SASS Wire Forum

Hardly any Women at Matches

Aunt Jen

I was out at the range the other day just feeling nostalgic with my husband, and someone recognized me, chatted a bit. But I couldn't remember his name, so I asked him how he could remember mine. (I haven't been much in recent years due to Painless' Parkinson's.) He told me there are so very few women who go there to shoot, that he could count them on one hand.

I didn't think much about it at first, but then I wondered what percentage of SASS shooters are women?

Do women enjoy the sport also? Or just go to hang out with their men? Mostly? Or just some rare, out of place gal who was raised on a farm and had too many brothers (me and mine).

Me?

I got into all this and other things with Painless, and I find I've internalized them, so they're mine, now, too. But I do kind of wonder if I fit, sometimes.

Aunt Jen

P.S. I can count the men on one hand, also, if I just keep re-using the same fingers over and over.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have way more men too, but quite a few ladies as well, and seems to me getting more all the time.

I do tend to remember the ladies :wub: names better than the men's names though. :D

Griz, you are a big ole teddy bear.

Thank you for noting that there are more ladies as time goes by. I hope so. I think ladies can enjoy the sport as much as anyone else, and I also find it very empowering and historical.

Does it seem like 5% are women?

Aunt Jen

It is interesting to note that the women one sees at the range are usually accompanying their spouse, but with the men the same story does not always apply. I have seen some women who are now widowers but got their start with their husbands. Smithy.

Guest diablo slim shootist

We have more and more women start shooting at our club.

But our 2 top lady shooters are scaring the men off ill bet.

they beat me like a rented mule all the time. :lol:

Winter Range 2011 just finished. Thee was approximate 750 shooters. A good size sample to work with. Second Fiddle Sue and I calculated the percentage of women shooters to be ~25%. It was an easy calc to do since Winter Range gave ya the number of shooters per catagory.

Very few single ladies w/o a special significant other attend it seems.

Blastmaster

Aunt Jen:

Did a quick sample of 2010 results - Shady Creek Shootists averaged about 22-23% women shooters, about half of whom usually have their names appear above mine in the results sheets!

Count Sandor

At our monthly matches for the 4 clubs I attend regularly I'd say we have about 8-10 women outta 60-70 overall. Some of the top shooters are ladies and they got the men running skeered! :lol: What's really cool is we have about 2-3 wimmen consistently shooting black powder! B) Rye

Quite a few ladies at our club, one in four or five probably, I can think of only 3 who obtain guns and shoot without men to come with, kudos to them.

"Bea Star" who I shoot with at the NW regional has a husband who can't shoot anymore but she shows up, shoots well, works hard. Great lady.

Wish my wife was interested. The more woman shooters we have the better our sport will be.

(You ladies look great in cowboy-cowgirl gear too)

Doc

I just took at look at the scores for the February match at Pawnee Station, there were 17 or 18 lady shooters out of 94 shooters total. I counted twice and came up different. Quick math in my head says that's a little under 20 percent. While I have seen ladies out there without a significant other along, it's not very common.

The match before that there were 22 ladies out of 90 total shooters.

Grizz

Aunt Jen, my wife Lady Cheyenne enjoys every thing about the sport. People,Shooting,Dressing up, and hanging out after the match with are Cowboy Friends! Three years ago

she wouldn't even hold a gun? Cowboy Action Shooting is the best thing that we have ever done. :D

I started only because hubby wanted to and now I am hooked.

Hmmm this information needs to get out to single women! The ratio is on the single woman's side. And you rarely find a cowboy that isn't a great guy!

I have tried to get my wife to shoot, but 3 kids makes it hard, and she spends Saturday cleaning the house as her week is too busy to clean as good as she wants it. Some coy girls have even offered to watch the kids during the match so she could shoot some and they would switch off and shoot through, but she has not done it yet. I tell her all the time those ladies out shoot me and could help her shoot well.

I shot about 5 years before the wife started.

