SASS Wire Forum

Winchester '97 function problem

PecosPaul

Howdy Pards,

I have a Norinco '97 that is not releasing a shell from the magazine tube every time it is cycled. It does some of the time, but not always.

Looking closely at the action it looks to me like the right cartridge stop (same side as ejection port) is not getting pushed far enough out of the way to release the shell.

I purchased the gun used - so don't really know the complete history. I was told that it had be smoothed up a little - and I suspect that maybe some (too much) metal was taken off the right cartridge stop where the lifter contacts it to push it out of the way.

If i push on the "button" for that stop (that sticks out the side of the receiver) it easily flexes far enough to release a shell - so I don't think there is anything holding it up that way.

Is this something that any of you '97 users have seen before?

Is there anything that I need to check?

Can I find a part (right cartridge stop) for a Norinco easily - or will I need to weld a little metal back on the stop and file "to taste"?

I only use this for Wild Bunch - and so far that's only one match - so I'm not very familiar with '97s.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

-Pecos Paul

Take the stop out and bend it slightly so the front end will be out a little more and try it. These bend without breaking, you may have to try it a few times to get it right.

Archived