SASS Wire Forum

Rango Animated "western"

Doc Windshadow

http://www.rangomovie.com/

Went last night and aside form some less than cute models used for the characters I quite enjoyed it.

Voice acting was very good with Depp as the lead

it is full of references to a lot of old movies from the "man with no name" films to High Noon and quite a few more

Here is a fairly typical review

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/movies/rango-an-animated-feature-that-doesnt-force-you-to-like-it/article1928987/

While watching the credits I discovered Johnny Depp actually did 2 voices in the film.

It was really good! I'm gonna go again...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

While watching the credits I discovered Johnny Depp actually did 2 voices in the film.

It was really good! I'm gonna go again...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Since you watched the credits, did Clint Eastwood do the voice work for the 'spirit of the west'/man with no name character?

I told my wife it was him, but she wasn't convinced.

Starring:

*Johnny Depp as Rango

*Bill Nighy as Rattlesnake Jake

*Isla Fisher as Beans

*Abigail Breslin as Priscilla

*Alfred Molina as Roadkill

*Harry Dean Stanton as Balthazar

*Ray Winstone as Bad Bill

*Ned Beatty as Tortoise John

*Stephen Root as Doc

*Blake Clark as Buford

*Timothy Olyphant as the Spirit of the West

That dude sounded like Clint Eastwood in the movie. Fooled me.

one of the reviews said that Clint was offered the part but they could not get together on a price for the cameo voice

I think this is one that I will get the DVD (rather than go see it again in the cinema but I might go to a cheap Senior Citizen matinée if I am near the multiplex in the next few weeks it was that good)

Pay close attention to the scene when the town folk are gonna try and rush the jail.Beans grabs an 87 winchester deluxe,the one with the double diamond checkering on the fore end.There is also another one in the rack.Not sure who the advisor was but I got a real kick out of thier choice of shotguns.

I have an 11 year old daughter, so I get to see more than my fair share of kids movies and animated features.

I cried at Toy Story 3 and I thought Despicable Me was one of the best films of 2010 (not best cartoon, mind you - best FILM).

And I went into Rango really wanting to like this one.

Nope.

Disregarding the swing out cylinder Colt SAAs (after all - even Robert B. Parker messed that up in Appaloosa) - the guns were by far the best part of Rango.

The movie was plodding, with limited story arc and odd character attributes that had no bearing on the plot.

The Man with No Name homage was pointless without the inclusion of Eastwod and would have still been pointless even if he had voiced it (but it would have been cooler).

Other than a couple of minor gags - It was not worth the price of admission and I strongly advise against paying to see it.

Archived