SASS Wire Forum

Anyone shoot 20gauge BP

Nickel Bill James

Does any one shoot bp out of a 20 gauge, and if so can it be shot in a hammerless Stoger double. If it is possible, what loads do you shoot. Thanks

Never loaded 20 ga. Don't see why you can't do it. BP will certainly not harm a Stoeger. I shoot 12 ga BP loads in my Stoeger all the time. E-mail

Circle Fly Wads and they will probably be able to tell you what you need.

I have one that has never been shot, but bet it would be do-able. And I aint ever bought into the stuff about this being a gun that would have more recoil than a 12ga. The thing is built on the large frame, certainly no lightweight. I think this rap got started by some who shot the older 20s that had their own smaller frame size.

I load 20g bp for my wife. I use Remington plastic wad, but cut it off with razor knife at bottom of cup (i.e., completely remove cushion section of wad). This allows me to squeeze in about 3.4cc of powder and 7/8 oz shot. I also use a thin overshot card to make a neat crimp. Works very well - sufficiently powerful, awesome boom, very light recoil. By the way, there should be nothing about this load that makes it unpublishable on the wire. It is BP after all and you cannot possibly put too much bp in a shotshell. Finally, I highly recommend real bp, not sub. It is cheaper, sounds better, smells better, and produces nice flames. Oh, wife shoots hammerless stoeger sxs, so no problem there. Best of luck and have fun.

One more thing. This load is superior to traditional card wad loads in stoeger because the plastic cup aides in providing a good shot pattern. I have had very poor results using card wads in bp loads with stoeger shotguns - produces donut shaped patterns that fail to knock down anything. Thus, i stick with the plastic cups in both 20g and 12g loads. Amen.

Archived