SASS Wire Forum

Grips for New Ruger Vaquero

Aunt Jen

The factory grips are too thin for my tastes , so I got a set of Altamont grips to put on the pair that I got before Christmas. Will take them to first shoot tomorrow , having missed the last three due to circumstances. They feel O.K. just handling here at the house , but actual match use will tell for sure.

Good luck , Rex :D

Checkered grips that fits your hand. I have Checkered Buffalo Horn Gunfighter grips by Eagle Grips in all my pistolas. Fits my hand well and does not slip. It may or may not fit you, so my advice is to try out other shooter's grips that you think might fit you in your club.

Hi guys,

Do you have ideas for some grips for New Ruger Vaqueros?

I've been thinking that the shiny ones might slip in the hand on a hot day.

Aunt Jen

Howdy Aunt Jen,

First - I don't think they're at all slippery - if you grasp a pistol correctly it won't fall out of your hand.

I know some folks like to think that the gun should be free to rotate - I find that my hand stays attached exactly

where I put it. If you find your revolver is moving around in your hand and your shooting grip is changed between

each shot, then yes you need to prevent that. Some folks like checkered grips to help - I like to hold on tighter.

All my revolvers have smooth grips - I usually use Eagle Rosewood or Ultra Ivory grips, but my Colt SAA has

Tru-Ivory one piece grips.

I'm having grips made for a pair of Ruger NV's using this gent's workmanship and stock: Chris at Chisel & Plane.

I'm convinced that a beautiful set of grips is mandatory, and I'll hold on tightly!

Even on a hot day I rarely find my hands so wet that I can't wipe them on my pants, or that they make the gun slippery.

Here's what I use so far: My .45's.

The two long barreled guy's are getting the following wood blanks made into grips: My new grips to be . . . . .

The Colt is perfect with the one piece, and the white Ultra ivory grips by Eagle will migrate to the short Ruger . . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Howdy Aunt Jen - I ordered my grips from this company => http://www.gungrip.com/items_041__page0.html

They have a good selection that won't be a budget buster. I got the barked style C153, and they look pretty sharp on my Vaqueros.

Hi guys,

Do you have ideas for some grips for New Ruger Vaqueros?

I've been thinking that the shiny ones might slip in the hand on a hot day.

Aunt Jen

Although you can have them any way you want them; checkered, carved, plain, or smooth. The one's I had made for my one of a kind ROA were just what the doctor ordered and provide a good purchase for me during firing with no slippage at all. http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/5kwkdw3/Ruger%20Old%20Army%20Shopkeepers%20Special/?action=view&current=ONE-1.jpg The folks that made these one of a kind grips for me have a quick turnaround and have reasonable prices. Besides the faux ivory they also carry real ivory including mammoth ivory and just about every other kind of exotic material you could imagine. They are of course Bar S Grips and can be found at http://www.truivory.com/ They are certainly worth a look if nothing else. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a new pair of grips. Smithy.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Hello Jen, you didn't say if you wanted wood, ivory or polymar. I like ivory on my colts but on my Vaquero's I have grips made by Sid Ryan check out his web site you can get them plain or scrimshawed, I like ladies of the evening on my grips ;-) you can go to gun broker and click on gun parts and then go to grips

Good Luck ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Aunt Jen,

I have a pair of the Eagle Checkered Rosewood grips. I love them. They really stay in my hand.

Painted Filly

Archived