She shot a fair amount the first year. Then only a few times the next few years.

But that was because of her work. She says she is shooting more this year. And so far

she has.

But like with most Husband and Wife shooters.

I WILL, go shoot without her.

She will NOT, go without me.

Think that holds true for most. If the husband stops, so will the wife.

But is the wife stops. The husband just keeps at it.

At Comin At'Cha. If I remember right. :unsure:

Our posse had 18 shooters. 8 was Ladys.

I have seen a few single Ladys come out and shoot.

But not many.

But glad to see them when they show up.

At ~The Cowboys~ monthly match in January there were 27 women shooters out of 138 participants, or roughly 20%. In February the number was 14 ladies out of 86 shooters; about 16% of the attendance. But everyone was at Winter Range.

I shot about 5 years before the wife started.

She shot a fair amount the first year. Then only a few times the next few years.

But that was because of her work. She says she is shooting more this year. And so far

she has.

But like with most Husband and Wife shooters.

I WILL, go shoot without her.

She will NOT, go without me.

Think that holds true for most. If the husband stops, so will the wife.

But is the wife stops. The husband just keeps at it.

At Comin At'Cha. If I remember right. :unsure:

Our posse had 18 shooters. 8 was Ladys.

I have seen a few single Ladys come out and shoot.

But not many.

But glad to see them when they show up.

I would come out to shoot without my husband and have on a couple of occasions.

I'm one of those single women who does go and shoot. I think there are a number of reasons one does not find more single women. One is probably financial. Sterotyping, men are more used to paying for their toys and such whereas women, sterotypically, pay more for their hair, makeup, clothing, and such. I think, sterotypically more men are willing to take a risk and jump into the expense of the sport than women are. I suspect the percentage of women golfers is probably fairly consistent with the percent of women cowboy shooters. I have been lucky in that I have a couple of male friends who help me along. They help me when my reloading press disagrees with me and they give me shooting advice. Even though one finds cowboy shooters, male and female, are willing to help new shooters, one needs someone who will be there to encourage them. Someone who will say, let's go practice, let's go to such and such match, or things like, did you see .... on the wire. I always joke that if there are women and men eating together at a table and a woman decides to go to the restroom she will see if other women women want to go with her but a man just up and goes. Just my 2 cents worth.

:D :D I started shooting SASS as a single woman. Didn't really know anyone very well, but met lots of good pards who gave me good advice, tips, encouragement, etc. Later on met my (now) hubby and he started shooting at the same clubs with me. I've gone to many shoots without him - when he's had to work. We reload, clean guns and practice together. I'm actually worse about buying new guns than he is!! Never met a gun I didn't like!! :lol: We plan on making it to Winter Range next year, but if work doesn't allow it...I will go without him.....I'll miss him, but I'll go! I love shooting, the comraderie, the dressing up.... it's ALL good! :D

Miss Cubbie

I'm one of those single women who does go and shoot. I think there are a number of reasons one does not find more single women. One is probably financial. Sterotyping, men are more used to paying for their toys and such whereas women, sterotypically, pay more for their hair, makeup, clothing, and such. I think, sterotypically more men are willing to take a risk and jump into the expense of the sport than women are. I suspect the percentage of women golfers is probably fairly consistent with the percent of women cowboy shooters. I have been lucky in that I have a couple of male friends who help me along. They help me when my reloading press disagrees with me and they give me shooting advice. Even though one finds cowboy shooters, male and female, are willing to help new shooters, one needs someone who will be there to encourage them. Someone who will say, let's go practice, let's go to such and such match, or things like, did you see .... on the wire. I always joke that if there are women and men eating together at a table and a woman decides to go to the restroom she will see if other women women want to go with her but a man just up and goes. Just my 2 cents worth.

Interesting insights. I'd never really thought about the encouragement side of it.

