SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 in 44.40

Does Marlin still make the 1894 Cowboy Limited in 44.40. Can't seem to find that model on their website. Hoping someone can give me some info concerning this model... i.e if no longer made, when was it last produced, retail value on current market, etc. And, it seems that Marlins are getting harder and harder to find in the Southeast. Do others find this to be the case?

Thanks,

FV

Fontana Vic

The Marlin Cowboy Limited in 44-40 is no longer produced. I don't believe that Marlin is producing any rifles in 44-40.

I found one for sale 1 1/2 years agp in like new condition for $650 delivered. I believe current pricing would be $700+ if you can find one. There are a couple of carbines on Gunbroker now. One has 6 hrs to go, no reserve,current bid $585.

The other has a buy now price of $1000.00.

Good luck,

Marlin

I have this discussion with a pard at least 3 times a week. For the life of me I would like to know who and how Marlin does its market research. In the past 10 years SASS & CAS took off and Marlin got stuck at the gate. No Marlin Cowboy guns in 38-40 or 32-20. Then they stop the 44-40. Any limited run that Winchester put out in these calibres were gone in no time at all and the resale value of these guns/calibres seem to never go down.

As the saying goes...What do I know I am just the 800# gorilla in the room. :huh::blink::wacko:

Just got one last week. Slickest action job on Marlin I have ever handled (and everyone else that has handled it agrees).

I for one will write Marlin to petition them making limited runs in the classic Winchester Calibers. 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40. I'd like a 20" inch 44-40 and 32-20.

Who's with me?

Vic I think his quotes are a bit high. But like anything else you sell high and buy low. Triple D's I been there done that. Maybe buy the time I get my 3rd set of teeth Marlin will wake up.

I have recently seen original '94s for $600-800 that were in great shape in .44 WCF. You can also find original '92s for under $1000. Neither would ever decrease in value unless seriously mistreated or overly modified.

The bad wrap that '92s get applies to straight-wall modern cartridges. Those guns in original bottle-neck feedings are much better. I have a Rossi '92 that has a good deal of tuning, and I have an original '92 in .38 WCF. Empty, the tuned Rossi is slicker than 90% of any model rifle that I have held. Loaded, that same gun is an obnoxious, clanky mousetrap as it tries to align the cartridge to the chamber.

The original in .38WCF is very slick empty or loaded. The newer rifle cannot come close.

Thanks for this post

It got me off the spot and I just bought a new in box Marlin Cowboy 11 24" octogan barrel in 44-40.

A pard of mine put it up for sale a few weeks ago and I was dithering.

Looks like a done deal for $784 Cdn

Stoney

At one point before the sale to Remington, I believe one of the marketing personel was on one of the Marlin boards asking what calibers they would like to see for some short runs that the guys would buy. As far as I know, nothing ever came of it.

I voted for 38-40 :blush:

Bought a used one last month from a friend. It had been sitting in his safe unshot for over six years. A little honest wear and a few nicks, but slick and smooth.

And yes, I have a .44 WCF fetish...I can't help myself :unsure:

I have recently seen original '94s for $600-800 that were in great shape in .44 WCF. You can also find original '92s for under $1000. Neither would ever decrease in value unless seriously mistreated or overly modified.

The bad wrap that '92s get applies to straight-wall modern cartridges. Those guns in original bottle-neck feedings are much better. I have a Rossi '92 that has a good deal of tuning, and I have an original '92 in .38 WCF. Empty, the tuned Rossi is slicker than 90% of any model rifle that I have held. Loaded, that same gun is an obnoxious, clanky mousetrap as it tries to align the cartridge to the chamber.

The original in .38WCF is very slick empty or loaded. The newer rifle cannot come close.

Howdy

I tend to agree. This old Marlin was the first rifle I ever brought to a cowboy match. I bought it back around 1975, so I don't remember what I paid for it, but it couldn't have been much. I still bring it to matches occasionally, just for the fun of it.

Marlin Model 1894, 44-40, made in 1895

This Winchester was my Main Match rifle for my first couple of years in CAS. I only paid about $600 for it, because it had been refinished.

Winchester Model 1892, 44-40, made in 1894

Sometimes you get really lucky. I found this carbine last year. Out the door for $450, again because it had been refinished. I ran all the way to the checkout counter with this one.

Winchester Model 1892 Carbine, 44-40, made in 1919

Some of these old guns will have pitted bores, both the Marlin and the '92 rifle do, but they are tack drivers anyway. The '92 carbine's bore looks like it just left the factory yesterday.

As far as the machining, and smoothness of the actions is concerned, those two Winchesters make anything made by Rossi today look sick by comparison. Nothing made today comes close to the originals. Plus, they are always going to be made in WCF calibers, no silly 45 Colt rifles made back then. So if you're not in too much of a hurry, keep looking, you just might find an old, refinished rifle for a good price.

Archived