SASS Wire Forum

Ladies: What Categories do you Shoot?

Aunt Jen

Thank you all for that wonderful input about women at matches, My guessing is that there maybe between some 5 to 20 percent at matches, more often some 8 or 10%?

And that leads me to ask what categories are preferred by the women?

Traditional (two hand)?

Dualist?

Gunfighter?

Me? Long ago I shot double dualist, but then I moved over to Traditional for more speed. I've shot gunfighter once and found it confusing---which also attracts me because I think it's a growth area for me, if I were to do more of it.

Aunt Jen

Oh, and I think there is a lot to the encouragement and solo-initiative angles.

I got into this with my husband years ago, and now he can't come, so when I do sometimes (rarely) go to actually shoot a match, I go solo. (He is unable to participate due to Parkinson's.) So he, with his family history in the Rev and Civil War eras, was my motivation, and still is. I've made an emotional connection in my heart to the atmosphere and the culture of SASS, and through it to our history and heritage.

But I can see how a gal who doesn't have a man to take her may not consider the sport much. Though women can do very well at it, just like anyone, with practice, it may easily seem like something outside her fun profile. Once into it, though, it can stick.

So how to get the women to want to join in the first place?

Aunt Jen

At the last Pawnee Station match here is the breakout for number in each class. I included the men's classes just for grins.

Grizz

Category: 49 Class Men 15

Category: Classic Cowboy 6

Category: Classic Cowgirl 1

Category: Mens Duelist 6

Category: Elder Statesman 4

Category: Mens Frontiersman 2

Category: Frontier Cartridge 5

Category: Frontier Cartridge Duelist 2

Category: Mens Gun Fighter 7

Category: Ladies 49er class 5

Category: Ladies B-Western 1

Category: Cowgirl 5

Category: Ladies Frontier Cartridge 1

Category: Ladies Senior 2

Category: Ladies Senior Duelist 1

Category: Ladies Wrangler 2

Category: Cowboy 3

Category: Wrangler 8

Category: Mens Senior 8

Category: Mens Senior Duelist 3

Category: Mens Silver Senior 6

Category: Young Guns - Boys 1

Edit to add, we have one lady who shoots gunfighter, but she was off at Winter Range for the match above.

Started out as Traditional then went to L49'er and since October 2010 I've been playing with Lady Gunfighter. I'm still learning but having a blast!! A very good Lady Gunfighter once told me it is the most frustrating fun you can ever have and she was right. I also got into it because of hubby. Started out just dressing up, then keeping score and once I shot for the first time, I was hooked. That was 5 years ago and I have no plans to stop anytime soon. :D

Wife was shooting Ladys Wrangler or Ladys 49er.

She wanted to shoot Duelist. But she did not want to give up her Blackhawks.

And with them not being legal. She skipped it.

This year she switched to Ladys B-Western.

Can think of 4 ladys around here that shoot GFer most the time.

My Wonnerful Hubby didn't want to do CAS, even though he's been shooting since he was a child. I got some guns and gear together and showed up solo. If a lady is looking for an activity/hobby/sport to get involved in, show up to shoot cowboy and get welcomed with open arms. The fellers just fall all over themselves to help out a lady that shows up alone! Hubby came to watch a few times after I had been going to matches for about a year, decided we were having too much fun to just watch and joined.

I started traditional with smokeless, storebought ammo but I saw my first Black Powder Gunfighter and knew that was what I wanted to be when I grew up. It took years to get there but now I'm a bullet-casting, ammo-making, clothes-sewing BP Gunfighter :D

Howdy Aunt Jen, and I like your alias, :) thinking about changing mine to Uncle Jefro, that's what I use for CFDA ;) My gal Hot lead Heather shoots a few different categories, Duelist, GF, and Cowgirl. Most of the time in the warm months she shoots GF, but when it gets cold and the thumbs quit working she shoots Cowgirl, and sometimes she likes to add Black Powder to the mix. :D Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I generally shoot Ladies Frontier Cartridge, but I will shoot Ladies Wrangler when we want to do smokeless. Just ordered my gunfighter guns (while at Winter Range) to do Ladies Frontier Cartridge Gunfinghter....Look out Lou :) By the way was great to meet you!

Painted Filly

I started as Traditional in 2005. Moved to Duelist, Double Duelist, then Gunfighter. Then I was introduced to black powder and fell in LOVE with it! I moved on to Frontier Cartridge and Frontier Cartridge Duelist. But ladies, I have discovered a new passion,

OUTLAW

Shoot pistols and shotgun from the hip, rifle if you prefer. It ain't SASS legal yet, but who cares! It's all about having fun (and being safe)! B)

http://www.outlawshooters.com/

I started out traditional and now shoot duelist. I have ventured to the dark side once and really liked it. someday will do frontier cartridge duelist. I did try gunfighter once but my left hand just did not want to cooperate so maybe someday I will work on that.

Hi Jen,

My first two years out, I shot Traditional. Then, when 49er became a category I shot that when offered. I shot LFC once. When, I "hit" ;) 60, I started shooting LS.

I don't like to stress myself with "category shopping." However, I did shoot LFC because, I was the only one and I'd been wanting to join the "purple feather ladies" for a while. :blush::ph34r:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Howdy!

Started a long time back with Traditional smokeless, then went to Duelist smokeless. Was getting bored, so went to Frontier Cartridge duelist, and recently have taken up Frontiersman. (Tried Gunfighter smokeless once or twice, but didn't have the knack for it.) Also occasionally shoot Classic Cowboy as a duelist, with smokeless.

Usually end up shooting in the male catagories; there just aren't any other lady black powder shooters in this neck of the woods. Prefer big bore and full loads; if it don't buck and roar, I'm not interested...

I shoot Classic Cowgirl. I love my category because I enjoy the challenges of shooting duelist, 45 cal and the lever action shotgun. I have always dressed the part so I figured I may as well shoot it too.

I shoot L49r and use wimpy 38 special loads. I'm happy enough with that because there are usually more in L49r than some of the other women category and I want to see where I place in the pack. It's never first but I am lucky enough it is usually not last either. I think all the categories would be fun at some point in time. Right now I am just trying to get better in the category I am in. I think duelist and gunfighter might be pretty cool.

Howdy Aunt Jen,

I joined up shooting BP LFCD with .45's and absolutely LOVED it..... :wub: but that was before I got into reloading, so I was shooting full factory loads and it hurt my elbow. Ended up at the Dr.'s gettin' a major shot and he told me to lay off it a while so it could recover. Switched over to just LFC for a while and then finally over to smokeless when I got married cuz it was easier to just load for both of us at once. Been shooting Cowgirl a bit, then just started shooting .38-55 Cody-Dixon Single Shot.....what a BLAST!! Not SASS legal, but our club and several others out here offer it. One woman in our club shoots CC and another one shoots Gunfighter, they both really like their catagory. I still like makin' smoke and flames the best....going to get to a night shoot one of these days.

For me....shooting is great, but the people I shoot with are the ones who make it special.

Miss Cubbie

Archived