SASS Wire Forum

You make the call

BJT

+3

Play by the rules ,,,, or inform us that you don't ...... Then we won't bother showing-up at any of your shoots ...

Jabez Cowboy

I think I'm being misunderstood,,, I'm saying if you repeatedly point a loaded gun at yourself, such as a gun fighter moving a gun across their own hand or wrist, and it will most likely be cocked, I will let you know what you are doing and you could very well shoot yourself and you continue, I will give you a MDQ. I will not let you shoot yourself just because their is no rule against it.... I never mentioned the holster rule, which does allow you to sweep your own foot, it also allowes you to momentarily break the 170. I run my shoots by SASS rules, please don't twist what I am saying, I want the shoots to be safe. Bear Creek Reverend

On my range if you point a loaded gun at yourself or anyone else,,,,,,your gone. Sweeping anyone with a loaded gun is MDQ, I consider the shooter to be a someone and included,,,,if it's always been a no call,, maybe that needs to change, it's poor safety in gun handling. If the shooter started with the left gun, I don't see why he would cross arm the pistols, if he started with the right gun, as possible a new gun fighter might do, yes, he could have been pointing a loaded gun at his own hands, and at the very least have the danger in doing that pointed out. Just my thoughts, Bear Creek Reverend

I will bet at least a third or more of your shooters sweep them selves when drawing or holstering their loaded pistols on every single stage and at the loading table. Better close up shop with that many MDQs.

Behind = ((caliber x 3.14) / sqrt(length of arm from end of pinky to tip of elbow in cm))^2.204

as observed by an unbiased group of randomly selected cowboy action shooters compared to a standard 38 partly filled with black powder or a substitute, depending on wind direction and velocity

On my range if you point a loaded gun at yourself or anyone else,,,,,,your gone. Sweeping anyone with a loaded gun is MDQ, I consider the shooter to be a someone and included,,,,if it's always been a no call,, maybe that needs to change, it's poor safety in gun handling. If the shooter started with the left gun, I don't see why he would cross arm the pistols, if he started with the right gun, as possible a new gun fighter might do, yes, he could have been pointing a loaded gun at his own hands, and at the very least have the danger in doing that pointed out. Just my thoughts, Bear Creek Reverend

Bear Creek i have been shooting gunfighter for about 6 years and have never crossed my arms, from the way you talk I am glad I don't shot with you

I believe what is being debated is a Gunfighter trait that happens with new shooters in the GF category. Many of them decide to alternate, which is perfectly agreeable, BUT they bring a pistol BEHIND THE SHOOTING LINE and BEHIND THEIR own other pistol as they shoot. In other words they fire, drop, or pull back their fired pistol and cock, and then do the same with their other pistol. If they cock a pistol BEHIND the grip of another pistol they have broken the 170. If you haven't shot gunfighter, just imagine leaving your hand out in front of you while you cock and aim your other pistol....

Sweeping oneself is sweeping.... This is a liability issue, period!

This is hard for RO's to judge, so is another reason for the GF rules! I don't always agree with not being able to holster my pistols on empty shells, but as an RO II totally understand!

If that is not the original situ, then please enlighten us!!

Thank you Velvet Glove, this is what I am talking about. I have watched some beginning gunfighters and they did in fact shoot cross guns, and the gun that was coming up next was cocked and crossed their hand, an accident waiting to happen, and the liability issue is high. I realize there is always going to be a brief sweeping of the shooter when drawing a pistol and reholster, that's not what I'm talking about. I take safety very serious, and if I see a potential accident, I try and stop it before it happens. I have several friends that shoot gunfighter and they keep both guns out, in a safe manor. A TO upon hearing what he thinks to be a squib, will try and stop the shooter, but, with a fast shooter, you won't have a chance, but you still try and keep them safe. BCR

I don't know how anyone else would shoot the stage in question,but I would keep the left revolver pointed at P1 and the only gun I would actually move,would be the right one.There would be no crossing of guns and the right gun muzzle might be slightly behind the left as I engage targets 5 and 6 ,but as Widder said it would only be a very short distance and the pistols would be,what about 3.3 feet apart.

The part that puzzles me is "shooting out of category",how do you figure that one? Even if the shooter in question did have one revolver behind the other what category would he be shooting in? The blow my hand off category? lol

If you followed the instructions that BJT gave you would NEVER sweep yourself (if you did it would be a no call).

The whole point is that if your LEFT ARM is pointing straight ahead and your RIGHT ARM is pointing to the RIGHT at P6 for your last shot then it would be IMPOSSIBLE for the RIGHT gun to be EVEN with the LEFT gun (and to think my geometry teach was right).....IT's BJT's way of pointing out how a seemingly simple rule is not always so simple.

Stan

Thank you Velvet Glove, this is what I am talking about. I have watched some beginning gunfighters and they did in fact shoot cross guns, and the gun that was coming up next was cocked and crossed their hand, an accident waiting to happen, and the liability issue is high. I realize there is always going to be a brief sweeping of the shooter when drawing a pistol and reholster, that's not what I'm talking about. I take safety very serious, and if I see a potential accident, I try and stop it before it happens. I have several friends that shoot gunfighter and they keep both guns out, in a safe manor. A TO upon hearing what he thinks to be a squib, will try and stop the shooter, but, with a fast shooter, you won't have a chance, but you still try and keep them safe. BCR

Bear Creek Reverend,

See ya Saturday................I'll most likely shoot Gunfighter.......And iffn I did cross pistols (which I won't)

it would be so fast you wouldn't catch me...HeHeeee!!

Cuz I been practisssin. I just hope French Yukon shows up / cuz he's due fer a whoooopin.

Blood Washed

Archived