SASS Wire Forum

The people you meet in a gun shop...

Actor Geoffrey Lewis came into the store today to consign a part of his gun collection. I've enjoyed his work in a bunch of westerns like, "High Plains Drifter", "Culpepper Cattle Co.", "Heaven's Gate", "Tom Horn", and my two favorites, "The Wind And The Lion" and "Rough Riders". He is definitley a "gun guy" judging from the stuff he brought in to sell. Kimber, Para Ord, Colt, Springfield, an original Winchester 94 in .32 Special, Benelli shotgun and more. We talked about the movies for quite a while. If you look at his filmography, he's been in hundreds of shows that we've all seen. A real decent, down-to-earth guy. No pretense, no Hollywood BS. Just another gun lover talking about guns in our store. It was quite a treat.

He told me his wife said to him before they came down, "tell him you were in the movies. We might make more from your guns." I told him to tell her I already knew who he was. Who could forget "Who are you" from "High Plains Drifter"? He even did that line for us. But it was cute that he thought he wouldn't be recognized. Anyways.....a nice and classy guy. Sometimes this biz is a real treat.

Personally, I would recognize him quicker from "Catch Me If You Can". A lower budget film about school kids doing a fund raiser to save the school...but drag racing. He played the principal. Must have been pretty cool to get to meet him

Ya he was in Clint Eastwoods "stock company" back then....him and several other guys. I will never forget the evil Confedrate general he played in the Selleck/Elliot film of the Lamore book...of which the name alludes me (either Sacketts or the other one...help me out here guys..

Tell him Curley said hi, and loved his work.

curley

I remmembered it was the Shadow Riders..

Geoff told us one cool bit of Hollywood trivia. It was during filming "Any Which Way You Can" with Clint Eastwood. Eastwood was a HUGE John Wayne fan. There was a massive street fight scene at the end of the movie between Eastwood and William Smith. Eastwood had timed the fight scene in John Wayne's "The Quiet Man" and when he put his together in "Any Which Way You Can", he made sure his lasted 10 seconds longer. Geoff said it was his tribute to the Duke who had died the year before. I love those stories....

Geoffrey Lewis is awesome. I have been a fan of his for years and years.

He was also pretty darn entertaining in "A Woman's Guide To Firearms".

I think his daughter has done some great stuff too.

Would've loved to have been able to converse with him, if I could have gotten over the shock of who I was talking to.

L.T.

That's really cool, Red! Geoff lewis has always been one of my favorites too. He's been in a bunch of movies outside of Eastwood's films, Night of the Comet comes to mind. He played the leader of a slightly nutty bunch of survivalists and I thought he did that part very well!

So many times we know of the actors, politicians and "important peoples" that hate guns but we never hear about the ones like Mr. Lewis who are "gun people". Kind of makes you wonder, don't it?

Or at an auto parts counter:

My brother and his girlfriend were listening to Dr Demento (remember him??) and they were doing a gag on a combo of Beverly Hillbillies and Star Wars....and it was called "Return of the Jed"....my brothers girlfriend was a bit ditsy, and turned and said....Wow, we should go see that!!!

Next day at the parts counter he was telling his coworkers about this "exchange", and someone behind them said "NOw that is really funny".....they turned around and Buddy Epson was standing there...He was another down to earth guy..

Red

if you get any more good stories from GL besure to share them..it sounds like a neat experience..

curley

Actually my alias came in part from his character Eli in Rough Riders, added the Sgt. as a tribute to my uncles, and bought a Rough Rider uniform from the movie.

Very cool. Kind of sad to think about someone liquidating that much of their collection at once though.

Oh yeah! Him! :blush: I guess we don't know whether that was much of his collection or not. Sure a lot of nice gun names in there.

Geoff told us one cool bit of Hollywood trivia. It was during filming "Any Which Way You Can" with Clint Eastwood. Eastwood was a HUGE John Wayne fan. There was a massive street fight scene at the end of the movie between Eastwood and William Smith. Eastwood had timed the fight scene in John Wayne's "The Quiet Man" and when he put his together in "Any Which Way You Can", he made sure his lasted 10 seconds longer. Geoff said it was his tribute to the Duke who had died the year before. I love those stories....