Hey, I'm coming down for Comin' At Cha in November, you should go to that match! I promise if you need someone to walk to the restroom with ya that I'll go along! :D

Grizz

... so very few women who go there to shoot, that he could count them on one hand....

Men = quantity

Ladies = quality :)

I got shooting because of my husband. Due to his work schedule I go to shoots all the time with out him...today for example. I rarely see single women(well there is one but she is part of a couple) where I shoot. We had about 40 shooters at todays match and there were 9 women. I love shooting all the guys that I shoot with are great and they make shooting fun and I like that everyone of them are respectful to the women that are shooting. I think that is one of the best parts.

Grizz we missed you today! :(

Painted Filly

There are a lot more ladies (locally) now than when I started. It was not uncommon for me to be the only lady at a monthly match in the beginning. I didn't learn to shoot until my kids were almost grown -- getting them out of college let me use some of my money for ME.

The first few big matches I went to were a real treat to see so many ladies. I get the immpression the farther west you go, the more ladies you find.

The fellers talk thier wife into coming by at luchtime and then I get to work convincing them to try a trip to the range with just me - no men, no timer, nobody watching.

I have tried to get my wife to shoot, but 3 kids makes it hard, and she spends Saturday cleaning the house as her week is too busy to clean as good as she wants it. Some coy girls have even offered to watch the kids during the match so she could shoot some and they would switch off and shoot through, but she has not done it yet. I tell her all the time those ladies out shoot me and could help her shoot well.

Uummmm, ever try to help her so she could go? 4 hands clean twice as fast as two, I've heard. :D

Usta shoot with one young single lady in Idaho a couple years ago. She'd never shot any type of firearm until around '06. She was a fair weather shooter, but she was out there with the rest of us otherwise.

Did I mention whe was 72 when she shot her first gun? Yup, she got hooked!

I've tried to get my better half to shoot with me, but she says she isn't competitive. Could have something to do with the fact she uses one o' those 'lectric power chairs, tho. Not period and a bit hard to draw from.

Doc McGee

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Yes yes yes, we need more single women to join us at the range. How else am I going to meet my next ex wife.

:lol:

Yesterday was really, really cold, but about 1/3 of my Rocky Branch Ranger posse were women. All were the wives or significant others of cowboys on the posse. I don't know if their husbands would have left the warmth of the cook fire without them.

I just took a look at this past Saturday's match for the Colorado Cowboys. Nine out of 40 shooters were women. As the weather warms, we get more shooters of both (all?) genders.

Buena suerte, Aunt Jen ~

eGG

We have more and more women start shooting at our club.

But our 2 top lady shooters are scaring the men off ill bet.

they beat me like a rented mule all the time. :lol:

Comin at Cha 2010. I was privileged to shoot on a posse with Iron Maiden. Talk about getting beaten like a rented mule! She's good!

We had 71 shooters at our March shoot, at least 15 were women (most of those RO's), then we have a support group of another 10 or so who score, make lunch, etc,. who are AWESOME and don't even SHOOT!

I always wear my dresses for ladies classes, etc., to help draw ladies! They are SO much more receptive when they get to "dress"! Then we can get them into shooting! Follow the light....... LOL!!

We had 71 shooters at our March shoot, at least 15 were women (most of those RO's), then we have a support group of another 10 or so who score, make lunch, etc,. who are AWESOME and don't even SHOOT!

I always wear my dresses for ladies classes, etc., to help draw ladies! They are SO much more receptive when they get to "dress"! Then we can get them into shooting! Follow the light....... LOL!!

Dressing up.

I enjoy the costuming, as it helps us get into the historical time-warp aspect of it, closer to our heritage.

But I haven't gotten into it beyond just something rather bland.

As Aunt Jen, I think a prairie farm-type get up, complete with an apron, that's rather plain, is best. It's my family Hx, also. So nothing fancy, here.

Course, with my alias: "...I ain't never been to Kansas City for none of them fineries. Though some o' them others sure do look perty..."

Aunt Jen

Archived