SASS Wire Forum

Best SXS under $1200

rippin kid

I'm turning 50 and my dad wants to get me something special. Well I want a good sxs 12 gauge. What's your idea of the best sxs for our game?

Congrats on the bday and the gift, I turned 50 last year and got pretty much squat.

Unless you are into doing your own guntinkering, I'd look at ones already tuned by one of the cowboy smiths.

At 1200 I think you're in Browning BSS territory, I hear they're great but over my budget.

I'll look forward to reading the replies from folks who know more on the subject.

Grizz

My vote would be an original period gun a Parker or a L C Smith or a Fox

I think an original Colt Would be my cost no object pick that way you could have a pair of SAA and a Lightning or a Burgess rifle and be 100% colt Talk about the style points :lol:

There is no reason that an SKB should price out anywhere near a BSS.

Well when I grew up a BSS was J---pan junk! Still is ta me! I've seen it called a classic SXS on here. Whatever. if its got a Browning name then its got Belgin not far behind in my safe. Course they ain't CAS guns. An SKB is a 600 dollar shotgun, although I've given more.

RRR

Could be, Ray. I've gotten great service from my Fox Sterlingworth and don't intend to switch. But, with the BSS being heavier than an SKB, and the trigger system generally working much better, I'd give the edge to the BSS. Rarity is the only reason either one of these guns is much above $800 today.

Could be, Ray. I've gotten great service from my Fox Sterlingworth and don't intend to switch. But, with the BSS being heavier than an SKB, and the trigger system generally working much better, I'd give the edge to the SKB. Rarity is the only reason either one of these guns is much above $800 today.

Could be, it ain't got nuttin ta do wid what tha fellers do to em, its tha worth of tha gunzs I'm referring to.

RRR

Should be able to find a SKB that has been made competition ready for your budget (I have 2 and didn't pay that much for them) but doubt you'll get a BSS for that.I got both of my SKBs from Johnny Meadows. :D

It all depends what you want out of your game. If you are going to get serious about the sport then I'd say an SKB or a Browning would be your best bet. You should be able to find a really nice SKB or Browning for all done up for that price. If you want an american classic than I'd have to say A.H. fox is a good gun. I don't think one would hold up to 3 or 4 matchs a month and practice 2-3 times a week plus dry fire. After that there is Russian junk and Turkey Junk. Neither country can make a pocket knife let alone a quality sxs shotgun. The steel and craftmanship in the SKB's and Brownings is tough to beat. I think that is why they hold up to the punishment that our sport subjects them to.

Not in this sport, but while shooting skeet a Browning was the name to have on your shotgun short of Perazzi. I would opt for a BSS with my wish list. Smithy.

For the BEST shotgun, I would go with this one :excl:

I think we should make it legal for Wild Bunch competition. :):o:lol:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg/

I'm turning 50 and my dad wants to get me something special. Well I want a good sxs 12 gauge. What's your idea of the best sxs for our game?

At that price (maybe a little more) you should be able to find a ready to go SKB from Johnny Meadows. I haven't shot a Dirt Merchant version but hear they are very sweet as well.

BSS's seem to run a little more ($1400-$1500), are heavier, have a different trigger reset system but get whichever YOU like.

Both are fine guns.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I am lucky to have a Browning BSS and SKB. Love them both, but the SKB is much sleeker and the trigger has a noticeably shorter reset. I got a great buy on the barely-used Browning (under $800)and got the SKB in a trade valued at $1200. I am happy with both of them. The SKB has an inertial reset, so you do need to shoot a load that will set the second trigger. I have had no problems with Remington Low Recoil Target Load (1100 fps), so I don't see that as much of an issue. Best wishes.

Cassalong Hopidy

Depends, if your hearts desire is a Hammer Double, the Pedersoli "Doc Holliday" fits and the Pioneer are the best made Hammer Doubles currently available.

Coffinmaker

I started in SASS about three years ago with less than $1200 invested in all four guns. I am constantly amazed at the money people will spend on their guns. As prices go up, I may eventually spend over $300 on one gun. Even if I have the money, I hate spending it all in one place.

For Cowboy action shooting a SKB or Browning BSS would be an upper end gun and would serve well. However if You want a SXS for hunting a Parker would be at the very top if I was looking for one. I shoot a orginal Parker that has a two barrel set and orginal case, But One can still find a nice old Parker in that price range. Also as one could never go wrong with a nice A. H. Fox or L.C. Smith neither.

I have found a Parker to out shoot any other shotgun I have ever shot and the price is soon forgot when the shooting starts. I have found the Parker to outshoot the fine English High dollar guns I have like my H&H and Boss Shotguns.

Many years ago, I had to laught when I read a story about side by side verses over and under guns. The author make a excellent point of say "Of course God intended for man to shoot an side by side thats why God made his eyes side by side and not over and under".

Texas Man

Archived