:ph34r::ph34r:

I been looking at derringers of late and it got me ta thinkin'

What caliber should I get?

Pretty much narrowed it to either .22LR or .38sp...for a new one

What calibers are the oldies?

so what should it be?

JJJ-D

If by "oldies" you mean original Remmington's, they were in .41 Rimfire, and are thus, unshootable, even if in pristine condition.

From what I have seen, .32 S&W Long seems to be very popular, as does .38 Special.

Personally, I'd like to get one in .38 S&W, but as far as I know, the only company that ever made one in that caliber was FIE, and the single one that I have handled, while functional, was not very impressive, and ceratinly not worth the $600 they wanted for it.

If by "oldies" you mean original Remmington's, they were in .41 Rimfire, and are thus, unshootable, even if in pristine condition.

From what I have seen, .32 S&W Long seems to be very popular, as does .38 Special.

Personally, I'd like to get one in .38 S&W, but as far as I know, the only company that ever made one in that caliber was FIE, and the single one that I have handled, while functional, was not very impressive, and certainly not worth the $600 they wanted for it.

Nonsense! I've got an original 2nd Model Remington Derringer in .41 short rimfire. I use it at all derringer side matches. Unless the hinge is broken (not by hot ammo, but by the shooter over opening the action) Remington's are very shootable. Ammo is getting hard to find, but it's out there. I still have about 100 rounds of .41 short rimfire black powder loads left. Sorry, for some reason I don't photos of it. I'll have to fix that.

My second choice is my Sharp's Model 1A Pepperbox chambered for .22 rimfire. I run .22 CB shorts thru it.

My second choice is my Sharp's Model 1A Pepperbox chambered for .22 rimfire. I run .22 CB shorts thru it.

I just saw 2 of these on gunbroker, and one copy made by a company called 'Chicgao Derringer'. Me thinks that's the ticket!

JJJ-D

I have a couple replica double derringers( Hawes and Davis) in .38 special caliber that I use .38 Short Colt reloads in. Hardly any recoil that way. Also found a Miroku Sharps .22 four barrel derringer I use .22 shorts in.

I hold in one hand with trigger held back and thumb cock with opposite hand, very quick for me but speed is relative?

Kid Kneestone

Archived