interests me.

Hey - nice to hear from you.

Us Spearhead Soldiers are a dying breed now that they have deactivated.

Let me know (PM) if you need a 3 AD patch - I've got a couple of old ones around.

Hey - What did Spearhead stand for? I can't remember all of it:

• S - Strength
  • P - Professionalism
  • E - Excellence
  • A - Action
  • R - Readiness
  • H - Honor
  • E - can't remember
  • A - can't remember
  • D - Dedication

I guess I'm not ready for the soldier of the month board this month!

Take Care,

BTZ

Iffn you git to shute at Knobcreek luk up Fire and Fall back, not a tanker, but a true american hero.....he runs the range at FT Knox...one heck of a guy!!

Cheyenne, who is in awe of guys like him, Culpepper

oh yea, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

T-bone was a tanker too...

Not cowboy, but check out Beal Street in Memphis.

If you're going to be near Bowling Green then consider the Corvette Museum.

http://corvettemuseum.com/

On an historical note there are numerous Civil War battlefields.

http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/tennessee.html

At any rate ya'll have fun, be safe, and bring them purty little girls back to shoot with us soon, ya hear? ;)

At any rate ya'll have fun, be safe, and bring them purty little girls back to shoot with us soon, ya hear? ;)

Thanks for the info.

We are disappointed to miss the match this weekend - we'll just have to come out and shoot with CVV at the end of the month!

Sir, depending on how long you will be in Kentucky, Rockcastle Rangers shot the 4th weekend. you can also stop a see Mammoth Cave National Park. If you have time Park Mammoth Resort where the Rockcastle Rangers are located has some cowboy history, being we have a cave that Jesse James hide out in. Have a safe trip. Shaddai

coondog cemetary

Seriously, this is really cool. Far northern AL

Kentucky Horse Park

Lots of interesting, family fun.

As far as historical, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Civil War museum/battle field/grave site or what have you.

RR

The Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, TN

Smoky Mountain Knife Works

On Line Store

The Smoky Mountain Knife Works is a must stop. This place is as big as a Cabela's or Bass Pro and looks very similar to those inside, but this place has cutlery. I mean knives and knives and knives. It's a great place just to wonder around in. I bought the Bowie knife I carry on my gun belt there and I proudly wear that knife to all my CAS matches.

My Bowie Knife

Sir, depending on how long you will be in Kentucky, Rockcastle Rangers shot the 4th weekend. you can also stop a see Mammoth Cave National Park. If you have time Park Mammoth Resort where the Rockcastle Rangers are located has some cowboy history, being we have a cave that Jesse James hide out in. Have a safe trip. Shaddai

We plan on taking the kids (6 total between my brother and me) to Mammoth Cave.

Should be fun.

coondog cemetary

Seriously, this is really cool. Far northern AL

Kentucky Horse Park

Lots of interesting, family fun.

As far as historical, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Civil War museum/battle field/grave site or what have you.

RR

Not so sure about the coon dog cemetery, but the horse park looks neat.

Was down at FT Knox last summer. May want to check with them as they were moving the entire Armor and Maneuver school to FT Benning. Not sure if they are moving the Patton Museum as well but they were packing up a bunch of stuff.

FT Knox will now be the Army Human Resources Center.

Washington Arkansas is the birthplace of the Bowie Knife. Rezin Bowie had a blacksmith named James Black create the knife and gave it to his brother. Washington is just off I 30 in southwest Arkansas. Black supposedly died before passing along the secret of the knifes making.

Archived