SASS Wire Forum

40 years ago today

Big Jake1001

glad you made it back along with everybody else that made it back

• 5 weeks later...

it were 41 year ago this time of year we were preparing to and actually invading Cambodia. Only 25000 Americans had that distinction. I often wonder how many Invaders are left. 1970. Hard to believe it's 2011. Tempus fugit.

Anyhoo, it sure was some exhilarating air over there.

Thanks Blackcat. Actually hereabouts unlike other pinko areas of the nation, just about most everyone welcomed me home. Especially my Dad and all my uncles. Members of the Greatest Generation, they had all seen the elephant in WWII. Only my Dad and his brother are left now. They are both so stubborn and competitive they ain't either one about to go before the other. Last man standing kinda deal. Dad lied about his age to get in the war. Turned 85 coupla weeks ago. Don't get around too good any more, but he can sure walk in and out of the cafe any day. As a boy in the Depression, all they had for supper every evenin' was cornbread and sweet milk. Bless 'em, all those still with us and those gone on over the ridge.... :FlagAm:

Jake

Congrats on getting home. I got home in May of 1969. I thank the Marines and the Army for helping me get back safe. I was a crew chief on an F-100. We worked 13 days and then got a day off. I was night shift supervisor (flight chief) for our flight I was on the 2000 to 0800 shift. It was easier working the night shift but sleeping was tough during the day. Compared to you guys in the field, us guys on the air bases had it easy. I recall the line soldier who was going thru our chow hall one day. Man asked if we got ice cream and ice every day. We had it easy I can tell you. We not only had ice cream and ice, we had steak on Sundays and water for showers one hour out of every eight. My hat is off to the guys that took the war to the enemy in the field. You guys did a realy good job.

My thanks and admiration,

Cherokee Gambler

it were 41 year ago this time of year we were preparing to and actually invading Cambodia. Only 25000 Americans had that distinction. I often wonder how many Invaders are left. 1970. Hard to believe it's 2011. Tempus fugit.

A Company 2-22 Mech Inf. Made the Cambodia trip

Malor Bill

I joined the USMC Aug.'69. Left for VietNam 1970, R&R in Hawaii, back to the jungle. Scout Sniper.

March 7th 1971, the 5th, Marines left VietNam and headed back to the World. Okinawa for 3 days, then on

to Hawaii for customs check. Then to Norton Air Force Base, HOME!!! I headed to LAX for a flight to

San Jose, Calif. Real Home. 30 days leave, then back to Camp Pendelton for 1 more year of duty.

Discharged, March 2nd. 1972. I'll will never forget those who gave. Oo Rah!

Big(whats glad he made it home)Jake

Welcome Home Big Jake.

From one who's got 2 years, 8 months & 10 days for my 40th; not that I count that sorta thing!!! ^_^

2/7 Cav. I remember the Colonel telling us the night before that we were going into Cambodia in the morning. Despite the hot humid evening, I got a little chilly all of a sudden.

I made it back out. My good pard Terry did not.

We weren't expecting mined roads as we weren't expected to show up over there so I think we left the CEVs behind. May have taken half the AVLBs, I don't recall. Not much for an 88 to do. So the colonel "loaned" us to the 1st Cav who seemed to always be short of 88s. Our own 1st of the 10th (Buffalo Soldiers) and 1st of the 69th Armor had plenty. So I spent the invasion retrieving 48s of the 1st and 2nd of the 7th and 1st and 2nd of the 8th (as I recall). May have almost rubbed shoulders there UB.

One thing about recovering 1st Cav tanks, the other tanks always had 360 security so you could work in relative peace of mind. Night ops was especially "fun". No wire to hunker behind except what you carried with you.

We weren't expecting mined roads as we weren't expected to show up over there so I think we left the CEVs behind. May have taken half the AVLBs, I don't recall. Not much for an 88 to do. So the colonel "loaned" us to the 1st Cav who seemed to always be short of 88s. Our own 1st of the 10th (Buffalo Soldiers) and 1st of the 69th Armor had plenty. So I spent the invasion retrieving 48s of the 1st and 2nd of the 7th and 1st and 2nd of the 8th (as I recall). May have almost rubbed shoulders there UB.

One thing about recovering 1st Cav tanks, the other tanks always had 360 security so you could work in relative peace of mind. Night ops was especially "fun". No wire to hunker behind except what you carried with you.

We didn't have any tanks of our own being Airmobile but we did have some 11th ACR folks attached. Must have been them.

Good thing about Hueys is you don't have to worry about road mines. Bad thing about em is they can sure drop you off in the middle of east nowhere! :lol:

Archived