SASS Wire Forum

Part for 1873 Rifle

Big Iron Buster

I think that's one of those magic disappearing springs.... I've lost it twice. I discovered that a small spring out of a retractable pen works well if you cut it down a bit to get just a bit of tension on that ball. It's not a critical spring, I wouldn't bother ordering one if you can find something around the house that will work.

Need help finding the spring that holds the ball under the dust cover. Little thing just went bye-bye.

VTI shows the part but no part number? Help.

Thanks,

Big Iron Buster

The technical name is Dust Cover Detent Spring. You can find one here. This is a good go to place for '73 parts.

Howdy

Tricky little devil, ain't it? The first time I took my '73 apart I didn't even know those parts were in there. Took me a while to figure out what the empty hole was for and why my dust cover no longer stayed in place. The original Winchester Model 1873 used a slightly different arrangement to put friction on the dust cover. It had a U shaped leaf spring that bore directly against the cover. Probably not as easy to lose.

send me a pm with your address and I will mail you a few. I have found that the springs out of some old elevator buttons work perfectly. And i have lots of those old buttons.

Archived