SASS Wire Forum

spent primers

Guest Pukin Dog, SASS#55356-Life

Howdy,

I have about 20 pounds of brass to take to the metal recycler and know that is worth taking. I also have about 10# of spent primers. What metal are they made of? And will most metal recylers pay money for them??

Thanks in advance

Centerfire primers ARE brass (both the cups and the anvils), but with a lot of residual lead contamination. Shotshell primers, though, usually have a steel "battery cup" (the container around the actual brass primer cup). So, a good recycler should take CF primers at "dirty brass" prices. Last dirty brass I recycled brought about $1.25 a pound (a month ago).

Whether any particular one WILL is just up to them. Most scrap yards/recycling firms are small operations run by tight-fisted old men who don't follow many "standards of operations." As such, it is often hard to predict what they will pay for. You just have to ask around. Keep them bagged separate from your cartridge brass and if you find a dealer who wants them, it's extra money in the pocket.

Good luck, GJ

Kinda OT, but while making a move out of my home last week, I was cleaning off my old workbench. I noticed that there was a spent primer in one of the holes that I had drilled to mount some MEC reloaders using the bolts provided with the machine. I coudn't get it out, as it was a perfect fit. So, I just stuck one in all the other holes and called it good. First use for a spent primer that I have ever found.

Dog, here are some prices across the US:

NY prices

Brass 1.65

Dirty Brass .80

Brass Shells .18

Iowa prices

Brass 1.65

Dirty Brass .80

Brass Shells .18

Washington prices

Brass yellow $1.00

Brass red $1.10

Brass mixed $1.00

My deal is save spent CF primers, split cases and anything I can find that is brass. Copper too. Off to the recyclers, receive what they will pay and pay for sheet lead that I find. I also keep my eyes open in the shed for pewter and Linotype,that I pay lead cost for. Why? The guys that work in the shed don't know that pewter is 80% tin and lino is desirable to the smokeless high velocity folks ... plus getting scarce

My spent primers take a trip to the junk yard along with the "bad" brass

That is so un PC!! :lol: Think green my friend, green. Especially if there is lead at the end of the rainbow. . . .

Know what egg shells are good for? Holding eggs together.

Know what primers are good for??????

JHC

As little reminders to wear shoes when reloading.

Have you ever stepped on one of those little SOB's in bare feet?

As little reminders to wear shoes when reloading.

Have you ever stepped on one of those little SOB's in bare feet?

'Bout the onliest time I go barefoot is in bed or in the shower. They do like to embed in the soles of shoes and boots!

They do bring to mind teats on boar hogs and screendoors on submarines. ;)

JHC

Archived