SASS Wire Forum

Hardly any Women at Matches

Aunt Jen

I would come out to shoot without my husband and have on a couple of occasions.

I know you would.. lol... I shot in MO alone a lot, but I was never really alone, everyone at the shoot saw to that. They were all very kind to me and made me feel like a little sister... I love it. Here again I have a BFP that helps me with reloading, we go to the same shoots a lot, and everyone on the posse treats me so darn nice. I love the posse out here... and I will not stop shooting even if the wheels fall off my cart.. lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dressing up.

I enjoy the costuming, as it helps us get into the historical time-warp aspect of it, closer to our heritage.

But I haven't gotten into it beyond just something rather bland.

As Aunt Jen, I think a prairie farm-type get up, complete with an apron, that's rather plain, is best. It's my family Hx, also. So nothing fancy, here.

Course, with my alias: "...I ain't never been to Kansas City for none of them fineries. Though some o' them others sure do look perty..."

Aunt Jen

Course Aunt Jen could have this wild side.. that .. uh.. never mind.. lol... Just teasing you... Shoot however you like, come often and have fun.. that is the best part... I shoot dressed the way I want to dress...

Course Aunt Jen could have this wild side.. that .. uh.. never mind.. lol... Just teasing you... Shoot however you like, come often and have fun.. that is the best part... I shoot dressed the way I want to dress...

:rolleyes:

Well.... :wub:

Aunt Jen

:rolleyes: I would like to see more ladies shooting. Now I do not want this to be taken the wrong way but, for you married ladies, bring your single girlfriends, co-workers, family, neighbors, to the shoots. I am single and just about the only thing I do where I meet people is work and shoot. Atleast I would know we would have one thing in common, (CAS).

Slim

my girl shot with me all the time

till

she had her first granddaughter

my daughers shot with me all the time

till

they growed up and got married

my granddaughers shot with me all the time

till

they moved to North Carolina

I keep tring

my girls, first granddaugher will be olt enough to hold guns sum day

that thar post, sayin, git the word out to single womenz

makes good cents ta me

The shooting sports have always been male dominated. I don't know what you can do to change that really.

Hi Jen,

I think we have less women shooters now than when I started shooting. Partly because several couples seem to have quit shooting and other couples moved away. It seems like most of the folks who have joined us have been men.

As you know, I shoot alone. Every now and then a woman will come out for a match without the husband. It's rare though.

I think we've dropped from 25% to 20% women.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Wanted: cowgirl to join old Larsen for some fun and RV trips shooting around the country. Must have own guns and reloading equipment. If interested, please send photos of guns and reloading equipment.

I have been trying to talk my wife into shooting for five years.......she purchased clothes......leather......I gave her all the guns......I believe she thinks it is a boys club only.

Wanted: cowgirl to join old Larsen for some fun and RV trips shooting around the country. Must have own guns and reloading equipment. If interested, please send photos of guns and reloading equipment.

Now Larson,

You know that ferocious dog would scare one off.

I have been trying to talk my wife into shooting for five years.......she purchased clothes......leather......I gave her all the guns......I believe she thinks it is a boys club only.

Billy,

You need to introduce her to Buffy Lo Gal, Honey B Graceful, Velvet Glove, Shotglass...or any of the many other Texas ladies.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Now Larson,

You know that ferocious dog would scare one off.

Billy,

You need to introduce her to Buffy Lo Gal, Honey B Graceful, Velvet Glove, Shotglass...or any of the many other Texas ladies.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Thanks Allie Mo, that may well help push her to give it a try........she is a SASS member, I just never can get her to shoot.

Thanks Allie Mo, that may well help push her to give it a try........she is a SASS member, I just never can get her to shoot.

I would be happy to tell her how much fun she can have.

I shot about 5 years before the wife started.

She shot a fair amount the first year. Then only a few times the next few years.

But that was because of her work. She says she is shooting more this year. And so far

she has.

But like with most Husband and Wife shooters.

I WILL, go shoot without her.

She will NOT, go without me.

Think that holds true for most. If the husband stops, so will the wife.

But is the wife stops. The husband just keeps at it.

At Comin At'Cha. If I remember right. :unsure:

Our posse had 18 shooters. 8 was Ladys.

I have seen a few single Ladys come out and shoot.

But not many.

But glad to see them when they show up.

The Bar 3 is the only place I would consider shooting without my man.

Because at the Bar 3 I know you guys would help me out if I needed help.

Interesting insights. I'd never really thought about the encouragement side of it.

Hey, I'm coming down for Comin' At Cha in November, you should go to that match! I promise if you need someone to walk to the restroom with ya that I'll go along! :D

Grizz

Dream Chaser I definitely agree with Grizz on this one...

You should definitely go to Comin At Cha.

I won't promise that I will walk to the restroom with you. I've always thought that was silly.

But I will promise to be a friendly, smiling face!

I'll step in and say this. The women that come out and shoot at CAS/SASS matches are "Quality" women ;)

Gosh.. thanks Weedys.. I am simply glowing, glossing, and triping all over my own two feet now.. lol... Just kidding... I have met the best people thru SASS and about everyone has a sense of humor and over looks my sense of humor.. lol..

