SASS Wire Forum

Johnny Depp to Star in Lone Ranger Film

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/18/johnny-depp-lone-ranger-tonto/

It looks like another Hollywood star is going to make a fool of one of my heroes. I watched the Green Hornet and got the same feeling. Depp will play Tonto. Read the above at your own hazard.

R/S

Fritz

In Spanish, tonto means fool. Sorta fits....

Depp has the potential to make a good Tonto. The selection for producer will determine how good the film is, I'm just hoping that will work out!

They have not yet named an actor play the Ranger - I'm available and I'll do it for 1/3 of Brad Pitt's rate. Are you listening, Disney? :lol:

Hi-Yo and Awaaaay,

TMM

My gut feeling is that they will portray the Lone Ranger as a bumbling idiot and Depp will play the straight man. Tonto will have a bunch of dry humor one liners that puts Kemosabe in place as he molds him into the western hero he should become. In that article, Depp's comment:

Depp, who is part Cherokee, feels a special connection to the role of Tonto. I always felt Native Americans were badly portrayed in Hollywood films over the decades, he says. Its a real opportunity for me to give a salute to them. Tonto was a sidekick in all the Lone Ranger series. [This film] is a very different approach to that partnership. And a funny one I think.

This affirms in my mind that Disney will do something like I'm afraid of to destroy the Lone Ranger that we older folk grew up idolizing. :(

I don't know what the big deal is about Depp playing Tonto. Regardless of his...uh...quirkiness and liberal leanings the guy can act. I think he'll pull it off just fine.B) Ever see him in Dead man(?) the B&W movie about him as an accountant from Cleveland that goes to Arizona for a job and didn't get it? It turns wild from then on, good movie, a little quirky like all his flicks but pretty good IMHO.

<_< I was just posting what Rye Miles has said. The movie Dead Man is a Western genre movie and he pulled it off well. It also had Robert Mitchum in it and Gary Farmer.... who is an Indian.

I think Depp can do great with off beat characters and his portrayal of a border line personality like John Dellinger was very well played, in my opinion. The western that I always wanted to see Depp do was a young JW Hardin, taken from Hardins own auto-bio. Just like my first hope, Jack Nicholson and my second hope, Val Kilmer, I fear that Depp has gotten to old for that part now but would have been perfect for it just a few years back.

Pretty smart casting by Disney.

Tonto is the #2 lead in any Lone Ranger film and had the part gone to a "non Indian" there would have been all hell to pay.

If Depp can claim part heritage, they will still squeal but not as much and Disney puts a true box office draw in the headlines of the film.

Whom ever is cast for the "Lone Ranger" is going to need some serious acting grit to not be overshadowed by the "Side Kick".

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/18/johnny-depp-lone-ranger-tonto/

It looks like another Hollywood star is going to make a fool of one of my heroes. I watched the Green Hornet and got the same feeling. Depp will play Tonto. Read the above at your own hazard.

R/S

Fritz

And remember, GH was supposed to be the LR's great-nephew.

They were also part of the George Tremble line-up of shows out of WXYZ in Detroit. Maybe a "Sgt. Preston" movie to make the trifecta? B) Hmmm.. the sidekick part is "his wonder dog, King".

Would Depp play that part? ;)

Here's a couple of good Lone Ranger trivia questions:

Q: From the old radio programs, what tribe did Tonto belong to?

A: Tonto's Tribe

Q: What was the Lone Ranger's mask made from?

A: From his dead brother's (Captain Dan Reid) vest.

I think he is a good actor and will do well in the part, I'll be curious to see who is cast as the Lone Ranger.

Disney can make some really good movies...Prince of Persia was great.

"XXX" means Wednesday Thursday Friday...right?lol

Any one seen his current "western"?

Rango

http://www.rangomovie.com/

I took the kids to it today and was suprised at how enjoyable it was.

The film played homage to westerns and kept me entertained.

Clint Eastwood even had a cameo in the film as the man with no name and they referred to him as the 'spirit of the west' in the film.

Who cares...so long as the movie doesn't have a PC slant...it'll bring more folks into the "Western" theme movies.

:FlagAm:

Exactly. I've talked to a number of people my age since the new True Grit came out who didn't even know it was originally a John Wayne movie, and have now gone back and watched the original. New westerns are a good thing, even if they are remakes of old stuff. I've never seen the Lone Ranger shows, but I'll see this one if it comes out and maybe find the old series on Netflix or something.

Come on, the original Lone Ranger radio series (which I had on cassette tape) was campy, overacted and AWESOME!!! The TV show was the same (AGAIN, I LOVED IT!) and the movie in 81 was just a little less melodramatic... BUT it had Michael Horse!!! Oh LAWD was he cute! And Christopher Lloyd as a psychotic Butch Cavendish.... It was still campy, but it's supposed to be a bit so! The Lone Ranger and Tonto were put on equal footing, cause the greenhorn ranger was rescued from death by Tonto and then trained; then Tonto was rescued from hanging by Ranger/Reid and the Ranger proved his mettle. Truly was reminescent old school Silver Screen. I agree, it wasn't academy award worthy, but (scared to say it, but it's true!!) neither are many of our old "silver screen" movies, they are meant to interest the whole family. Kids love camp and action. I STILL love them and they have an evergreen message!!! Besides, I almost NEVER agree with the flipping Academy!

I agree Johnny would make a great Tonto, but I also think that Adam Beach from "Windtalkers" would be a great choice with Depp as Reid/Ranger to get the big name in, and he would do the ranger role well.

Vel (just make em handsome and actually know how to ride, shoot and act!) vet (OOPS, this is Hollywood, may be asking WAAAAYYYY too much!!!)

Ever hear Bill Cosby's Lone Ranger & Tonto bit?

Archived