SASS Wire Forum

O/T When is the last time ya

The yolk is on me..

In fact, I got a box of Jumbo eggs (use them for my sourdough hotcakes) and this is the third double yolk I have had this week. I had this one and one more tonite for some eggs benadict.

back to more important news...like Charley..

curley

I once bought a 12-pack of jumbo-sized eggs and they were all double-yolked! :huh:

So... how'd that work out for the eggs benedict~? :rolleyes: I'll feed that to the Kid from time to time, but it's waaaay too rich for my tender innards! ^_^

Had one yesterday. First one I've ever seen

I actually got another one this morning. That makes 4 outta the first 6 eggs in this carton.(still have 6 more to see!!)

This was a store bought carton of Jumbo eggs from Stater Bros.

And the Eggs Bendidict came out very good...I won't be serving it very often but had to give it a try...since retiring I am doing a lot of experimenting in the kitchen...

so tell us some old home egg stories...

curley

PS When ever I get an egg at a resturaunt that has a crust on the edge (and I order over easy!) I call it my gramma eggs. My grandmother would always ALWAY"S serve up eggs with a crust on the edge...became her trademark I suppose.

I find the Jumbos frequently have 2 yolks. And as my Safeway only sells A rated Jumbos and not AA they are cheaper than the smaller eggs! Still not as good as eggs from my own chickens, but I have too much going on right now to build another coop and get chickens again.

I've raised chickens a time or two. I've found that the younger hens often lay double yolked eggs as they get started. Later on they seem to figure it out and settle down to "regular" size.

One time we had a half sized egg and a double sized egg the same day from some young hens. My wife gave them both to a guy who had a couple of young daughters. They were amazed by the double yolk in the one but thought the tiny egg was so cute they wouldn't let their father crack it!

Hey guys, my four years of Cal Poly Poultry Science will not go to waste as I can tell you all everything about double yolks! Prof. Fuller Bullspit had half of it exactly correct in the following;

I've raised chickens a time or two. I've found that the younger hens often lay double yolked eggs as they get started. Later on they seem to figure it out and settle down to "regular" size.

As it turns out, young pullets coming into their first lay cycle lay the oddest eggs you'll ever come across including "double yolks". You will also find sometimes no yolks, or eggs that just have outer membranes and no shell to speak of. The other time this "odd egg" type of thing occurs is after a forced molt. A molt is when a hen goes out of egg production for a period of time for one reason or another (usually feed related). Commercial producers will alter the feed to force the molt on producing hens to give them a break and allow their reproductive system a chance to rebuild (thus increasing their production rate). When they come back into production you will once again get the infamous double yolk eggs. A weird/sick kind of thing to note, is with the older hen what sometimes will happen is a piece of tissue (reproductive tissue) will sluff off and fall into the reproductive tract and be processed as if it were a yolk. Albumen is laid down then membranes and finally calcium (the shell) and is laid like a regular egg. Although I certainly would not suggest trying to eat one of these special eggs, yuck! Smithy.

We buy eggs from a local farmer who has free range chickens, and we run across double yolks fairly often.

Archived