SASS Wire Forum

Marling 1894c trapper

Has anyone tried or seen a Marlin in .38/.357 with the 18.5" barrel hold 10 rounds?

If so what length round?

I am thinking this is not possible, especially with a .357 round...

Thanx pards,

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Has anyone tried or seen a Marlin in .38/.357 with the 18.5" barrel hold 10 rounds?

If so what length round?

I am thinking this is not possible, especially with a .357 round...

Thanx pards,

JJJ-D

The 18.5 inch carbine will hold 10 of all 38 loads and most 357s with a bit of work on the mag spring. Of course if you get silly with 357 OAL it will only hold 9. This assumes that the mag is almost as long as the barrel. Some were made with very short mags and will only hold 5 or 6 rounds.

The 18.5 inch carbine will hold 10 of all 38 loads and most 357s with a bit of work on the mag spring. Of course if you get silly with 357 OAL it will only hold 9. This assumes that the mag is almost as long as the barrel. Some were made with very short mags and will only hold 5 or 6 rounds.

O.K. the rounds are at 1.52". The last round is about 1/8" from going in. The base of the round is at the edge of the loading gate.

I hate to cut too much off the spring, any idea how long for the mag spring?

JJJ-D

So remove the spring and compress it and count the number of turns that have to be removed to get that last round loaded. Put uncut spring back in and see bow much spring remains if you were to make that cut. You don't need much spring sticking out of mag.

Cut the spring short enough to get the tenth round in and then stretch the spring. Keep your mag tube clean and

you should have no problem with feeding from the tube.

Thanx for all the replies....

I went for it and just kept trimming until all 10 rounds went in, seems like I hadta take a lot more than my other marlins.

Maybe there was a longer spring, like fer a 24", in this one?

I also learned sumtin'. A friend had found the follower would not drop out of the mag tube. Seems there was a bur at the end of the tube where the pin screw goes in to hold the tube to the barrel. Had to file that off as well.

AND I had forgotten 'bout strechin' the spring...

Got all 10 in, now we'll see what happens at the range! Seems to feed just fine tho.

JJJ-D

Archived