That is just as COOL as is comes. I envy your job on that day. Thunderbolt an light foot is my favorite.

RRR

Salems Lot, a vampire mini series and I think he played one of the first victims. When his friend heard the rocker upstairs and went to investigate, well some pretty scary work.

Seems like he was the one digging the grave for the kid who got bit. I remember the scene

with the rocker. Yeah, Clint had about 12-15 actors who were in his company and in a bunch

of his films.

I didn't realize he was Juliette Lewis' father! Loved him in the Shadow riders, Salems Lot (Didn't he put the shotgun in the philanders mouth?)

Ah, trivia...

I really like him. Good guy or bad guy, he always did a good job. And just a couple of days ago I watched Kalifornia, which I had on the DVR. In it, Juliette Lewis plays the girlfriend of psycho serial killer Brad Pitt. She was very good.

With regard to Kalifornia...

That was a Brad Pitt I can never forget. Like him or not, that was one nasty low life scumbag he played and played very well in that movie.

With regard to Geoffery Lewis...

Very accomplished actor. Glad to hear he is apparently a firearms guy too. The movie 'Way of the Gun' was excellent from a gun POV. Geoff had a smaller part in that one. That movie has a lot of gun handling, covering and moving, shooting, etc. Lots of 1911 work for you Wild Bunch fellers. :) His daughter starred in that one with him as well.

I had no idea Mr. Lewis was into firearms, but it makes me like and respect him that much more. He can play everything from villains to funny sidekicks and has always been entertaining. Too many good roles to pick a favorite.

Good stuff.

How much for the .32 Special?

I'd tell ya, Stump, but I'm afraid Black Harris would call it a commercial post and yank it. I'll send it to ya in a PM.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Or at an auto parts counter:

My brother and his girlfriend were listening to Dr Demento (remember him??) and they were doing a gag on a combo of Beverly Hillbillies and Star Wars....and it was called "Return of the Jed"....my brothers girlfriend was a bit ditsy, and turned and said....Wow, we should go see that!!!

Next day at the parts counter he was telling his coworkers about this "exchange", and someone behind them said "NOw that is really funny".....they turned around and Buddy Epson was standing there...He was another down to earth guy..

Red

if you get any more good stories from GL besure to share them..it sounds like a neat experience..

curley

one Friday afternoon way back when I was in HS my friend and I were out sailing in Newport Harbor in a International 14 and we managed to capsize it right in front of Epsons house on Balboa Island. He walked out on his dock to ask us if we needed any help but we said no thanks and righted it by ourselves.

Besides acting, Geoff Lewis also writes and narrates short stories, the Celestial Navigation series. I think there are 11 CD's so far. I have only heard one, Chapter 3, from 1992. Very interesting stuff.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

right turn Clyde

Back when "Walker, Texas Ranger" was in production, it was mostly filmed around DFW. Chuck Norris would show up at McClellend's Gun Shop in Dallas pretty often to shop. I used to work right close to McClellend's and spent many a lunch hour there browsing. Got to see Chuck once. Owner of the shop also had James Earl Jones come in once. I don't think he is from around here, but evidently he's a gun collector as well.

DID YOU INVITE HIM TO YOUR COWBOY SHOOT? IF NOT, THEN DO IT! THE IND BP SHOOT WOULD BE A GOOD ONE TO! :lol:

CHEYENNE :rolleyes:

A somewhat unrelated second hand story, from some old deer hunting buddies. Some years back they were running the rural back roads of coastal SC looking for their deer running dogs when they came face to face with Ted Turner riding a bike. They stopped and let him know what they were about when suddenly wife Jane peddled up. Due to her speed and breaking to fast she did a slide out and busted her butt, thus causing a few snickers. They said she jumped up and cussed all three of them out and told my two buddies to get the .... off the property and was still chewing on a head hanging Ted when they drove out of sight. It seems that before her big religious conversion her favorite word began with an F!

Archived