SASS Wire Forum

US Revolver breaktop question

Hamley

I have a friend that has a US Revolver breaktop. I think it is a 38 Colt.

Are these any good for pocket pistol side match?

This one has S&W grips and they are a little smaller than the frame. How hard would it be to find the correct grips and are the S&W grips worth anything? The S&W grips look to be in great shape.

Edit...

Looks like this one, only in better shape

Thanks,

Hamley

I have a friend that has a US Revolver breaktop. I think it is a 38 Colt.

Are these any good for pocket pistol side match?

This one has S&W grips and they are a little smaller than the frame. How hard would it be to find the correct grips and are the S&W grips worth anything? The S&W grips look to be in great shape.

Thanks,

Hamley

The US Revolver was a low-price line from Iver Johnson Firearms. They are pretty common, and if the innards are not worn out, can make a good side match revolver. Most likely the gun is chambered in .38 S&W, not .38 Colt. Depending on how old it is, it may not be suitable for modern smokeless loads. Got a Serial # that we could date it from? Markings on the barrel?

Sounds like the gun has had some replica S&W grips (perhaps newly made Vintage Grips) put on it that don't quite fit it. New S&W revolver grips would be worth the whole price of a US Revolver in good shape, or more. Vintage MAY be making some US Revolver grips, but I kinda doubt it. One of the larger frame size of Iver Johnson grips might fit it better.

Good luck, GJ

NC Ordnance makes replacement grips for older revolvers.

These older second-rate guns (not S&W) can be okay. I have an Iver Johnson that has seen little wear.

The .38S&W can be a bit tricky since it is .361", not the normal .357". The .32's are all true .312's, provide more metal between the chambers and have less recoil.

Archived