SASS Wire Forum

Painting my shotgun

Howdy ya'll

Been a busy bee as of late. Now I need to tackel a old project and get it taken care of. I bought a Winchester a couple years back with no finish on it whats so ever. That was fine as I got a great deal on it and was figuring on painting it a flat black using Dura coat. But a couple of weeks back I finished another project, my Glenfield /Marlin model 25. It was in sad shape with lite rust on the barrel and faded wood. Well now the wood is GRABBER green and the barrel and action have a graphite color on them. Both are holding up nicely to my range shooting time.

Now my problem. Do I stick with the plain Jane flat black or something a bit bolder? Found a couple of different reds, purples, yellow and of course the grabber green. What ya'll think!! :P:lol:

When I first started CAS in '01. there was a shooter shooting a 97 with a blue or green laminated stock. Looked cool but lots of snide comments behind his back. Still, it was neat.

Shenny

I think you should have yore lead levels checked. :unsure::lol: :lol:

I think you should have yore lead levels checked. :unsure::lol: :lol:

Dangit Andy!! Bob's right!!

I'm a hobby woodworker, the thought of painting wood turns my stomach.

+1

To each his own, but I'm with ya on painting furniture. Which is exactly what I consider wood on firearms to be, functional furniture.

I vote for yellow, it will show up best in photos. :unsure:

I think there was even a John Wayne movie about it, "She Wore A Yellow Shotgun" or something like that.

:lol:

There's Yellowknife up in Canadia, and Yellowhair's Last Stand, and you can call it "Ol Yaller."

Gunzilla also has a pair of red, white and blue Rugers. I believe he also had a set of John Deere green and yellow ones as well.

My favorite, however for a shotgun is to powder coat the metal white, paint the wood white and add pink rose decals. It is then to be reserved for shotgun weddings as it is too formal for everyday use.

Mr Quigley, if your going to pimp up that shotgun, do it right. Chrome the barrels and receiver, in-bed flashing L.E.D. lights in the stock and hang some fuzzy dice from the forearm.

Glad I could help.

Badlands Bob

I'm a hobby woodworker, the thought of painting wood turns my stomach.

In spite of the above concern, Brownells use to sell (don't know if they still do?) a powder coat product for wood stocks that left a stippled finish, black in color and was perfect for military type firearms. That sounds like it would work great for your project as well. Smithy.

Duracoat works great on wood too.

Incriminating photographic evidence

I showed this to my 12 year old girl, and she thinks it is the cutest thing ever.

She asked if we could do that to her guns.

I threw up a little in my mouth when she said it.

I'm looking to camo paint a Marlin 1895 using Brownell's epoxy paints, but it will be camo, not colorful.

If color is what rocks your world, then rock on! I will never be anything but happy for anybody who is having fun and being safe in our shooting sports, whatever flavor that they may choose! :rolleyes:

Doc said my lead was just right. My boss said it's located in my rearend! Don't recall him being in the exam room but maybe there was a peep hole. :unsure:

Ain't painting the wood/furniture. Gonna do the all the metal as it has no bluing anywhere and it's hard to keep the surface rust off.

I loved the ol' Yeller!!! :lol::lol:

I'm looking to camo paint a Marlin 1895 using Brownell's epoxy paints, but it will be camo, not colorful.

If color is what rocks your world, then rock on! I will never be anything but happy for anybody who is having fun and being safe in our shooting sports, whatever flavor that they may choose! :rolleyes:

Camoing a rifle should be done with Krylon. I believe that it is some kind of rule of the universe. No need for fancy stencils either- just pull some branches off of a fern. If you want to get real fancy, throw a mesh laundry bag over the rifle before painting to get a snakeskin look. The Krylon will wear off in the places that you touch and contact areas, but this just adds to the camo.

Doc said my lead was just right. My boss said it's located in my rearend! Don't recall him being in the exam room but maybe there was a peep hole. :unsure:

Ain't painting the wood/furniture. Gonna do the all the metal as it has no bluing anywhere and it's hard to keep the surface rust off.

I loved the ol' Yeller!!! :lol::lol:

Brown it. :D

Chickens in Choppers.... I have had that on my Ipod for awhile. Good cure for insanity when needed.

I gotta say that the Holstein colored firearms would be pretty striking in a B-western class, with a hair on black and white vest and chaps. Might get herded around a little, but it would look cool.

DM

Chickens in Choppers.... I have had that on my Ipod for awhile. Good cure for insanity when needed.

I gotta say that the Holstein colored firearms would be pretty striking in a B-western class, with a hair on black and white vest and chaps. Might get herded around a little, but it would look cool.

DM

I do shoot B-western, th '97 was my first project. It had to have a stock replacement, so I found a take-off chinese one (UGLY wood), and decided to have a '97 that LOOKED B-Western. A short time after, I had an accident that put my Marlin stock into 2 pieces. After repair it needed refinishing and well... what else would I consider ??

The '97 has been retired and I'm shooting a double now, thinking I need to go ahead and do the stock on it too. I do have plans for some "hair-on" clothing to go along with the stocks.

A.Q - Whatever you decide on, GO FOR IT and GO BOLD. You'll have loads of fun and it won't be like everyone else's !~ I have yet to run into another shooter with long guns anywhere close in similarity to these, nor my pistols (genuine, diamondback rattlesnake skin!~)

Constable Nelson shoots a painted SXS. It's a lovely shade of green.

LL'

Well that takes green out of the running. Hate to be accused of being a copycat. :P

Archived