Lol.. reminds me of the boat and motor.. too funny .. thanks... I love a laugh..

Good Luck with that!! :lol:

Now that is funny... So I see a prenup in this cowboys future.. lol

The shooting sports have always been male dominated. I don't know what you can do to change that really.

hand in the air.. can I tell ya??? In MO I went out to the range a lot.. in AZ I shot in the desert.. and the one thing I found was women like 22s at first... They ease up to 38's and 357's in a lot of cases.. Just what I have seen, they are afraid of the bang and the recoil... Me, I was raised as a tomboy.. not afraid of much.. lol Well, okay a few things.. lol

I would be happy to tell her how much fun she can have.

Thanks Complicated Lady, now she always comes to Comancheria Days at Fredericksburg, Texas.......maybe we can get her out to participate.....

My honey has been coming with me to matches for the past few years.She enjoys dressing up keeping score and the good friends she has made.Well this year she has made the commitment to become a shooter and has gotten her pistols and is picking up her shotgun this weekend.She has inherited my Marlin so I am putting a new shorter stock on it for her.

Not to mention the bonus of there now being another Darksider.The downside of this....I have a few more guns to clean.Oh yes and I think she may start beating me!

Sgt Hochbauer

Larsen, send photo of the camper!!Hee hee

Here's the RV. http://i228.photobuc...r1/DSCF0084.jpg

and the mutt Allie was talking about. http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/DSCF0139.jpg

What a great thread!

I would do this without my wife but it is a lot more fun with her, not only being there, but shooting too. We are lucky to be in an area that has a fair amount of women shooters for local matches. You definitely see more women at the bigger matches because of the banquets (psssst...my better half has a lot of fun shopping and dressing to the nines). At least that is my opinion and I realize it is a general one.

It took me a very short time to get my wife to dress up and attend a banquet, but a solid year to get her shooting. Now she likes the shooting part too and I would not trade the time together for anything!

I'll just add that those of us who are fortunate enough to have our better halfs come hang out with us or shoot with us...are luckier than we deserve.

I am pleased to note that the Warrior Princess is going to Texas State with me this year. She will be shooting her new...

Nikon.

Olen :)

I'll just add that those of us who are fortunate enough to have our better halfs come hang out with us or shoot with us...are luckier than we deserve.

I know my husband would agree. Everytime we go to a shoot he tells me "I'm so glad you shoot with me"

We feel fortunate that we have found something that we both enjoy so much.

• 2 months later...

I know my husband would agree. Everytime we go to a shoot he tells me "I'm so glad you shoot with me"

I agree with you and my brother Buck D. Law! Of course, I also know that Buck is the Greatestestest RO in HISTORY!!!! AND he is my lucky charm, so I agree with him, of course!!! Not to mention the fact that Sugah can manage to find camera angles that flatter me, so, of course I adore her too! Then, they are both so stinkin nice!!!! Hugs!!!!

Sorry Lady, won't be at EOT this year. The planets just didn't align! Have fun and we'll see you at Bar 3 for regionals!!!

V

I agree with you and my brother Buck D. Law! Of course, I also know that Buck is the Greatestestest RO in HISTORY!!!! AND he is my lucky charm, so I agree with him, of course!!! Not to mention the fact that Sugah can manage to find camera angles that flatter me, so, of course I adore her too! Then, they are both so stinkin nice!!!! Hugs!!!!

Sorry Lady, won't be at EOT this year. The planets just didn't align! Have fun and we'll see you at Bar 3 for regionals!!!

V

Winter Range 2011 just finished. Thee was approximate 750 shooters. A good size sample to work with. Second Fiddle Sue and I calculated the percentage of women shooters to be ~25%. It was an easy calc to do since Winter Range gave ya the number of shooters per catagory.

Very few single ladies w/o a special significant other attend it seems.

Blastmaster

Yer gonna find a higher percentage of ladies among the "travelling" shooters. Many spend a lot of time on the road, and the wives either shoot or enjoy the camp life with other wives. Among monthly only shooters, the percentage of ladies seems to be lower.

my girl shot with me all the time

till

she had her first granddaughter

my daughers shot with me all the time

till

they growed up and got married

my granddaughers shot with me all the time

till

they moved to North Carolina

I keep tring

my girls, first granddaugher will be olt enough to hold guns sum day

that thar post, sayin, git the word out to single womenz

makes good cents ta me

My daughter just started, my grandaughter is 2, I figure a couple more years for her...

This is a great thread.......

About 3 years ago I went up to shoot my first match with the Ocoee Rangers. I had mismatched pistols, a worn out Marlin and an old hammered double that I'd had for 15 years or more. Deb went to watch, that didn't happen. First stage, the guys had her outfitted. Lol, her gear was better than mine. On the way home, she said are you gonna be able to afford me some guns too? We joined SASS before they had the scores posted that evening.

She had her guns, leather, etc. the next month. She has gone on a few occassions I had to work on the weekends too.

Archived